• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Subbies 2023!

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Brand new ones as well. Although no idea if it’s senior or just for LC juniors and LC Tigers RL.

These things suck but have to be faced. Other clubs have done the head in the sand approach which to my knowledge is yet to produce a positive outcome.

WoodyWoodsman

Sydney Middleton (9)
Discussion in the Australian Rugby Shield chat about Brisbane Subbies being invited into the tournament after the Northern Territory pulled out.
If Subbies put forward a rep team, who is in?

Denistone_Dennis

Chris McKivat (8)
Discussion in the Australian Rugby Shield chat about Brisbane Subbies being invited into the tournament after the Northern Territory pulled out.
If Subbies put forward a rep team, who is in?
Thats pretty much just a Div 1 selection side, given the dropoff in standard not many playing below Div 1 could make that side.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Maybe of play, but not player. There would be guys in sides like Lindfield, Newport, Harbour that would kill it if put into a Div 1 side.

Even individuals in lower table sides would be up to it. They just play on a side not going well but want to play with mates or are loyal.

The side would be made up of Div 1 tbh but probably out of ease more than anything.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
A few of those Irish and Merrylands players would be in consideration. Rockdale have some handy players in Matt Teki and Jack Conen as well.

Eastcoast

Larry Dwyer (12)
A few of those Irish and Merrylands players would be in consideration. Rockdale have some handy players in Matt Teki and Jack Conen as well.
What about the blokes who have won the medals in the lower Divs over the last few years. They obviously have a fair bit of skill and would probably make Div 1 1st grade if they changed clubs.

Also availability comes into it as well. A few Div 1 boys may choose not to play given the time of year.

What happened to those Inter Division rep games they used to have prior to COVID?

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
What about the blokes who have won the medals in the lower Divs over the last few years. They obviously have a fair bit of skill and would probably make Div 1 1st grade if they changed clubs.

Medals are an indicator, but they're not always precise e.g. Renegades finished dead last a few seasons back, but one of our guys got the McLean medal because he was consistently getting ref points as the standout in our team. Other clubs had a few guys who were pretty good as well, so they tended to share points.

What happened to those Inter Division rep games they used to have prior to COVID?

Not sure about inter-division. We'd mooted something like a North v South game but it is hard to get engagement across clubs.

Subbies Rep team was a fair bit of cash to run and a headache for clubs to get their guys involved. I think time is a big factor as well.

LRUsoldier

Allen Oxlade (6)
Selection of the subbies representative team would be difficult. I understand players like Matt Teki are playing lower divisions, however I would assume that’s because they want less commitment.

It would have to be done via nomination and an inter squad match. The bulk of the players should come from division one and the premier division two sides.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Coaches use to nominate players to then go so wider training and no doubt reputation and division would help.

Coaches never sent anyone truly out of their depth from what I knew of. Some blokes enjoyed the chance to play a rep game even if from the lower divs and then play with mates again.

TheBigArvo

Sydney Middleton (9)
Is it time to bring up the clubs with Shute players playing lower grades???

A couple of Div rep side hit outs could be a great dvd to the Subbies season. We did a Div 2 vs Div 3 rep side at Brookvale about 10 years ago. Could be a great way to end the season. But as always need the players to buy in and be involved.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
That's why you have coaches approach and nominate players. The ones that say yes are the ones that 'buy in'.

Just selecting a side from Subbies admin will be met with at least 50% saying no thanks I'd guess. From there it's a diminished product.