• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Subbies 2023!

Champagne Rugby

Stan Wickham (3)
Where else has two ovals available in an enclosed facility?

Grand final for div 3 was played at macquarie uni a few years back and they have two ovals in those facilities.

Logistical problem is availability and whilst you can control entry through the bridge there are multiple other ovals in the facility which will probably be in use so there may be problems distinguishing rugby fans from others - although any smart ticket inspector should be able to tell the difference between a superior evolved rugby fan and a scocer or afl fan

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Give us 12 months* until the developments are done. Still strange to see the ground with those trees missing between #1 and 2

*pending building progression

Who will be first to put a conversion through a window? Lot of balls landing in the construction site on Saturday

Last edited:

Waterloo_Ned

Herbert Moran (7)
The biggest game of the season in Division 3 as Quinns travel to Barker in the last round. The game is set up perfectly for the neutral viewer, with the winner advancing to week 1 of the finals to face Knox. The preparation has been poor, with a forfeit, wet weather and a bye all tied in, resulting in it being over a month since Quinns last took the field. Barker look to have their full contingent back on deck and will fancy their chances at the graveyard.

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)
The Subbies womens 7's GF is this weekend featuring Newport vs Lindfield is to be held at Daceyville over a best of 3 game fixture 3.35pm, 4.45pm and 5.15pm. Well done to both clubs for driving and developing this comp and the strong efforts to intergrate the girls into their respective clubs.

That said, FFS, I am sure Subbies have a reason for this venue and timing and I'd like to hear it. Newport's mens teams are at home for their last game of the season playing for a spot in the Barraclough finals at exactly the same time. Lindfield have a last round bye, so will most likely be at the snow or away enjoying their bye week.

So the GF will be played late in the afternoon, 1.15hr away from one club and 45 min away for the other in front of basically no one. The games are played so late that the Newport girls will not get back to the rugby club till 7.30pm. As I said Im sure there is reasoning behind this, but for a fledgling womens comp to ask its young female chargers to travel for miles, play in front of no one into the early evening on a Saturday night doesnt sound like the worlds best idea if they want them to play again next year and feel part of their respective clubs. The boys from both clubs would turn out to watch if given a chance, they have been denied this.

An alternative would have been to play a 1 game final with 10 min halfs at 3.00pm at Porter Reserve as a curtain raiser to 1st grade in front of 500-700 people. A 20 minute drive for the the Lindfield faithful who Im sure would have turned up in numbers. I'm sure I must be missing something here.

rant over

Last edited:

21mm

Frank Nicholson (4)
The Subbies womens 7's GF is this weekend featuring Newport vs Lindfield is to be held at Daceyville over a best of 3 game fixture 3.35pm, 4.45pm and 5.15pm. Well done to both clubs for driving and developing this comp and the strong efforts to intergrate the girls into their respective clubs.

That said, FFS, I am sure Subbies have a reason for this venue and timimg and I'd like to hear it. Newports mens teams are at home for their last game of the season playing for a spot in the Barraclough finals at exactl the same time. Lindfield have a last round bye so will most likely be at the snow or away enjoying their bye week.

So the GF will be played late in the afternoon, 1.15hr away from one club and 45 min away for the other in front of basically no one. The games are played so late that the Newport girls will not get back to the rugby club till 7.30pm. As I said Im sure there is reasoning behind this, but for a fledgling womens comp to ask its young female chargers to travel for miles, play in front of no one into the early evening on a Saturday night doesnt sound like the worlds best idea if they want them to play again next year and feel part of their respective clubs.

An alternative would have been to play 1 game with 10 min halfs at 3.00pm at Porter reserve as a curtain raiser to 1st grade in front of 500-700 people. 20 minute drive the the Lindfield faithful who Im sure would have turned up in numbers. I'm sure I must be missing something here.

rant over
yeah, bit of a head scratcher.

But as always, subbies have their 'reasons'

The Joy Johnson cup, is the future and will require many more teams to jump on board this concept. If numbers are struggling across rugby, integrating the girls throughout will only bring a positive outcome to that problem.

Oldsoldier

Stan Wickham (3)

That said, FFS, I am sure Subbies have a reason for this venue and timing and I'd like to hear it. Newport's mens teams are at home for their last game of the season playing for a spot in the Barraclough finals at exactly the same time. Lindfield have a last round bye, so will most likely be at the snow or away enjoying their bye week.

So the GF will be played late in the afternoon, 1.15hr away from one club and 45 min away for the other in front of basically no one. The games are played so late that the Newport girls will not get back to the rugby club till 7.30pm. As I said Im sure there is reasoning behind this, but for a fledgling womens comp to ask its young female chargers to travel for miles, play in front of no one into the early evening on a Saturday night doesnt sound like the worlds best idea if they want them to play again next year and feel part of their respective clubs. The boys from both clubs would turn out to watch if given a chance, they have been denied this.

An alternative would have been to play a 1 game final with 10 min halfs at 3.00pm at Porter Reserve as a curtain raiser to 1st grade in front of 500-700 people. A 20 minute drive for the the Lindfield faithful who Im sure would have turned up in numbers. I'm sure I must be missing something here.

rant over
There will be a big contingent from Lindfield out there to cheer them on. It’s a shame Newport won’t get that same opportunity.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Hope Tweedale up their catering game. I was there for the tahs/way/harbour trial day and it took forever just to get a beer

oldmate11

Herbert Moran (7)
Savers have packed it in for the year, forfeiting on Wednesday to Beecroft. I would imagine they go back to square one in Div 5 if they can get enough players to continue the club. Easy to say in hindsight, a big mistake moving to Div 3 this year.

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)
There will be a big contingent from Lindfield out there to cheer them on. It’s a shame Newport won’t get that same opportunity.
That’s great for Lindfield and no doubt they are a strong part of your club and will love the support. As are our girls to Newport and the boys would love nothing more than to support them. But to be honest it’s absolutely pathetic from Subbies to play it when Breakers are playing. Truly mind boggling. Why not play it Sunday at neutral Hassel park so both clubs can support? I suppose we will never know the reason Subbies have treated our girls so poorly. Added motivation for them to win and give a big F you I suppose.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I suppose we will never know the reason Subbies have treated our girls so poorly. Added motivation for them to win and give a big F you I suppose.
Have you tried asking?

Don't get me wrong: I'm loving your impotent rage, but there seems to be a lot of criticism and not a lot of action.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Easy to say in hindsight, a big mistake moving to Div 3 this year.

Hindsight is awesome ;)

It wasn't a bad idea when they had 2-3 grades last year, 2 finals appearances, a new juniors setup, and several new and some other good things happening off the field.

As with a lot of things Rugby, it doesn't take much to knock that off course of late.

footy_footy

Chris McKivat (8)
That’s great for Lindfield and no doubt they are a strong part of your club and will love the support. As are our girls to Newport and the boys would love nothing more than to support them. But to be honest it’s absolutely pathetic from Subbies to play it when Breakers are playing. Truly mind boggling. Why not play it Sunday at neutral Hassel park so both clubs can support? I suppose we will never know the reason Subbies have treated our girls so poorly. Added motivation for them to win and give a big F you I suppose.
I am reliably told the Joy Johnson final series format was decided in consultation with the 4 active clubs (Newport, Lindfield, St Pat's & UNSW) together with Subbies. Perhaps you could take up your grievances with the Newport rep who agreed to this venue, format and date?

I take your point that it is a difficult ask for the Newport team but all involved clubs had a chance to voice any ideas or concerns.

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)
I am reliably told the Joy Johnson final series format was decided in consultation with the 4 active clubs (Newport, Lindfield, St Pat's & UNSW) together with Subbies. Perhaps you could take up your grievances with the Newport rep who agreed to this venue, format and date?

I take your point that it is a difficult ask for the Newport team but all involved clubs had a chance to voice any ideas or concerns.

Thanks for the head up and clarity. I shall!!

Waterloo_Ned

Herbert Moran (7)
I can't reveal my source but I have heard a very prominent and popular club in a lower division has forfeited all grades this weekend.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Unfortunately for all the effort he puts into the club - It seems like Rouse Hill
RENEGADES ;)

Sorry to hear Pfitzy - Hopefully the boys get back up for next week and a finals push

Cheers. I've been out in rural QLD visiting a relative who just got out of hospital, so a little distracted.

It comes down mainly to injuries to our first grade echelon (3 knees, a few shoulders, etc). Additionally the travel factor - we've got guys who live out near Penrith and need to get back for work after second grade

Lastly, there have been a few who don't want to toe the line on paying fees and other club duties, so they've been dispensed with.

Not 100% sure what happens from here.

We will be doing everything we can to get 2 teams on the park against Saints Cove next week.