• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby 2012 Final - Waikato Chiefs vs Kwa-Zulu Natal Sharks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
After two blockbuster semi-finals, it is now down to the two finalists, with the final to be played in Hamilton NZ at the family friendly time of 5:35pm (Aust time) on Saturday 4 August.

Very thoughtful timing by SANZAR allows the punters to get down to the local ovals to watch our best go around in the Shute Shield (or the School 1st XV/Colts) before adjourning back to the club or pub to watch the final live.

The two entertainers have made it and the hope is for a very exciting final between two teams who are not frightened to throw the pill around.

The Sharks have to go into this game as the underdog having racked up more frequent flier points than Ban Ki-Moon over the past few weeks, and must be the battlers favourite, now that there are no Australian teams to barrack for.

For many of us in the land of Oz, this will be like the Melbourne vs Manly Mungoball Grand Final, with the decision of who to barrack for comming down to which team/country do we least dislike. The decision will be made easier by the fact that both teams have been playing highly exciting winner takes all rugby with an urgency and attitude that there is no tomorrow.

The Chiefs were a little off the ball in the last few weeks of the regular season, but they found their mana (mojo) on Friday night to emphatically end the Crusaders 2012 campaign.

The Sharks have been on a knifes edge the last three weeks, and have played with the urgency of sailor on their first R&R break after a deployment to the Gulf for six months.

For my mind, I see the home town advantage working to help the Chiefs win their first flag, with a victory by 7 points.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I'm actually pretty happy with these two in the final, because they've played the best looking footy over the last few weeks. I'll be hopping on down to the Inglewood Hotel and watching it on the big screen for sure.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Yeah I might trot the family down to the pub to watch it myself.

Sent using Tapatalk

J

Jiggles

Going for the Chiefs as Cruden has been my favourite NZ player this year.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
I'm torn......I want to see a NZ team win it but I can't bear all the shit talking I'll hear from my wife's family who are all from the Tron (Hamilton). I mite have to stay off Facebook for about a month if they win......

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The Chiefs have always been my favourite non-Australian team since I bought a Waikato jersey when I was on holiday in NZ when I was 12.

Very happy to see them in the final and I hope they win.

Bruwheresmycar

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Steve Walsh to referee. Nice way to top off an impressive season.

I'm torn on this, I really think the Sharks can get there and I love their style of play. But I think the cheifs halves combination might be the difference in a grand final. Chiefs by 3 or 4 is probably a safe bet.

Either way it should be an attacking game, both sides like to offload.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
I'm a little torn by this too. I've picked the Chiefs from some weeks ago & it is great how they have gone this year but the road the Sharks have had to travel to the finals has made me a little sympathetic to their cause. They will be underdogs coming into the final.

Really would be quite happy for either team to win. My Ma is going for the Sharks, so to level things out I'll barrack for the Chiefs :)

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Before the 2nd semi final I was hoping the Stormers would win because the final would be on at a better time for me. But during the game I ended up hoping the Sharks would win simply because they deserved it for the effort they put in.

Turns out the final isn't out at that bad a time, 8:35am here which means coverage will start at 8am. Could have been a lot worse as during the regular season I was getting up to watch games that start at 6:30 here. I think Brumbies v Blues was the last one of those.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Cheifs have been outstanding all year and because of my Kerr-Barlow connection I want them to go all the way.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
The Chiefs have always been my favourite non-Australian team since I bought a Waikato jersey when I was on holiday in NZ when I was 12.

Funny how that works hey! My fave non-Aus team is the Highlanders since I went on hols in the South Island mainly around Dunedin and couldn't resist but to buy a jersey. :)

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
No reason why the Sharks cant win this one. They have the players to diominate the Chiefs up front and they show some real mettle in defense in the last 5 rounds. They'll have Lambie and Jordaan back. Jordaan a great defender which also mean they will have a strong bench. They wont worry about the small crowd compare to double sizethey had silent at newlands. If I was a gambler, I'd throw a few on them to win this on saturday.

vismyr

Peter Burge (5)
No reason why the Sharks cant win this one.

There's one big reason -- The Chiefs! While The Sharks have played some entertaining rugby in the last few weeks -- smacking the f*ck out of the Reds on their home turf (something the Crusaders couldn't do last year) and then sticking it to the Stormers on their home turf as well -- The Chiefs have been the best team all year, and I think their defence won it for them in the semi's and will do so again. I expect The Sharks will put up a fight for 60mins and drop away at the end, with Waikato becoming the sixth team to win a Super Rugby title, running out winners by +13.

Go the Chiefs!

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
There's one big reason -- The Chiefs! While The Sharks have played some entertaining rugby in the last few weeks -- smacking the f*ck out of the Reds on their home turf (something the Crusaders couldn't do last year) and then sticking it to the Stormers on their home turf as well -- The Chiefs have been the best team all year, and I think their defence won it for them in the semi's and will do so again. I expect The Sharks will put up a fight for 60mins and drop away at the end, with Waikato becoming the sixth team to win a Super Rugby title, running out winners by +13.

Go the Chiefs!
Sharks forwards will swallow the Chiefs and they will pressure them into mistakes. Thats the recepy for any final. Forget about travel and away match for them. They are travel and away fit and wont bodder them one bit. Not even cowbells will stop them Sharks in the final.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Caaarn Sharks. One time. Le Clos style. The boy is from Durban and stuck it to Phelps. It is a sign.

You read it here first. Sharks by 3 in a shitfight.

Not really but it felt worth a go. :)

FrankLind

Colin Windon (37)
I'll be supporting the Chiefs, and I think home advantage will get them home.
That said, if Craig Clarke doesn't play, I think it'll be advantage Sharks.

I seriously won't mind the Sharks winning. They'd deserve it and Bismarck is my favorite non-NZ player.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Sharks know they still have to travel back and play WP on Newlands next week in the revenge match. The real rugby only starting now.

Status
Not open for further replies.