• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby 2012 Final - Waikato Chiefs vs Kwa-Zulu Natal Sharks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Sharks know they still have to travel back and play WP on Newlands next week in the revenge match. The real rugby only starting now.

This MUST be tongue in cheek. A Super rugby final win would be everything. Whatever the result, getting them up against the Stormers/WP next week in Currie Cup will be a huge ask, especially after all the travelling they've had to do.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
If the CC is the be all and end all, then why do the Saffer teams play Super rugby?

If you are a Stormers fan at the moment yes it is :) Oh and Paarl just likes to remind the Aussies on the forum that they don't have a similar competition.

No seriously it's not. Whilst people might go to the games they don't really give a shit until the pointy end. And everyone knows what pays the bills.

It's the last thing on the Sharks radar right now.

But I'd rather have on that the big wide chasm between club rugby and Super rugby here in Aus.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Anyone got the team lists?

Has there been any outcome from the White Card incident from the Cru v Chief game?

I can only imagine the lively debate that would have been had on these threads if the incident had occurred during a Tahs v Reds game.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
If you are a Stormers fan at the moment yes it is :) Oh and Paarl just likes to remind the Aussies on the forum that they don't have a similar competition.

No seriously it's not. Whilst people might go to the games they don't really give a shit until the pointy end. And everyone knows what pays the bills.

It's the last thing on the Sharks radar right now.

But I'd rather have on that the big wide chasm between club rugby and Super rugby here in Aus.

Thought so ;)

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
Teams:
Chiefs:
15 Robbie Robinson, 14 Tim Nanai-Williams, 13 Andrew Horrell, 12 Sonny Bill Williams, 11 Asaeli Tikoirotuma, 10 Aaron Cruden, 9 Tawera Kerr-Barlow, 8 Kane Thompson, 7 Tanerau Latimer, 6 Liam Messam, 5 Brodie Retallick, 4 Craig Clarke (captain), 3 Ben Tameifuna, 2 Mahonri Schwalger, 1 Sona Taumalolo
Substitutes: 16 Hika Elliot, 17 Ben Afeaki, 18 Michael Fitzgerald, 19 Sam Cane, 20 Brendon Leonard, 21 Jackson Willison, 22 Lelia Masaga

Sharks:
15 Patrick Lambie, 14 Louis Ludik, 13 JP Pietersen, 12 Paul Jordaan, 11 Lwazi Mvovo, 10 Frederic Michalak,9 Charl McLeod, 8 Ryan Kankowski, 7 Marcell Coetzee, 6 Keegan Daniel (captain), 5 Anton Bresler, 4 Willem Alberts, 3 Jannie du Plessis, 2 Bismarck du Plessis,1 Tendai Mtawarira

Substitutes: 16 Craig Burden, 17 Wiehahn Herbst, 18 Steven Sykes, 19 Jacques Botes, 20 Jean Deysel, 21 Meyer Bosman
22 Riaan Viljoen
http://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/Super15/Lambie-Jordaan-to-start-20120802

Some interesting selections there for the Sharks in their backline. Although last weekend, Plumtree played mind games with his team announced on the Thursday showing a couple of changes when they actually ran out on the Saturday. Wonder if he's doing the same this week?

Paul Jordaan at 12 is an interesting selection. The SA U21 player has been good towards the back end of the season at 13 and shows some real promise in this position, but not sure how he will go at 12. He is certainly not the biggest centre going around and to put him up against SBW in his first start at 12 might be asking a bit much of him! Particularly since he is playing outside Freddie who is also not known for his defensive capabilities!

They will need plenty of support from their outstanding loose trio as there will no doubt be plenty of traffic down this channel from the likes of SBW and Messam. To be honest though, with Tim Whitehead out injured, I think it may be worth the gamble of playing Jordaan there as Meyer Bosman has shown on numerous occasions that he goes missing in the big games.

Also good to see Lambie back (if he is fully fit!) as he will add another dimension to their attack. Expect him to pop up at first receiver often. I must say I prefer JPP on the wing where I think he is more comfortable defensively, but he has been in such good form lately that getting his hands on the ball more often may not be a bad thing.

