• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Subbies 2023!

TheBigArvo

Sydney Middleton (9)
My suggestion had them in Div 1
Was using them as an example, if you get drawn to double up against a “top” side against a side that gets drawn against the “bottom” of the table it throws things out. It’s luck of the draw as you never know but could be the difference in your season.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Plus do clubs in Div 2 want to hang around if a Lindfield (assuming they remain) are going to run over the top of everyone again.

Agreed. That's why a bit of water has to go under the bridge on divisional structure for 2024 for Divs 1 & 2.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
No team in Div 4 has looked like being able to take the next step up.

I think Merrylands and Irish would do quite well in the Grade competition, but can they get Colts?

OTOH, only 4 of the 7 teams fielded their own Colts this season, with Beecroft and Knox finishing top 4, and Barker and Iggies not having great years in terms of results (6th and 7th by a long way).

Does Div 3 need Colts?
Can it support Colts?
Would it be better to push for 3 Grades instead and run Colts in Radford for 7 weeks?

Lot of moving parts. Div 3 didn't always have Colts and in the post-post-COVID universe, anything is possible, including a bounce back of those Colts who finally got their Euro vacation out of the way ;)

HogansHeros

Bob Loudon (25)
What are the odds of getting hornsby back in subbies? Surely they get sick of driving an hour or more up the freeway every weekend.
They could slot into 3rd grade nicely.

Beecroft
Barker
Knox?
Harlequins
Hornsby

Still a few short.
Makes for a nice local north side comp. (Except harlequins)
Throw in Epping, Hills and Iggys haha

HogansHeros

Bob Loudon (25)
I think Merrylands and Irish would do quite well in the Grade competition, but can they get Colts?

OTOH, only 4 of the 7 teams fielded their own Colts this season, with Beecroft and Knox finishing top 4, and Barker and Iggies not having great years in terms of results (6th and 7th by a long way).

Does Div 3 need Colts?
Can it support Colts?
Would it be better to push for 3 Grades instead and run Colts in Radford for 7 weeks?

Lot of moving parts. Div 3 didn't always have Colts and in the post-post-COVID universe, anything is possible, including a bounce back of those Colts who finally got their Euro vacation out of the way ;)
I agree, silly to run colts if its barely a subbies comp.
Go to 3 grades and intergrate the colts into grade.

TheBigArvo

Sydney Middleton (9)

Does Div 3 need Colts?
Can it support Colts?

We dropped the number of grade sides in the higher divisions in favour of having Colts as they are seen as the future of clubs. I believe Subbies will err on the side of colts

Champagne Rugby

Stan Wickham (3)
From a Beecroft perspective the talk is most people are quite keen to move up in part due to the shambles that occurred in division 3.

- Beecroft 2nd grade only played 2 games in 2 months at the end of the season and had a 12 man bench during the final.
- 3rd Grade would offer the opportunity for colts and and 2nd grade players who cant make the starting to team to play significant game time in 3s.

If 3rd Div was 3 grades and no colts
- Is there any guarantee a lot of these clubs could add sustain a third grade team many struggled for colts and second grade, would beecroft be destined to having forfeits every second week in 3rd grade?
- Beecroft have a strong colts program and would not want to lose this program playing in a division with no colts, radford cup is okay but you lose connection to the club playing away from everyone frequently.

I think 3 grade's no colts is the answer for 3rd div but realistically it will probably end up like Div 3 2nd grade this year, everyone has a team at the start of the seasons and come finals half the teams will be forfeiting.

Heure

Frank Nicholson (4)
Anyone attend the annual kentwell trough fest yesterday?

I didn’t hear anything just saw a photo
IMG_2530.jpeg

Eastcoast

Larry Dwyer (12)
Div 1 - Grand Final Preview

Kentwell. HH vs Blue Mountains. This is the big one people. I think this could be the best Kentwell Grand final in the last decade. The pain of losing last year will spur on HH here. Great win last week against a very strong Waverley outfit. Alot of mistakes gave Blueys a headstart in the Major Semi and its hard to chase a game which led to the score blowing out slightly at the end. That wont be happening again. Blue Mountains have some great players across the park and a very good year with recruitment of talent in all the right positions. A strong Blue Mountains means a strong competition. Back with your heart and your head. Facta Non Verba. HH 33-31

Burke. Colleagues vs Drummoyne. Colleagues are a very clinical side. Losing only the first round game of the year. They have won close games, they have blown out teams by 50. Seems like they can do it all. Drummoyne are much improved from where they were last year. Strong recruitment, X factor all over the park. Seem like a well coached and well drilled team this year. Colleagues to keep Drummoyne at an arms distance for most of the game. Colleagues 28-20

Barbour. Forest vs Colleagues. Straight sets St Pats had this cup in the clubhouse a month ago. Forest and Colleagues have two very good young squads. This game will be entertaining. Colleagues played their Grand final last week. Ill give the boys from Melwood a win here in a high scoring affair. Forest 35-28

Whiddon. Waverley vs Colleagues. Waverley have a great third grade squad. Alot of talent in this team and strike across the park. Colleagues are a well drilled team. I think Waverley get the chocolates after losing the first two games of the day. Let the boys get back on the bus around Midday and celebrating at Bondi by mid afternoon. Waverley 24-21

Judd. Mosman vs Waverley. Mosman will again prove too strong in this 4's contest. Waverley have a really good group of players in the lower grades, although I hjave heard a few outs in 3's have weakened their 4's side slightly. Waverley will need everything to go right to upset the Mosman lower grades juggernaut. Mosman 22-12

Sutherland. Mosman vs Waverley. Mosman lost by 1 in the Major Semi with 2 in the bin and playing the better football. I dont see them making the same mistake twice. Should name this the Mosman cup given their stranglehold over this grade for the past 6 years. Not the same team as last year and I understand alot of those players are playing Judd where they are the standard of Burke or higher. Waverley always strong and will keep this close. I see a low scoring affair. Mosman 12-10