• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Subbies 2023!

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)
I'm hoping that 1 of the clubs knows about it and will sort it in house. Here's a hint: Halligan in the morning north of the harbour and 2nd grade south of the harbour.

For those who dont have time to play detective cant we just name the clubs. I'm sure you wont be sued.

oldmate11

Herbert Moran (7)
Div 3 Round 4 Wrap

The Winners

Sydney Harlequins
- Good dominant win away from home, they've done well these past few weeks. A win against iggies next week will put them in a good early position for finals footy.

Beecroft - Two wins away from home, however probably not in the dominant fashion they may have expected. Loss in the dying minutes in colts would've hurt with how the tight the competition is in that division. 2nds required a last minute moment of brilliance from their colts 10 off the bench to win the game, saving the 2nds side from a disappointing loss. 1sts were comfortable winners but probably were expecting a bigger margin. They'll need to step it up a gear in all grades if they want to beat Gordon, Easts and Harbour at home next week.

Old Barker - Colts with a very disappointing loss and look way off the rest of the pack in that competition. Despite that, the grade sides had solid wins away from home. With winnable games the next few weeks, BOBS can rebuild from their early season struggle.

The Losers

Manly Savers
- Lot of new faces on the team sheet which is good to see, they have the bye next week so focus should be on gaining numbers and hopefully with that, some more competitive results.

Knox - Good win in colts which could be vital come finals time. Gave a good account of themselves in the grade games, 2nds would be spewing they threw a six point lead away in the final play of the game and 1sts didn't offer much in attack but kept the scoreline respectable. It doesn't get any easier for knox with BOBS and Harbour to come. Will be tough to get results from there unfortunately.

Old Ignatians - Looked well off the pace in the grade fixtures which is not a good sign at home, unfortunately got a reality check this week. Some tough games in the coming rounds could see them slide down the ladder in both grades. Good win in colts however, Barker isn't exactly strong competition in colts.

Denistone_Dennis

Chris McKivat (8)
Div 2 Early Season Wrap

Wet weather weekend for Div 2 gives the chance to see where clubs are at early in the season.

Lindfield (1) - The class Barraclough team and club of the Division so far. Look really settled in 1st grade with a squad that's been developing for a few years, with some additions helping too. While they don't really stand out at anything (perhaps their scrum), just do most things well which has set them apart in Barraclough so far, and certainly did last weekend against Newport. One wonders if their ceiling is as high as some of the others.

Hills (2) - Position on the ladder might be a bit deceiving for these guys. Looked competitive but we're eventually put away by Newport and have been fairly scratchy in their other games. Have the potential to challenge at the business end if they can get a few areas cleaned up.

Newport (3) - Big question here is who will still be around when the European Summer holidays start. Looked to struggle big time last week without the 10, even his brother at 9 wasn't quite the same without that connection. Certainly good enough to take it out again if they can keep guys on the field.

UNSW (4) - Starting to hit their straps now after a big loss first up. Don't look quite the same as last year but are well coached which will go a long way. Games against Newport and Hills over the next few weeks will be big for them.

Briars (5) - Thought they might have turned a corner after Round 1, but still don't appear to have the attack to threaten any of the top teams. Spent almost all the 2nd half against Hills deep on attack but just 1 try to show for it. Certainly work hard around the field but will need some luck from here to put pressure on for finals places.

Epping (6) - Very inconsistent line-ups this year has hampered them in Barraclough. Full strength they can push anyone in the comp, but not a lot of depth to keep the standard up. Bit worried for my spot down the grades if 1s don't get some wins soon. Hopefully next weekend against Valley will be the day.

Valley (7) - Seem to be a very different beast at home versus away. With their best on the field can seriously push the top teams, if they can get them to Epping next weekend it will be a tight game. Think they'll jag a few more wins as the season goes on, probably an upset of one of the top teams in there somewhere.

Through the hands

Stan Wickham (3)
Div 3 the Div to watch this weekend!

First grade sees an early grand final in the making between Beecroft and Harbour, two sides who are already pretty close to the top of their game. Beecroft would’ve been satisfied to break down Knox the way they did, Harbour coming off a bye should be very physical.

