• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Subbies 2023!

fkj

Chris McKivat (8)
be nice if Subbies ever decided to let clubs know about division make up

inside sources tell me Div 2 - 7 Teams (4+Colts) Div 3 - 7 Teams ( 3+Colts) and Div 4 14 Teams 2 Grades

You’d have to say the board is out of touch. Gone if the days of Division 2 being 4 and colts. When last years club champs are only advertising coaching appointments for 3 grades and colts what does that tell you

times have changed 3 and colts for Div 2, 3 Grades with Optional Radford colts in Div 3
There's gotta be an investigation, somebody get subbiesbloke on this....

WoodyWoodsman

Sydney Middleton (9)
You ask for the Woodsman and the Woodsman returns.....

Subbies board definitely need to look at the situation of Subbies. Instead of balancing the competitions in terms of club numbers, the easy road was taken by allowing clubs to stay in Division 1 - if you pout enough and you talk about your history, you get what you want.
They will indeed go into the season with a 9 team Division 1, 7 team Division 2 and a 7 team Division 3.
Barker to stay in Division 2, despite only having two grades and colts.... I remember a club last year that was demoted for not fulfilling divisional requirements.....just depends on the role your president has with Rugby Australia.... whoops.....
There will be no fourth grade in Division 2. Only Lindfield, UNSW and Hills will attempt to field fourth grade.

I'm also hearing that one rather prominent club, heavily discussed on these forums in the past, is in real trouble. Financially struggling, player numbers are iffy and the committee is struggling to fill roles. They could be gone within two years. Once I get more information, I'll let you know.

fkj

Chris McKivat (8)

Subbies board definitely need to look at the situation of Subbies. Instead of balancing the competitions in terms of club numbers, the easy road was taken by allowing clubs to stay in Division 1 - if you pout enough and you talk about your history, you get what you want.
They will indeed go into the season with a 9 team Division 1, 7 team Division 2 and a 7 team Division 3.
Barker to stay in Division 2, despite only having two grades and colts.... I remember a club last year that was demoted for not fulfilling divisional requirements.....just depends on the role your president has with Rugby Australia.... whoops.....
There will be no fourth grade in Division 2. Only Lindfield, UNSW and Hills will attempt to field fourth grade.

I'm also hearing that one rather prominent club, heavily discussed on these forums in the past, is in real trouble. Financially struggling, player numbers are iffy and the committee is struggling to fill roles. They could be gone within two years. Once I get more information, I'll let you know.
Why would those clubs bother filling 4th grade? Very difficult to get teams to play away from rest of their club at the best of time (notable exception Epping last year). Guys lose interest very quickly if they dont have a proper comp to play in.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
This is what the people want.

Attachments

• big-oof-size.gif
    big-oof-size.gif
    3.3 MB · Views: 67

Doritos Day

Johnnie Wallace (23)

The Woodsman goes bang.

Three divisions with an odd number of teams - surely not. Maths was never my strong suit but there appears to be an easy fix here... Any chance your sources have been misled?

WoodyWoodsman

Sydney Middleton (9)
The Woodsman goes bang.

Three divisions with an odd number of teams - surely not. Maths was never my strong suit but there appears to be an easy fix here... Any chance your sources have been misled?
Sorry mate, I wish.
Division 1 will see Hunters Hill, Colleagues, Waverley, Mosman, Blue Mountains, St Pats, Forest, Petersham and Drummoyne contest the Kentwell Cup. The last three clubs are listed as they should be ranked and a certain club can’t go down because “they are division 1”.
Division 2 will see Newport, Lindfield, Hills , UNSW, Hawkesbury Valley, Briars and Barker contested the Barraclough cup.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I'd say there are probaly 10 clubs that fit that bill.
Ah but consider this:

I can tell you @Pfitzy its not one of the clubs in the top division, but one that will leave a huge hole. They have been key to mid-division survival in recent years.

So count 9 clubs out of the running. It then becomes the definition of "mid-division", and if they've been responsible over "recent years" it narrows it down further.

What a wonderful web the Woodsman weaves.

oldmate11

Herbert Moran (7)
Any word on the div 3 clubs?

Beecroft, Iggies, Knox, Epping and Sydney Harlequins would be locks for the division. Any guesses on who the last two clubs would be?

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
There's a few tricky questions to answer around the Divisional structures, and trying to answer those started in October last year, speaking to multiple clubs across multiple divisions. I was in several meetings trying to reassure clubs we wanted the best thing for clubs and the wider competition, but we needed to be honest about how we get there.

The Board can't wave a magic wand and suddenly give everyone the ideal numbers for the dream situation. Nor can the Board force stronger clubs to send players to other clubs who need the help.

