• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Subbies 2023!

Tah Man

Larry Dwyer (12)
Firstly, Board only meets once a month, and doesn't handle the competition administration at the day-to-day level.

That said, having 4 more Bye fixtures than expected looks a bit weird, I'll admit. My first instinct is that it is a system glitch.

It's a really frustrating time for a bye, just when teams are building some momentum into the season

Cuz

Allen Oxlade (6)
Firstly, Board only meets once a month, and doesn't handle the competition administration at the day-to-day level.

That said, having 4 more Bye fixtures than expected looks a bit weird, I'll admit. My first instinct is that it is a system glitch.
Most likely to do with each team needing to have 2 byes throughout the season, having 9 teams & only 14 rounds & not wanting to have lots of byes at the end of the season & giving people something to complain about leading into finals....

Champagne Rugby

Stan Wickham (3)
Div 3
1st grade
Savers v Quinns: Quinns should win, they should be able to beat a team that couldn't field 15 1st grade players the previous week, but Manly are back at home and the quins aren't the strongest 1st grade team, Quinns by 12
Knox v Beecroft: Beecroft look promising this year especially in attack have scored at least 5 tries each week, knox meanwhile have struggled (the exception against manly) to score points. I think the slick beecroft backs will be too much for Knox, Beecroft by 19
Old Iggies v
Barker: Iggies haven't played for a month so hard to tell but they looked good in the first game of the season and they will be ready to go. Barker beat this team last year and will hope to do the same, but I think the tables will be turned on last year as I think Barker have regressed and Iggies have recruited well with optimism high playing in Div 3.
2nd Grade
Savers v Quinns: If manly can put a team together I would expect them to be well beaten by a strong div 2 Quinn's.
Knox v Beecroft: Both teams are on 1 win although Knox has played 3 games and Beecroft 1. Beecroft's loss was close and their win was over a team that beat Knox, am tipping Beecroft by 10.
Iggies v Barker: iggies could get another cleansweep in grade this week, this will be a good game with two teams that will likely play very similar styles. I am predicting iggies by 7 who will be fresh and free of injuries which may start to affect teams at this point.
Colts
Manly v Easts: Two undefeated teams coming off good wins and should be a good match, expect easts to just beat manly.
Knox v Beecroft: Another tough game, the best subbies clubs in colts, too hard to split, there's been 2 draws not in colts, so going to cop out and say this one will be a draw.
Iggies v Barker: Both teams are 0/2. Barker have averaged loses of 30 compared to Iggies average loss of 17. Neither is particularly flattering. Tipping iggies as coming off two big losses and playing away may be a bridge to far forBarker.

Denistone_Dennis

Chris McKivat (8)
Round 4 Preview

Div 1

Petersham vs Forest - Should be an interesting encounter here. Forest travelling to the inner west for the 2nd time in 2 weeks will push their depth. Forest gave a really good account of themselves, while they played well were probably a little lucky to get away with the win in the end against Pats. Petersham had a tough day against one of the comp heavyweights last week and will need to rely on their size this week against the smaller Forest team. This will be tight, but Forest to get the chocolates, just. Forest by 3.

Mosman vs Hunters Hill. Thank christ, at least there will be a try of the week nomination next week. Pecking order still being worked out at the top end of Div 1, but expect these 2 teams to be part of it. Mosman handled Petersham comfortably last week, whilst Hunters Hill are coming off the bye and will be fresh after getting home against Colleagues in Round 1. At Rawson, hard to go against the Whales, with set piece to play a big role. Mosman by 7.

Everyone else has the BYE.

Div 2

Hawkesbury Valley vs UNSW - Valley were back to their inconsistent lineup from Round 1 against Lindfield, and we're pretty comfortably put away in the bog at Tryon. There's some talent there, but maybe not the consistency to challenge regularly, especially away from home. UNSW with a big return to form last week, blowing my depleted Epping lads away. Should be interesting to see how they travel. With their best 15 running around at home, Valley will present more of a challenge, but UNSW should have enough. UNSW by 15.

Newport vs Lindfield - Are Lindfield the real deal? Are Newport still Div 2 top dogs? Will be a massive clash this weekend. Lindfield have looked good, but its whether they can step it up against a quality opposition, which was their issue last year. Newport were composed last week, but will need to get a handle on their scrum big time, otherwise all the counter attack in the world won't get them home. Looked like the 10 got injured last week, and he is massive for them. At Porters, I'll give it to Newport just, but could go either way. Newport by 1.

Briars vs Hills - 2 sides licking their wounds a little after running against Newport. Hills were in it for long stretches against Newport and the score probably should have been closer, need to make better use of their time in attack though. Briars will need to come back hard after a big win and big loss in the first 2 rounds. Briars will be better than Round 2, but expect Hills to get home. Hills by 8.