Can’t see iggies getting too close to Harlequins. Harlequins had a good grind out win against Knox followed up by a thumping of Savers, they’ll have plenty of confidence. Iggies have still only played the two games with the Manly forfeit. Their most recent a thumping by Barker.

Lastly a blockbuster between two very old rivals who haven’t played each other in god knows how long it’s Knox and Barker. Expecting some fireworks across all 3 grades, Knox colts too strong but predicting a very tight one in first grade. Ladies day at Turramurra I’m sure we’ll see a few players come out of the shadows to put the boots on in this one from both sides.

Savers a much needed two weeks off including the wet weather round.

Eastcoast

Larry Dwyer (12)
Div 3 the Div to watch this weekend!
With all due respect. There are some cracking games in Div 1 this week.

Expecting each game to be decided by less than 7 points and go down to the last play. I feel the strongest 8 teams are playing this week. In saying that, Forest are much improved from last year, will probably and would most likely win Div 2 with their current team.

Mosman - Mountains. Great day expected here - I think I saw 6 grades plus colts happening at Rawson. Get there early, take a chair, take an esky and hopefully someone brings you a Whale Burger. Ill take Mosman just due to the long road trip, but with very minimal confidence. Blueys look much improved with their 9-10 running the show.

Colleagues - St Pats. Colleagues seemed to have lost a few players from last year which has made them seem to be just off the pace a bit. St Pats with a full 15 for 80 minutes should take the chocolates by 3

Drummoyne - HH. Big Road trip for the boys over the bridge. Drummoyne have recruited well. Will be a good battle but there is a great atmosphere at Boronia at the moment. Expect the boys to win by 7.

Waverley - Petersham. I dont know which teams will turn up. I dont know who will win. Both sides can be good on their day, but may not be playing finals this year given the strength of the other 6 teams. Home side by 3

Champagne Rugby

Stan Wickham (3)
Round of the tournament thus far for Div 3.

1st Grade: Every team is versing a team either directly above or below them on the ladder.
Beecroft v Harbour (2v1): Both teams undefeated (3/3), both teams have strike power in the backline, both teams have solid forward packs. Beecroft's defense has been phenomenal only allowing 26 points compared to Harbour's 60, Harbour are the best attacking side scoring 135 points to Beecroft 80. Am going to narrowly side with Beecroft based on their defence which may frustrate a Harbour team which have had their way attacking other sides. Easily the game of the season in this div so far Beecroft by 3.
Old Barker v Knox (5v6): The Schoolboy rivalry reignited, should be a good day with players geared up for it. Both teams are 1/3. Barker posted a solid win against iggies last week and the team looked good, Knox on the other hand have lost in winnable games against Iggies and quinns and only managed to beat Savers. Barker by 12.
Iggies v Quinns (3v4): I was expecting the Quinns to struggle this year, but they have exceeded my expectations, their loses have been against the teams coming 1st and 2nd who I think are a cut above everyone else. Both teams have beat savers and knox. Expect Quinns to get a set piece try or two which will be the difference in a close game. Quinns by 5.

2nd Grade: Super tight competition with 4 teams on 2 wins
Beecroft v Harbour (5v3): Beecroft seem to grind it out and be a second half team leaving their run very late, expect a well drilled Harbour to not allow this to happen Harbour by 7.
Barker v Knox(4v6): Will be close and fiery but expect a solid 2nd grade backline of barker to be the point of difference.
Quins v iggies (1v2): After an earlier setback to Beecroft in round 1, Quinn's have been very good and expect they cohesion and momentum will carry them over the line. Quinns by 12

Colts:
Beecroft
v Gordon (4v5): big game for both teams to keep in top 4. At home think Beecroft will be to strong and I suspect Gordon is losing a few players to higher colts teams the downside of being a 4th grade colts Beecroft by 3
Barker v Knox (3v7): Knox are a good colts team barker are struggling, the only wild card will be if a schoolboy rivarly sees a jump in players for the week. Knox by 19.
Easts v Iggies (1v6) Two side on the opposite end of the ladder - enough said Easts by 28.

