• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby 2022

Super Rugby 2022

• Go Blues

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • Go cantabs

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Go other NZ team.

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Go Force

Votes: 15 16.0%
  • Go Tahs

Votes: 21 22.3%
  • Go Brumbies

Votes: 9 9.6%
  • Go Reds

Votes: 30 31.9%
  • Go Rebs

Votes: 13 13.8%
  • Go new PI teams

Votes: 9 9.6%
  • Go any team that plays the cantabs

Votes: 12 12.8%

• Total voters

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I don’t want the NZ govt to change their mind until we are committed to a domestic season. Pick up the discussion later for a shorter TT (or not c’est la vie)

it’s not the way I would have planned it to happen, but I’ll take it.
So if we end up as fall back option again having super rugby au with Fiji is added and that part of TT is successful does RA still ignore the option of at least having short form super rugby au (six nations one round style) comp prior to or after TT. Just don’t get the idea of completely abandoning it as surely can do both to keep a foot in both camps and avoid the all eggs in one basket scenario. I just don’t get RA thinking personally on this.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I actually think that a SRAU domestic round robin comp to start will be of benefit for Aus teams. It will allow for Aus teams to build cohesion against other Aus teams in similar situation before coming up against the more developed kiwi teams. This will allow the new look Force back line to develop combinations and aid in the development of younger players coming through such as Gordon at the Rebels and even Petaia at Reds if he is trialed at full back.
Not sure last year proved that point - to me is more about creating multiple products at least short term and not having all eggs in the one (Super rugby pacific) basket. We need some form of domestic competition even if short form, at least in addition to Super rugby pacific competition. And yeh we also need an nrc mark 3.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
My idea doesn't make sense financially for RA, but I would love to see 6 weeks of Super Rugby AU, played as 6 'Super Rounds' in each of the states + Fiji, followed by SRTT. 1 game Friday night, 3 games Saturday and 2 games on Sunday. One ticket to cover the whole weekend.

Play the Super Rounds outside the regular rugby stadiums where possible, for example up in Townsville for the QLD round, rotate it around every couple of years. I think it would build some hype around rugby again before leading into a more traditional Super Rugby comp where the teams would go back to playing at their traditional home grounds.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
@Dan54 what are the internal travel rules over there now, and is there an idea of what they look like around the start of the season?
Travel rules open up next week I think Dec 15th. Basically can if vaccinated can trvel anywhere in country .

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I don’t want the NZ govt to change their mind until we are committed to a domestic season. Pick up the discussion later for a shorter TT (or not c’est la vie)

it’s not the way I would have planned it to happen, but I’ll take it.
Mate I don't know why you don't understand, the Australian super teams want the comp , RA needs it, you would be better hoping for a decent NRC type comp. Take my word for it, if it like the NZ NPC is by far a better comp to have, I presonally much prefer NPC to super comp. Only trouble is you can't play them early in season, as you destroy your club comps if you have enough teams for a decent comp!

dru

Tim Horan (67)
So if we end up as fall back option again having super rugby au with Fiji is added and that part of TT is successful does RA still ignore the option of at least having short form super rugby au (six nations one round style) comp prior to or after TT. Just don’t get the idea of completely abandoning it as surely can do both to keep a foot in both camps and avoid the all eggs in one basket scenario. I just don’t get RA thinking personally on this.
I think that would be a fabulous compromise. I don’t mind playing the Kiwis. Just as the primary comp when we can have a domestic.

A short form TT is fine, I just wouldn’t go that way if it was mutually exclusive with a full domestic comp.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I think that would be a fabulous compromise. I don’t mind playing the Kiwis. Just as the primary comp when we can have a domestic.

A short form TT is fine, I just wouldn’t go that way if it was mutually exclusive with a full domestic comp.
Not sure why it has to be exclusive, I keep saying a NRC type domestic comp makes so much sense for Australia. You can't have a domestic comp with 5-6 teams and expect it to last!!

dru

Tim Horan (67)
45’000 fans at Suncorp Stadium for the Super Rugby AU Grand Final beg to differ
Yep. Nor am I pushing “exclusivity”, I just have a far, far greater interest in a Domestic season than forcing the comp to integrate Kiwis.

We’ve been the tail wagging the dog for too long. My honest opinion is that we are in the short term better off ousting NZ. NZ is for now an albatross, it doesn’t have to be that way but only RNZ can make the change. We are better off solo for now imo.

