• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby 2022

Super Rugby 2022

• Go Blues

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • Go cantabs

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Go other NZ team.

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Go Force

Votes: 15 16.0%
  • Go Tahs

Votes: 21 22.3%
  • Go Brumbies

Votes: 9 9.6%
  • Go Reds

Votes: 30 31.9%
  • Go Rebs

Votes: 13 13.8%
  • Go new PI teams

Votes: 9 9.6%
  • Go any team that plays the cantabs

Votes: 12 12.8%

• Total voters

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
That's not how it's going to work. Anyone arriving from Aus after 16 Jan who's double-vaxxed & returned a negative test within 72 hours of departure won't have to go through MIQ at all. Home quarantine applies to arrivals/ returnees from elsewhere (but still with the double-vax & negative test requirements) from 16 Feb.

I just read through the media release. It says that applies only to New Zealand residents and other 'eligible travellers' and that other foreign nationals will need to wait until April for the same rules to apply.

There isn't any mention I can find that says Australians fall under the 'eligible travellers' banner, as of yet.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
That's not how it's going to work. Anyone arriving from Aus after 16 Jan who's double-vaxxed & returned a negative test within 72 hours of departure won't have to go through MIQ at all. Home quarantine applies to arrivals/ returnees from elsewhere (but still with the double-vax & negative test requirements) from 16 Feb.
Nah home self-isolation applies to those even arriving from Australia.

For those not going through MIQ, they require a pre departure test, a test on arrival, self isolation at home for 7 days and a final test on day 7 before being allowed in the community.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I just read through the media release. It says that applies only to New Zealand residents and other 'eligible travellers' and that other foreign nationals will need to wait until April for the same rules to apply.

There isn't any mention I can find that says Australians fall under the 'eligible travellers' banner, as of yet.

Nah home self-isolation applies to those even arriving from Australia.

For those not going through MIQ, they require a pre departure test, a test on arrival, self isolation at home for 7 days and a final test on day 7 before being allowed in the community.

My understanding from listening to Hipkins was that "eligible people" includes Australians. I'm sure we'll get clarification/ confirmation of that in the next little while.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I am guessing that eligible people will be allowed to stay in a bubble or some such thing.
Why? Are they still lagging in vaccinations?
About 90% rate, is the aim by xmas form what I understand. About 85% now (I think)

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
My understanding from listening to Hipkins was that "eligible people" includes Australians. I'm sure we'll get clarification/ confirmation of that in the next little while.

NZ Rugby on the front foot already saying the new rules will impact Super Rugby and they will go straight into discussions with the government as well as RA and other governing bodies, seems fairly clear the exemptions are only for NZ residents coming from Australia and no other foreigners until April.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Just out of interest, what are rules for going into Aus from NZ, I haven't read anything.
Has been free entry since November 1st:

Travel from New Zealand to Australia​

Quarantine-free travel from New Zealand to Australia has recommenced.

To travel quarantine free, you'll need to have:

Check the state and territory entry requirements as they may differ between each state and territory.

There are still some restrictions at a state level, but WA is the only one that could still be a problem by the time Super Rugby kicks off and even that seems unlikely.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
NZ Rugby on the front foot already saying the new rules will impact Super Rugby and they will go straight into discussions with the government as well as RA and other governing bodies, seems fairly clear the exemptions are only for NZ residents coming from Australia and no other foreigners until April.

surely this was something NZRU had already had discussions with the government about when planning the Super Rugby Pacific draw.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
surely this was something NZRU had already had discussions with the government about when planning the Super Rugby Pacific draw.
You would hope they'd have addressed it to a point, but honestly, I think this announcement surprised a lot of people. Super Rugby not supposed to start until mid-Feb next year, by then all the competing countries will be high 90s vaccinated. They probably assumed, like many others, that travel would be fully open between these countries.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)

There are still some restrictions at a state level, but WA is the only one that could still be a problem by the time Super Rugby kicks off and even that seemg on news too

There are still some restrictions at a state level, but WA is the only one that could still be a problem by the time Super Rugby kicks off and even that seems unlikely.
:) Cheers I thought Queensland was still out of bounds too, but haven't been checking.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
You would hope they'd have addressed it to a point, but honestly, I think this announcement surprised a lot of people. Super Rugby not supposed to start until mid-Feb next year, by then all the competing countries will be high 90s vaccinated. They probably assumed, like many others, that travel would be fully open between these countries.
That would be a wild assumption to predicate a competition on. You would definitely check.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Hard to do when more and more government policy is seemingly being made up more and more on the fly, unfortunately. If it's anything like their most recent plan for changing restrictions then they'll drop the requirements by January/February.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
:) Cheers I thought Queensland was still out of bounds too, but haven't been checking.
As it currently stands you can come in fine from the South Island only, then once the 80% double dose mark is reached quarantine free travel is available from all safe zone countries (New Zealand is the only one). As long as New Zealand remains a safe zone it'll just be treated like any other Australian state.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Hard to do when more and more government policy is seemingly being made up more and more on the fly, unfortunately. If it's anything like their most recent plan for changing restrictions then they'll drop the requirements by January/February.

It would be easier to achieve in New Zealand then it is Australia, at least in NZ rugby Union is the national sport, Super Rugby the primary winter code and covid quarantine requirements dictated by the federal government and not individuals states.

If they had checked with the government and there was any ever any doubt they should have rejigged the draw so it was similar to last year with domestic games followed by Tran-Tasman component to buy themselves time.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)

Or next Monday ;)

Leader of the Opposition is gunna have a field day with this cluster fuck. Leader of the Nats also :cool:

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
It would be easier to achieve in New Zealand then it is Australia, at least in NZ rugby Union is the national sport, Super Rugby the primary winter code and covid quarantine requirements dictated by the federal government and not individuals states.

If they had checked with the government and there was any ever any doubt they should have rejigged the draw so it was similar to last year with domestic games followed by Tran-Tasman component to buy themselves time.
Yes I imagine there reached a line in the sand, where even with uncertainty on travel, the Super Rugby comp needed to start calling shotgun on a couple of dates, to ensure they had access to the stadiums they need, and didn't clash with the other codes booking the same space in Australia.

I have faith they'll be able to rejig the draw to make it all work.