TheBigArvo

Chris McKivat (8)
With all due respect. There are some cracking games in Div 1 this week.

Expecting each game to be decided by less than 7 points and go down to the last play. I feel the strongest 8 teams are playing this week. In saying that, Forest are much improved from last year, will probably and would most likely win Div 2 with their current team.

Mosman - Mountains. Great day expected here - I think I saw 6 grades plus colts happening at Rawson. Get there early, take a chair, take an esky and hopefully someone brings you a Whale Burger. Ill take Mosman just due to the long road trip, but with very minimal confidence. Blueys look much improved with their 9-10 running the show.

Colleagues - St Pats. Colleagues seemed to have lost a few players from last year which has made them seem to be just off the pace a bit. St Pats with a full 15 for 80 minutes should take the chocolates by 3

Drummoyne - HH. Big Road trip for the boys over the bridge. Drummoyne have recruited well. Will be a good battle but there is a great atmosphere at Boronia at the moment. Expect the boys to win by 7.

Waverley - Petersham. I dont know which teams will turn up. I dont know who will win. Both sides can be good on their day, but may not be playing finals this year given the strength of the other 6 teams. Home side by 3
Please all roads lead South for the Match up of the day this week!

Oatley are flying with 3/3 and at home taking on the River Boys. Looks to be a grudge match for the ages with lots of bad blood here. I want to tip the River Boys but the head says Oatley in a close one by 1.

The Burra boys are up against The Dukes. Hoping the Dukes can turn around a poor start to the year, but the Burra boys to run away with this one and continue there strong start. Burra by 20.

Toss of the coin between the Colleagues/Convicts boys and Kings. After a good win last week on the road I’m tipping the Colleagues boys to get the job done at home. Colleagues by 7.

After the Burra boys rolled the Sea Lice in Rd 2, the boys will be keen to get there season back on track against the high flying Blacktown who had a surprising loss at home to Colleagues last week. There’s something in the air this year at Blacktown with the Duckman leading a revival at the club. Blacktown by 8.

Hoping Maccabi can get a side on the park this week against Balmain, early rumours don’t look good. Looks to be a long year for the boys after the heights of last year. Balmain by 22.

Get into the lower Divs. None of this hoity toity stuff in Div 1 with Whale Burgers and the like. Just good hard footy!

Waterloo_Ned

Herbert Moran (7)
We are back at Waterloo tomorrow for the first time this year with 3 grades playing.

We have just under 60 players available tomorrow with fresh reserves in every grade. A few handy players are returning with Packs, Melville, Gibbsy all running around in 3rds tomorrow. I hope the good vibes continue on for us as last year our numbers copped a battering by the seasons end.

oldmate11

Herbert Moran (7)
Some great games across the lower divisions today! First notable example is the dominant Beecroft win over Sydney Harbour today. The forwards were evenly matched across the game however the backlines showed a different class with Harbour having no answer to the slick backline moves from Beecroft. Super excited to see the next matchup between these two sides. Second example was in div 4 where Pfitzy's Renegades came from nowhere to upset Sydney Irish with a conversion from the side line after full time to win the game! How good is rugby.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Second example was in div 4 where Pfitzy's Renegades came from nowhere to upset Sydney Irish with a conversion from the side line after full time to win the game! How good is rugby.

Helluva game. Had everything.

Haven't been on here much this week as I was dealing with some stuff away from the park, but I was running the flag (fat guy in the ref's uniform on the western touchline after playing 2s) and it was amazing to see it unfold.

Considering it was basically an entirely new First Grade side, great effort.

Prodigy

Alex Ross (28)
Well done on the weekend performances. I’m gonna go back to the issue that has reared its head here - players registered with multiple clubs.
How do you believe this should be dealt with? Should the clubs involved be informed? Should the player be reported? Repeat offenders, if you investigate it’s popped up again, what happens?
Keen to hear your thoughts.
With the rugby Xplorer system, it seems to be an easy thing to do

Denistone_Dennis

Chris McKivat (8)
Well done on the weekend performances. I’m gonna go back to the issue that has reared its head here - players registered with multiple clubs.
How do you believe this should be dealt with? Should the clubs involved be informed? Should the player be reported? Repeat offenders, if you investigate it’s popped up again, what happens?
Keen to hear your thoughts.
Clubs should be informed from anyone who comes across it, it's a big load to put on clubs to check all team sheets to ensure their registered players aren't turning out for other clubs.