I’m quite comfortable with a 2022 in which no Kiwi Super team sets foot in Australia. If Covid and the NZ govt provides that result, OK, unexpected bonus.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
45’000 fans at Suncorp Stadium for the Super Rugby AU Grand Final beg to differ
One or two games (final was 41600, but regardless a great crowd), how many were at games in Sydney , Melbourne, so following your reasoning all games will be played at Suncorp! That's like saying NZ should just have a super comp because they have had a great crowd at a final ! You really believe you can build a comp on one crowd Adam, I suspect you pretty green when it comes to how sports has to be run. Australia rugby badly needs another comp to back up super comp whatever form super is in.
I find it extraordinary that Australian rugby supporters don't want a decent domestic comp

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Yep. Nor am I pushing “exclusivity”, I just have a far, far greater interest in a Domestic season than forcing the comp to integrate Kiwis.

We’ve been the tail wagging the dog for too long. My honest opinion is that we are in the short term better off ousting NZ. NZ is for now an albatross, it doesn’t have to be that way but only RNZ can make the change. We are better off solo for now imo.

I’m quite comfortable with a 2022 in which no Kiwi Super team sets foot in Australia. If Covid and the NZ govt provides that result, OK, unexpected bonus.
I understand that you don't want kiwi teams Dru, but I not even talking about that just simply RA could will not be able to keep interest in a 5-6 team comp, to have a decent comp you really need a more comprehensive comp even if it was just Aus teams.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I understand that you don't want kiwi teams Dru, but I not even talking about that just simply RA could will not be able to keep interest in a 5-6 team comp, to have a decent comp you really need a more comprehensive comp even if it was just Aus teams.
And pigs might fly.

Meanwhile, us being those fans that are to be kept interested are expressing greater interest in the Au comp. Attendance figures support this.

And you conveniently ignore the fact that we have all - since the very beginning - said we would need to build on the 5 teams.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Not sure why it has to be exclusive, I keep saying a NRC type domestic comp makes so much sense for Australia. You can't have a domestic comp with 5-6 teams and expect it to last!!
Dan we need nrc but I am also stating we have a single round six nations style domestic comp for super rugby teams either side of super rugby competition. Foot in both camps approach as not a fan of all eggs in one basket for super rugby pacific.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)

Well, the ratings from last season sure demonstrated that we had more interest in the Super Rugby Au games as opposed to the crossovers. I think we could make it work.

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
Commercially, absolutely, but if we play amongst ourselves all the time we might get some (even ruder) shocks come Test footy against other nations.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Well, the ratings from last season sure demonstrated that we had more interest in the Super Rugby Au games as opposed to the crossovers. I think we could make it work.
Mate your the ratings were like the crowds pretty good until NRL and AFL started and then great for Final, there were some pretty ordinary ones during Super AU, and add to fact we had ONE game a week that gave ratings, you are putting a hell of a lot of hope on single games.If you go back and look at ratings for Super AU, I think you will find it started well, and was dropping off for the shown games until finals, sounds like people losing interest a little. Apart from that all good ratings involved Reds or WF games from what I remember , and that was in TT even as well. So I repeat following you jokers reasoning all games should be played in Qld (or WA), but still not what I saying anyway, I saying Aus needs a decent domestic comp below Super level. You got the same advantage , an Aussie team will win.

Last edited:

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I right though aren't I? And I keep saying it not about playing TT etc, but a 5-6 team comp is not going to maintain interest, RA knows this why they keep wanting TT etc. I can tell you I reckon for me by far the best comp is NZ's NPC, good rugby, noone guaranteed of winning, and enough different teams you don't need 2 round comp, that's what I suggesting Aus wants because playing same team every 4-5 weeks is a problem. I even almost find the English and French comps more interesting than a 5-6 team comp generally as you getting difference of games etc.
Or perhaps you now telling us that Hamish and his crew are wrong? ;)

Last edited:

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)

Simple really - super rugby au successful as had uncertainty of outcome coupled with sufficient local content. TT had sufficient local content but not uncertainty of outcome. So as you say based on ratings last year and indeed historical declining super rugby ratings we have a product that works at the moment (super rugby au) vs a product that doesn’t (cross border super rugby). Yet we drop the one successful product that finally seen as a success (domestic super rugby au) and put all our investment in the cross border super rugby product that we have not been able to make work for the best part of a decade and indeed has been a product in terminal decline (ratings and fan support).

Is this the perfect definition of madness?

hoggy

Trevor Allan (34)
Commercially, absolutely, but if we play amongst ourselves all the time we might get some (even ruder) shocks come Test footy against other nations.
A domestic competition is not just playing ourselves though, This narrative that somehow we're retreating to some king of North Korean euotopia by playing a domestic competition.
The Wallabies will still be playing upto 15 Tests a year (and thats another issue), there will always be crossover games scheduled.

The big shock maybe in 10/15 years time when having a far bigger playing pool to select from due actual domestic growth.