I realise some of the peanut gallery will drone and squeal and blather on with "Subbies / The Board is out of touch" and to them I say what I've always said:

1) Applications for the Board open every year for you to bring your knowledge and influence to the Union

2) In the meantime, get down to your club and help them out.

DaSchmooze

Syd Malcolm (24)
be nice if Subbies ever decided to let clubs know about division make up

inside sources tell me Div 2 - 7 Teams (4+Colts) Div 3 - 7 Teams ( 3+Colts) and Div 4 14 Teams 2 Grades

You’d have to say the board is out of touch. Gone if the days of Division 2 being 4 and colts. When last years club champs are only advertising coaching appointments for 3 grades and colts what does that tell you

times have changed 3 and colts for Div 2, 3 Grades with Optional Radford colts in Div 3

How is the divisional make up going to improve your day?

If last year's champs are advertising for coaches for 3 grades and colts, it's telling me that last year's champs are having issues with their numbers. I dont know how that's the board's fault? Perhaps you have some solutions that the board could adopt that is going to stop the general populace in engaging in a wider variety of leisure activities, or that is going to assist CHS schools reintroduce Rugby in to their sports offering allowing for more players coming out of school, or is going to create green space in areas where there isn't any, or is going to stop people from travelling now that they can?

Let's hear these suggestions so that the board can remain "in touch".

DaSchmooze

Syd Malcolm (24)
There's a few tricky questions to answer around the Divisional structures, and trying to answer those started in October last year, speaking to multiple clubs across multiple divisions. I was in several meetings trying to reassure clubs we wanted the best thing for clubs and the wider competition, but we needed to be honest about how we get there.

The Board can't wave a magic wand and suddenly give everyone the ideal numbers for the dream situation. Nor can the Board force stronger clubs to send players to other clubs who need the help.

I realise some of the peanut gallery will drone and squeal and blather on with "Subbies / The Board is out of touch" and to them I say what I've always said:

1) Applications for the Board open every year for you to bring your knowledge and influence to the Union

2) In the meantime, get down to your club and help them out.

Exactly

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)

If last year's champs are advertising for coaches for 3 grades and colts, it's telling me that last year's champs are having issues with their numbers. I dont know how that's the board's fault? Perhaps you have some solutions that the board could adopt that is going to stop the general populace in engaging in a wider variety of leisure activities, or that is going to assist CHS schools reintroduce Rugby in to their sports offering allowing for more players coming out of school, or is going to create green space in areas where there isn't any, or is going to stop people from travelling now that they can?

Breakers announced their coaching roster yesterday and pre season hasnt started so I think everyone getting ahead of themselves on numbers. Yes some are backpacking and others playing league but lets wait and see.

DaSchmooze

Syd Malcolm (24)
Breakers announced their coaching roster yesterday and pre season hasnt started so I think everyone getting ahead of themselves on numbers. Yes some are backpacking and others playing league but lets wait and see.

Sorry I hadnt connected the dots to Breakers in my mind. Was more commenting on the advertisement for coaches doesn't correlate to Subbies board decisions.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)

As a Board member, my question on Monday night: what are we getting out of our state/national levies?

Local schools and juniors getting a visit by the DO should get information about their local club - just like AFL and NRL do right now.

Sometimes you talk to someone from the local area, who is involved in rugby, and they have no idea you even exist!

SubbiesVeteran

Herbert Moran (7)

If last year's champs are advertising for coaches for 3 grades and colts, it's telling me that last year's champs are having issues with their numbers. I dont know how that's the board's fault? Perhaps you have some solutions that the board could adopt that is going to stop the general populace in engaging in a wider variety of leisure activities, or that is going to assist CHS schools reintroduce Rugby in to their sports offering allowing for more players coming out of school, or is going to create green space in areas where there isn't any, or is going to stop people from travelling now that they c

Let's hear these suggestions so that the board can remain "in touch"
Could sit here and write stuff as much as like but it’s not going to change anything with the way Subbies operates

my main point will be how can you ask clubs to field 4 and colts when only 4 can realistically do it and then you want clubs barker who can only field 2 and colts to fill in Div 2 spots

Surely you make it 3 and colts to keep the likes of Harlequins, Epping, Savers, Briars, Valley, Beecroft all interested and if asked to step up they aren’t scraping their player pool asking them to double up every week to field 4 grades (then become Blacktown or Knox and end up with 1 grade turning up if they were lucky)

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
my main point will be how can you ask clubs to field 4 and colts

That's the point: ask.

Not force. Not threaten. Not punish. Ask.

If those clubs can't field a 4th Grade then the Division will have to find other ways e.g. Halligan Cup. I don't think we'd get very far telling clubs that any excess players have to go register with another club. Some will leave because they want more minutes.

Of course, I'd rather they leave for another club rather than leave rugby altogether.