The forward pack pick themselves really as they have all played really well in the last few weeks. Expect to see some substitutions early in the 2nd half though as I'm sure a few of the boys will be running on empty after all the travel they've done in the last couple of weeks.

Proud Pig

Ted Thorn (20)
I like the Sharks chances but it all comes down to how well they can run out the game will all the travelling they have been doing lately. The last thing you need is a few little holes opening up in the centre of the park because of tiredness with a guy like Cruden trying to feed Meesan, Robinson and Naini-Williams through them. Coetzee, Kankowski and Daniel have been outstanding defensively and do a huge amount of work both ways. If they can stand up given the difficultie of all the travelling then I think they have the power to beat the chiefs. It is a big if though.

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
Chiefs 20+

Shame it wasn't on in a week as the Shorks would win

Agree that the Chiefs have to be favourites and will most likely win the game. However, a win by 20+ points in a final? That's a pretty big call.

Just like it has been in the last two weeks, if the Sharks can get a good start and run up a bit of a lead, there's every chance that their enthusiasm and desire to win a final could lead to them putting in a huge defensive effort in the 2nd half and maybe just holding the Chiefs out.

However, if the Chiefs are ahead at half time, it will pretty much be game over.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Sharks made a mistake doing the travel in two bites and not travelling to NZ till Friday. The two hours west to east is still disruptive and will add to the fatigue isue. If they wanted to stay away from Hamilton they should have stayed in Auckland.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Never done the Indian Ocean transit myself, however I have flown the very long haul distances before and it is a pain in the proverbial being stuck in the plane with stuff all else to do.

If there is no time pressure to be at the destination as soon as possible, then IMHO by all means take the opportunity to break the journey up by resting enroute.

We all know that there is no better place to stop off than in Olde Sydney Towne.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Never done the Indian Ocean transit myself, however I have flown the very long haul distances before and it is a pain in the proverbial being stuck in the plane with stuff all else to do.

If there is no time pressure to be at the destination as soon as possible, then IMHO by all means take the opportunity to break the journey up by resting enroute.

We all know that there is no better place to stop off than in Olde Sydney Towne.

Long experience working in Australia and travelling regularly to NZ taught me that even the two hour adjustment can be performance disruptive. I've also done a lot of the long distance stuff and had to go to work straight up. Its always better to get the whole journey done early and allow the body maximum time to adjust. And travelling west to east is much worse than going the other way.

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
Long experience working in Australia and travelling regularly to NZ taught me that even the two hour adjustment can be performance disruptive. I've also done a lot of the long distance stuff and had to go to work straight up. Its always better to get the whole journey done early and allow the body maximum time to adjust. And travelling west to east is much worse than going the other way.

You may be right, but I'm sure there was some sort of scientific research behind their thinking and and the stopover in Sydney wasn't simply a spur of the moment or toss of the coin decision. It's not as if it's their first time travelling to Australia and New Zealand either, so they do have some experience to fall back on in this regard.

whatty

Bob Loudon (25)
Having done SA NZ trip at least a dozen times I can assure that a two hour plus transit through Sydney is not as simple as it sounds and a gradual "wake-up" across the timelines is not a bad idea even if it is only two hours.

That plus the option of having to spend a couple more nights in Hamiltion, yea right!

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Having done SA NZ trip at least a dozen times I can assure that a two hour plus transit through Sydney is not as simple as it sounds and a gradual "wake-up" across the timelines is not a bad idea even if it is only two hours.

That plus the option of having to spend a couple more nights in Hamiltion, yea right!

Completely agree.

I have no problems adjusting another 2 or three hours if I have already adjusted 6. Adjusting from Sydney to NZ team has never been difficult for me and I am one who struggles with the Europe to Sydney adjustment.

This is not why the Sharks will lose. It will be fatigue and how town advantage to the Chiefs. Simple as that.

crangs81

Larry Dwyer (12)
24 hours to go and i'm starting to buzz. Our last final was a disappointment , hoping for the win this time around. Think the boys really need to hit the sharks hard and early and let the crowd carry them but i'll never write off a team that has done what the sharks have done the last couple of weeks. It'll be a title of legends if they pull it off.

Status
Not open for further replies.