• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby 2022

Super Rugby 2022

• Go Blues

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • Go cantabs

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Go other NZ team.

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Go Force

Votes: 15 16.0%
  • Go Tahs

Votes: 21 22.3%
  • Go Brumbies

Votes: 9 9.6%
  • Go Reds

Votes: 30 31.9%
  • Go Rebs

Votes: 13 13.8%
  • Go new PI teams

Votes: 9 9.6%
  • Go any team that plays the cantabs

Votes: 12 12.8%

• Total voters

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I wasnt referring to any specific country. I was just referring to the inevitable spread of covid that we will be living with once international travel is back and mandatory quarantines are gone. The south african variant, and any other variants will eventually find their way to aus

I know, BDA. It seemed to be the right place to respond though. My thinking is that it is an error to presume there will not be further actions, even lockdowns. There is a growing political resistance to lock down, but medically they have been useful and may be so again.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Munster have failed to leave SA yesterday as one of the players has tested positive, they have only been in country a few days and were trying to leave ASAP since the new variant info came out. This pretty much has thrown a spanner in URC over the weekend and has the potential to hit the European cup now as well.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Starting to look like maybe there will have to be changes, looking what has happened in SA, seems the possibility of teams getting stuck on either side of tasman comes to mind. I would hope they don't try putting teams in hubs etc, I know AFL etc did it and some rugby teams last year, but it all too much bullshit for me. Even when we had RC etc done that way this year, it just doesn't feel like it a proper comp for some reason.
I will add that is just for me personally, a teams plays games at home as well as away.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
If it’s a choice between playing in hubs and not playing at all… then I think the choice is easy

hoggy

Trevor Allan (34)
You would think they must be looking at two 6 team competitions with the Drua in Aus & Pacifika in NZ that gives them 10 rounds with hopefully some crossover games after in May/June if conditions improve.
Now who would have thought a domestic competition :cool:

Lightblue

Arch Winning (36)
Oh that's right, there were calls for Frost to selected for the Wallabies last week, well there's another Wallaby in the forward pack.
Arguably they also have 4 wallaby wingers if you count Pete Samu.

I'm just going to put it out there, but this 2022 Brumbies backline could be a better backline then the 2004 Brumbies!
Obviously you have a great sense of humour!

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
If it’s a choice between playing in hubs and not playing at all… then I think the choice is easy
Oh don't get me wrong, I know it may have happen, but it always a bit shit to me. I really didn't enjoy the RC an awful lot this year, but knew why they had to do it.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
You would think they must be looking at two 6 team competitions with the Drua in Aus & Pacifika in NZ that gives them 10 rounds with hopefully some crossover games after in May/June if conditions improve.
Now who would have thought a domestic competition :cool:
You would hope so, but crossovers will become harder the further into the year we progress. Beside SA this thing is a bigger issue in winter then summer. Europe been open and enjoying themselves the last few months and now going back into lock downs and numbers increasing in countries that remain open.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
So is this fucked or what? Can we kick on with a domestic comp?

If NZ want to annex themselves from the world indefinitely I'm cool with it.
NZ teams can’t afford to segregate themselves from the Southern Hemisphere competition with the self belief that they’re the superior rugby nation. The International championships has just demonstrated the narrowing of the margins.

Last edited:

Hogie

Herbert Moran (7)
I actually think that a SRAU domestic round robin comp to start will be of benefit for Aus teams. It will allow for Aus teams to build cohesion against other Aus teams in similar situation before coming up against the more developed kiwi teams. This will allow the new look Force back line to develop combinations and aid in the development of younger players coming through such as Gordon at the Rebels and even Petaia at Reds if he is trialed at full back.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Pretty easy plan b given super rugby Au already proven success as we as super rugby Ao for nz. With Fiji added to oz comp even better product, and yeh then have crossover but preceding games count towards it.
I would prefer a three or four round AU competition with a "superbowl" final against the top NZ team, then the Bledisloe a couple of weeks after.

I dont care much about playing NZ provincial teams, I want to see Aussie games then take NZ on in Test Matches.

This allows the mystery of the Bledisloe to return where you had no idea if the latest Aussie star was enough to win Test matches based on what was seen in Australian competitions. With a combined competition it is obvious that we will lose the Tests if we get smashed in the provincial competition.

Less is more

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
NZ teams can’t afford to segregate themselves from the Southern Hemisphere competition with the self belief that their the superior rugby nation. The International championships has just demonstrated the narrowing of the margins.
NZ teams aren't trying to segregate themselves, the Gov't has got the rules not NZR. I really can't believe how you fellas read this? The super teams have been trying to get Gov't to change their mind. As we speak until there are changes couldn't travel around Aus and play either could they? Is this RA's fault or the Gov't's of WA and Qld?
I really amazed at how your brains work sometimes fellas!

dru

Tim Horan (67)
NZ teams aren't trying to segregate themselves, the Gov't has got the rules not NZR. I really can't believe how you fellas read this? The super teams have been trying to get Gov't to change their mind. As we speak until there are changes couldn't travel around Aus and play either could they? Is this RA's fault or the Gov't's of WA and Qld?
I really amazed at how your brains work sometimes fellas!

I don’t want the NZ govt to change their mind until we are committed to a domestic season. Pick up the discussion later for a shorter TT (or not c’est la vie)

it’s not the way I would have planned it to happen, but I’ll take it.

stoff

Bill McLean (32)
@Dan54 what are the internal travel rules over there now, and is there an idea of what they look like around the start of the season?