Epping with the BYE. The lads need it to hopefully get some troops back on deck and some guys at training.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Epping with the BYE. The lads need it to hopefully get some troops back on deck and some guys at training.

Numbers have looked OK from the teamsheets?

Training always the issue. You can get away with it in the lower divisions with a few core blokes but when bigger clubs in Divs 1 & 2 are getting their top 2 XVs together every week, that's hard to overcome.

oldmate11

Herbert Moran (7)
Div 3 Round 4 Preview

1st Grade

Knox v Beecroft - Last weeks result and a well rested Beecroff side is not a good combination for the Lofberg boys this week. Too much skill around the park from Beecroft who’ll look to build a lead early and send a message to Sydney Harbour for next week. Knox have a tough run ahead, they’ll need to improve to stay in contention this year. Beecroft by 25+

Old Ignatians v Old Barker - Battle of the old boys and one of the more interesting clashes this week. Could go either way if I’m being honest but Iggies haven’t played in a while which isn’t really their fault, but they may be underdone against a Barker side hungry to fix their poor start to the year. Barker by 12

Manly Savers v Sydney Harlequins - We’ll see if the savers can string together a side this week. Result will never be in doubt though, Harlequins will win comfortably. A home forfeit would be the final nail in the coffin for the savers this year you would think. Quins 30+

2nd grade

Knox v Beecroft - Should be a comfortable Beecroft victory in this one. Knox haven’t been too impressive in this grade so far. Beecroft will look to build momentum again after their Barker loss. Beecroft by 14

Old ignatians v Old Barker - Similar to the first grade preview I think Iggies may be underdone in this one. Barker had a bit of a shock loss last week so it’ll be interesting to see how they respond. Barker by 12

Colts

Manly v Eastern suburbs - This should be a great clash. Expect it to be high scoring with Easts winning by 7

Knox v Beecroft - Match of the round imo. Hard to pick a winner here, if the Beecroft 10 is firing it’s hard to go past them here. Croft by 3

Old ignatians v Old Barker - Probably the two bottom teams in colts this year fight it out for a rare win. Iggies by 5

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Division 4 Round 3:

Sydney Irish
v Chatswood- Irish to take it home on the plastic. They have had a couple of big wins, and I think the Stags can push them, but their kicking game in the wet will be key.

Saints v Mac Uni - the Beacons have a couple of strike weapons that will make the difference up at St Ives.

Raptors v Merrylands - home side lost rounds 1 and 2 by 47-19. I think Merrylands can potentially put on a few more than that.

Rockdale v Renegades - backing the boys ;) long trip to Rockdale and CA Redmond will be wet and the playing numbers for both clubs might be the difference. Bus trip!

Wakehurst v Redfield - the new guys in Div 4 look pretty strong at home. Redfield to just fall short.

En Gage

Frank Nicholson (4)
Checking the team sheets for today, and noticed that the same player has been listed in 2 games for 2 different clubs today. Surname change but 100% the same player. Same thing happened last year, and given the activity on this forum by a representative of 1 of the clubs I find it difficult to accept that they are not aware of it.

Prodigy

Alex Ross (28)
Checking the team sheets for today, and noticed that the same player has been listed in 2 games for 2 different clubs today. Surname change but 100% the same player. Same thing happened last year, and given the activity on this forum by a representative of 1 of the clubs I find it difficult to accept that they are not aware of it.
Juicy

WoodyWoodsman

Sydney Middleton (9)
Salacious..... wouldn't happen to be the same player as mentioned in previous years.....

SticksXI

Bob McCowan (2)
Possibly. Played very early today with one club, then later with another. Must enjoy a drive as well, games were pretty far apart.
Sounds very much like the doing of a club that plays in the Jeffrey Cup

Not saying it is them, but sounds like it

Crashy

Nev Cottrell (35)
ok some early results for the top 3 divs
Div 1 - Shammies beat Forest and HH beat Mosman in Kentwell.
Div 2. Newport downed by Lindfield at Porter, UNSW beat Valley and Hills beat Briars.
Div 3 - Bobbies tore Ignatians a new one, Beecroft beat knox, savers needed saving vs Harlequins.

Eastcoast

Larry Dwyer (12)
Great weekend of footy out at Rawson - Mosman are very strong in the lower grades but we got the better of them in the top 3. Very nerve racking late in the 1's game. Both sides again will be there come finals time.

The particular instance I'm talking about is not Jeffrey.
Did this not go any further - or do we have to start looking ourselves?

En Gage

Frank Nicholson (4)
Great weekend of footy out at Rawson - Mosman are very strong in the lower grades but we got the better of them in the top 3. Very nerve racking late in the 1's game. Both sides again will be there come finals time.

Did this not go any further - or do we have to start looking ourselves?
I'm hoping that 1 of the clubs knows about it and will sort it in house. Here's a hint: Halligan in the morning north of the harbour and 2nd grade south of the harbour.