Then once the clubs know, they then have a responsibility to deal with it, essentially your not playing until your fully paid up on rego, show some commitment.

The problem with not staying on top of it is soon enough guys will be looking at ladders and re-registering mid-season heading into finals, stacking 2.0 if you will.

As far as I'm concerned it one chance, it happens a second time you don't play subbies anymore.

Waterloo_Ned

Herbert Moran (7)
We are back at Waterloo tomorrow for the first time this year with 3 grades playing.

We have just under 60 players available tomorrow with fresh reserves in every grade. A few handy players are returning with Packs, Melville, Gibbsy all running around in 3rds tomorrow. I hope the good vibes continue on for us as last year our numbers copped a battering by the seasons end.

Our 3s put on an absolute clinic against Uni winning 40-14. Logan Melville is still one of the most dynamic and consistent players in Suburban Rugby. Mitchy Gibbs also had a few real nice touches and there is still some pace in the old legs. I think I would back our 3s against almost any 3rd grade side, including Hills (I would love to see Josh Ferguson try and run through us this year). In 2s, we started real slow with the bounce of the ball not going our way. Down 17-0, once we got our flow of possession, came home to win comfortably 33-17. Tyler Duroux is a very handy player to be running around 2s. In 1s, we have copped our fair share of criticism, but things are coming along nicely. Our forward pack is very big and technical, and how good is seeing pushover tries from scrums and rolling mauls from line outs. I must give credit to Iggies. There trying to do the right thing by pushing a young side and obviously had a few new faces. They got a late try which they fully deserved and I know they will be better when we come to Ryde later in the year.

footy_footy

Chris McKivat (8)
Some interesting results in Div 1.

Early season form suggests we had a semi-final preview - Blueys confirmed they're the real deal with a strong outing at Rawson Park. A one point loss will hurt but they are very close to the top.

Hunters Hill have emerged as early favourites with a pretty convincing win at Drummoyne. Hunters have knocked off Colleagues, Mosman and Drummoyne to start the season and deservedly sit top of the table.

Colleagues return to form with a comfortable win over St Pat's who had a tough day at Woollahra.

Waverley opened their account over Petersham, who appear to be Div 2 bound in 2024.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)

Clubs have raised the fact RX doesn't require a photo as one issue. Subbies has acknowledged that, noting that the photo is not critical to things like finals (where you need to bring ID anyway) but more for day-to-day i.e. clubs checking clubs. Even when Fuse required photos, it was - to put it politely - a mixed bag.

I believe it works like this (in terms of record creation): you might already have an RX profile e.g. I have one because I'm a ref and that's how the ref's association members register each year. Anyone might have RX for a similar reason e.g. Juniors or Schools Rugby - pretty much every other Union was on RX except Subbies and Premier until this year.

If someone has no RX profile they create their account and get a MyRugbyID.

When you go into RX and Register for a Subbies (or Premier) club, it sends your details to Fuse - checks name and DOB and sees if there is a match.
No match = New Fuse Record.
Match = retrieves what is on file under that name and DOB.

I found this out by accident - a guy new to the club this year attempted to register. They thought it didn't work, so tried again *sigh*

I suddenly had two profiles in Fuse with the same details, different birthdates - turns out they'd fat-fingered their DOB on the first profile and screwed up one digit in haste.

The profile with the incorrect DOB had a "new" Fuse profile.
The second profile had their correct DOB and pulled their "old" fuse profile with the correct DOB.

I double checked with Subbies and they did some kind of merge, and now everything is in one place as far as Fuse is concerned.

This system of matching name and DOB basically breaks if no precise match is found, so if you mess up DOB, or spell first name / surname incorrectly, it pretty much thinks you're a new person.

Last edited: