• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Subbies 2023!

Champagne Rugby

Stan Wickham (3)
Takeaways from preliminary final for div 3 regarding the GF and the seasons as a whole

- Oysters are have the best attack in the division, when they win they put a significant amount of points on the board as they did on the weekend, raising the bat for a half tonne. Oysters convincing win showed the gap between the grand finalists Oysters and Beecroft are everyone else.
- Beecroft was/is the strongest club in the division, they will appear in the GF for 1st grade 2nd grade and were 4 points away from doing it in 3rd grade. Honour mention to Oysters who 1st grade and defacto 2nd grade side also appear in the GF.
- Harlequins should give div 3 a strong shake next year - they lost in 1s and 2s but they showed on saturday they have good numbers and a great club culture, i expect they wont be a div 3 side for much longer. IF only they could find some under 21 players for a few years and manage to retain the players I could see them develop into a highly competitive div 2 side.
- Beecroft colts not making the final could prove a blessing in disguise for the club, numerous colts backed up for 2nd grade last week and it wont surprise me to some of those players listed for the bench for 1st grade next week, this time coming on as fresh reserves.
- Eats colts have now played two intense final games losing by one point and winning by three, they looked to have limitless subs on the weekend, but are there players going to be tired and battered for the final.
- Finishing top 2 was important for this division, every team that was in the Major Semi Final is playing again this week.
- Eric Tweedale is a great stadium and place for finals footy, whilst a little journey for most teams and lacking a popular watering holes for post game celebrations or commiserations, the facilities at the ground are great with an awesome granstand, great changerooms and a nice big electronic scoreboard.

LongTimeListener

Bob McCowan (2)
Some good ideas, however, I'd ask clubs to speak with Subbies and a Division rep from the opposite end of the scale. Division 1 clubs have a meeting with Subbies, a division rep from Division 3/4 and a board member not associated with that division
Tackling player number issues also means that less grades in each Div is naturally going to happen. But planning ahead and having stronger competitions instead of stronger clubs is the right approach. Unless we want to go down the "feeder" path, this is unavoidable. Rather than scraping 4 grades together, is it not worthwhile having 3 stronger grades?

I dont know what the conversation with Newport was, but I bet they knew about players going away hence they didn't want to go up last year? Lindfield in 2024 could have the same problem. This is the challenge with the "euro trip" being some stupid right of passage for young blokes these days..

Side note - would love to see a Subbies Cup. FA Cup style.

LongTimeListener

Bob McCowan (2)
Fully agree but that was the plan for 2023 after the mess at the end of 2022 and we have ended up back at the same spot. We can’t keep saying it’ a reset year and some clubs will be out of place. The system isn’t working and hasn’t for a few years even before covid we were seeing this shift. At some point we need to address how Subbies works in with the bigger Premier clubs
Good point mate. But a "reset" is a FULL RESET and REDESIGN. That didn't happen this year.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Tackling player number issues also means that less grades in each Div is naturally going to happen.

Always the issue. I was talking to a club who want to add another Grade next year because they've got guys complaining about "not enough game time". I pointed out that you'll never have a perfect balance of "not enough" and "too much" unless you've got a very dedicated group who buy into the philosophy, and that relates to:

This is the challenge with the "euro trip" being some stupid right of passage for young blokes these days..

That and the fact young blokes appear to just want exactly the right experience for themselves.
Not too many minutes.
Not too few.
Score some tries.
Win more often than not.
Move on if the club isn't successful.
Tailor the off-field experience to their needs, but be mindful they have other things on so won't be able to support the sponsor pub every second Saturday.
Think about paying their rego because the club *is* getting a superstar and should be grateful for them taking the field ;)

Fully acknowledge that I sound like a grumpy old man!

Denistone_Dennis

Chris McKivat (8)
Always the issue. I was talking to a club who want to add another Grade next year because they've got guys complaining about "not enough game time". I pointed out that you'll never have a perfect balance of "not enough" and "too much" unless you've got a very dedicated group who buy into the philosophy, and that relates to:

That and the fact young blokes appear to just want exactly the right experience for themselves.
Not too many minutes.
Not too few.
Score some tries.
Win more often than not.
Tailor the off-field experience to their needs, but be mindful they have other things on so won't be able to support the sponsor pub every second Saturday.
Think about paying their rego because the club *is* getting a superstar and should be grateful for them taking the field ;)

You forgot to mention play a grade they can dominate and no higher.
Be picked, then decide if they are playing.

Waterloo_Ned

Herbert Moran (7)
Takeaways from preliminary final for div 3 regarding the GF and the seasons as a whole

- Harlequins should give div 3 a strong shake next year - they lost in 1s and 2s but they showed on saturday they have good numbers and a great club culture, i expect they wont be a div 3 side for much longer. IF only they could find some under 21 players for a few years and manage to retain the players I could see them develop into a highly competitive div 2 side.
Thanks for the vote of confidence but just to dispel any rumours, Harlequins will not be applying to move to Division 2. We are happy where we sit for a while and believe it is the best way for the club to move forward.

DaSchmooze

Syd Malcolm (24)

Not too many minutes.
Not too few.
Score some tries.
Win more often than not.

Not at all! In fact I was just having the exact same conversation with a former SS administrator and coach and he reported the same thing - almost word for word.

I would add to that list...

- and do all of this now otherwise I'm leaving the game and I'll blame my club/state/country for "killing the sport"

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
DIVISION 4 FINALS WEEK 2

Grose Cup
SF A: Merrylands
v Redfield - think the Wolves should have too much power and pace across the board here. Redfield's fitness and discipline might simply get overwhelmed. On the other hand, Merrylands have had several forfeits which could also interrupt the momentum. Merrylands by 10

SF B:
Irish v Rockdale - the Rangers have a problem: numbers. They had 23 for both grades last week, and while they won both games convincingly, a win here and a loss in First Grade leaves them in an interesting position for personnel. Irish had a solid win over Redfield in R14, but it's their only game in the last month. Rockdale by 15.

McLean Cup
SF A: Irish
v Redfield - a rematch from R14 where Irish got up, having absorbed a fair bit of pressure - most of which was due to their own mistakes. Like that game, they need to exert pressure at the scrum, but their lineout needs tweaking. Think they'll still get up. Irish by 8

SF B: Merrylands
v Rockdale - going to be a big ask for the Rangers if their numbers are anything like last week. It'll be fierce after their last encounter at Holroyd turned spiteful. Merrylands by 5.

oldmate11

Herbert Moran (7)
Division 3 Grand Finals

Clark Cup - Beecroft
v Sydney Harbour

This match has been in the books since round 5 and there is plenty of feeling between these two clubs and I wouldn't be surprised to see it explode on the field this Saturday. Beecroft got up in this fixture two weeks ago however the result could've gone either way. When Beecroft are on, Sydney Harbour's structured play has no answer for the individual flair that Beecroft's backline can deliver at any point in the match. If the Crofties can get quick recycle and early ball out wide, it's hard to look past them in this fixture. If Sydney Harbour can slow the game down and grind Beecroft out of the game, they'll certainly be a big chance on Saturday. This will be a thriller, I'll take Beecroft by 7

Farrant Cup - Sydney Harbour (Easts) v Beecroft

Clearly the two best sides in this grade, I can't see this game being decided by any more than 1-3 points. Easts have a sizable advantage over the young Beecroft side so they'll look towards set piece domination and strong forwards play in order to get the win in this fixture. Beecroft will look to use their strong fitness and mobile squad to drag the Easts side around the park and strike out wide late in the game as they did against Sydney Harlequins last week. Crofties will also have a very strong contingent of colts players for this game who have shown can make huge impacts in grade games throughout the season. In my opinion, Easts will build a lead and Beecroft will come home strong, however just be too short. Easts by 1

Nicholson Cup - Knox v Easts

Think Knox take this one, they've been extremely well drilled and classy throughout most of the year. Easts were lucky to make the final at all after Beecroft choked in the last 10 minutes. The semi final was a 1 point affair however with the one week rest, I think Knox do it more comfortably this time around. Knox by 10.

Champagne Rugby

Stan Wickham (3)
Its the Big Weekend for div 3 and it should be a cracker.
Its a rematch of the major semi finals in every grade which were incredibly tight, for context
1st grade: 5 point win to Beecroft
2nd grade: 1 point win to easts - decided in last 5 minutes
Colts: 1 point win to Knox - decided by a conversion after the siren

Div 3
Oysters v Beecroft: They split the regular season and Beecroft narrowly won the SF. Beecroft are the best defensive team in the comp, oysters are the best attacking. In finals I tend to side with better defensive teams as the game slows down, teams take points, everyone goes to training and their are more subs. It will be close but am tipping Beecroft's defense and superior goal kicking to prove the difference in what should be a great way to close div 3. Beecroft by 5

Easts v Beecroft: Genuine coin toss this game with the past three results being decided by less than a try Beecroft by 3, Beecroft by 4 and Easts by 1. I cant see any difference between the last three times they played that suggest to me one team is more likely to win. Easts are quick over the ball, quick in the backs and play intelligent footy, Beecroft will try and wear them down with their strong ball runners and fitness. Am going to be dramatic and say it will be a rare extra time game with Beecroft to win by drop goal or penalty. Beecroft by 3

Easts
v Knox: Knox have a great pack which set the platform for them to release the backs. Easts are very dependent on a few big ball runners to bend the line and get front foot ball. I think Easts will take benefit from playing last week which should help a few of their combinations gel which looked a little new and unfamiliar and should help them overturn the one point deficit from the previous game in a close game. Easts by 6

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)
DIV 2 Grand Final Day

Barraclough Cup - The Breakers overcame a terrible UNSW last week to unbelievably make this weeks GF. Uni were truly dreadful, dropped passes and tactical misteps saw them lose what should of been an unloseable game. Can lightening strike twice? it cannot, but the Breakers will tackle all day, will put pressure on Lindfields outside backs, where they are vunerable and give it there all. But its Lindfield all day in this one.

Stockdale: Lindfield in a canter

Colts: toss of a coin, Breakers were hit with a few key injuries in the backs in the last round of the season. I think they maybe back for the GF, if they are Newport should have to much out wide for Lindfield who will play rumble ball and keep it tight. Breakers by 1

3rds: Come on Hills!

Cauliflower Brain

Frank Row (1)
Lindfield with a shaky start to div 2 grand finals.
Just barely squeaked over against UNSW in 4s in the final play of the game and got completely dominated by Hills in 3rd grade. Can their colts settle the nerves?

TheBigArvo

Sydney Middleton (9)
DIV 2 Grand Final Day

Barraclough Cup - The Breakers overcame a terrible UNSW last week to unbelievably make this weeks GF. Uni were truly dreadful, dropped passes and tactical misteps saw them lose what should of been an unloseable game. Can lightening strike twice? it cannot, but the Breakers will tackle all day, will put pressure on Lindfields outside backs, where they are vunerable and give it there all. But its Lindfield all day in this one.

Stockdale: Lindfield in a canter

Colts: toss of a coin, Breakers were hit with a few key injuries in the backs in the last round of the season. I think they maybe back for the GF, if they are Newport should have to much out wide for Lindfield who will play rumble ball and keep it tight. Breakers by 1

3rds: Come on Hills!
Not bothering with the 4s final?
Match of the day for me.

Cauliflower Brain

Frank Row (1)
Looks like the lindfield 1st grade 10 who got red carded in the quarterfinals is set to play in the grandfinal. Does anyone know why he hasn't been hit with a ban for a dangerous tackle?

TheBigArvo

Sydney Middleton (9)
Looks like the lindfield 1st grade 10 who got red carded in the quarterfinals is set to play in the grandfinal. Does anyone know why he hasn't been hit with a ban for a dangerous tackle?
I was wondering that. Saw he got a red card but was still on the field at the end of the game (took the last kick) and then was carded after the coaches points were awarded???

HogansHeros

Syd Malcolm (24)
Disappointed that Knox couldnt do it in Div 3 colts. Easts shouldnt be winning any subbies comps. Hopefully Croft can sort them out in 2s.