• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Subbies 2023!

Doritos Day

Johnnie Wallace (23)
I’d advise them to contact subbies - maybe they can review the situation if they’ve managed to pull their head out of the sand, to address the absolute catastrophe of the current season. I doubt it though as they’ll be too busy dodging tough conversations and planning their annual lunch oink oink
What is there to review? Maybe the allocation of some $ for a better kicking tee? They still had a kick to win after the referee's error and missed.

The Waverley Walrus

Bob McCowan (2)
IMG_0891.jpeg

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
- European holidays - the answer to any club that has a shit colts program and has realised too late…..

Given Mosman have had between 2-3 Colts in the last few years, you'd hardly call them a shit program. They seem to have their ducks in a row.

Colleagues have had one team in Halligan in addition to Barbour recently. This year they're averaging 17.5 players according to their team sheets, and after a full 23 in week 1 their max has been 18.

Sure, things are going to ebb and flow over time but that's a pretty big indicator not all is well.

Waterloo_Ned

Herbert Moran (7)
I was disappointed in this earning a red card yesterday. How is everyone finding the issuing of yellow and red cards this year?

Last edited:

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Past horizontal. Dropped to ground Head/shoulder contact (notwithstanding he tried to brace with his arm).

That's red every day of the week.

Ref had advantage, consulted with two (experienced) ARs, and made the correct call IMHO.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I'm told that Subbies and the judiciary have been finding the video useful for many of their incidents.

To my mind, Iggies should find a better spot for the camera, as that light pole concealed the tackle given a yellow immediately before, and could be a point of contention in the event of another serious incident.

Last edited:

Waterloo_Ned

Herbert Moran (7)
Thanks for your thoughts. I felt our player eased him to the ground which would have made a penalty. There were 3 red cards in all top grade matches yesterdays. There was one at Mountains but the footage is unclear. This is red at Colleagues/Pats. I am not sure how I feel about it:

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I know what you mean, but the refs get a split second. The Judiciary get time to go over it.

Doritos Day

Johnnie Wallace (23)
I think they're generally going to lean on the side of 'too harsh' given the risk of losing control of the match in an amateur setting where some players just don't give a damn.

Ref_Ted

Sydney Middleton (9)
Thanks for your thoughts. I felt our player eased him to the ground which would have made a penalty. There were 3 red cards in all top grade matches yesterdays. There was one at Mountains but the footage is unclear. This is red at Colleagues/Pats. I am not sure how I feel about it:

For me YC. Even if I deem technically RC would still look to mitigate to YC due to low height of the tackled player who appeared to land on the ball/arm with benefit of replay.

21mm

Frank Nicholson (4)
Just quietly, the scrum that colleagues put down to earn themselves a shot at winning the game was delicious.

Outcome thereafter was decided by a ref and a Back. Neither of whom are very fun at parties.

Ref_Ted

Sydney Middleton (9)
Can you elaborate on what you mean @Ref_Ted ?
My humble opinion only. Understand why RC. Player was low for impact with 5, 12 lifted to the horizontal only for 5 to push him to ground which meant he went over horizontal due to 5. I try to take into account action from both players. The low height in real time means little angle for impact on head/neck, pretty sure ball and arm hit first.
Still want to sanction the lifting legs action of 12 though with YC.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
My humble opinion only. Understand why RC. Player was low for impact with 5, 12 lifted to the horizontal only for 5 to push him to ground which meant he went over horizontal due to 5. I try to take into account action from both players. The low height in real time means little angle for impact on head/neck, pretty sure ball and arm hit first.
Still want to sanction the lifting legs action of 12 though with YC.

Gotcha.

On the quins red card: From my pov the tackled player was fairly upright - it appeared like the tackler knew the ball was gone and stood up in contact without grasping, which caused the past-horizontal due to momentum. He could have stayed low and grasped the player and maybe got a different outcome.

I think the arm going out to the ground first marks the danger of the angle. Could easily break your collarbone trying to take all your weight like that as well. That's why driving a player is as bad as dropping a player sometimes.

EDIT I'll give the Pats one a look