• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby 2022

Super Rugby 2022

• Go Blues

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • Go cantabs

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Go other NZ team.

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Go Force

Votes: 15 16.0%
  • Go Tahs

Votes: 21 22.3%
  • Go Brumbies

Votes: 9 9.6%
  • Go Reds

Votes: 30 31.9%
  • Go Rebs

Votes: 13 13.8%
  • Go new PI teams

Votes: 9 9.6%
  • Go any team that plays the cantabs

Votes: 12 12.8%

• Total voters

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Well that’s the scheduled game so it may be at a different venue I guess.
Someone mentioned on the Brumbies thread (before the draw came out) that one game would have to be played at Manuka due to a clash. Presumably it’s that one, and in that case an afternoon match would make sense.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Based on the draw, this breakdown of FTA matches on Nine/GEM on Saturday night at 7:45pm AEDT

FTA games by round
Rd 1: Reds vs Chiefs
Rd 2: Drua vs Force
Rd 3: Brumbies vs Waratahs
Rd 4: Reds vs Brumbies
Rd 5: Waratahs vs Rebels
Rd 6: TBC (Drua vs Waratahs or Brumbies vs Chiefs)
Rd 7: Reds vs Waratahs
Rd 8: Reds vs Highlanders
Rd 9: Waratahs vs Force
Rd 10: Rebels vs Chiefs
Rd 11: Drua vs Rebels
Rd 12: Waratahs vs Drua
Rd 13: Waratahs vs Reds
Rd 14: Brumbies vs Crusaders
Rd 15: Reds vs Drua

Total Games on FTA by team (TBC Game):
Waratahs: 6 games, (1 game TBC).. So potentially 7 games overall
Reds: 6
Drua: 4 (1)
Brumbies 3 (1)
Rebels 3
Chiefs: 2 (1)
Force: 2
Highlanders: 1
Crusader: 1

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Based on the draw, this breakdown of FTA matches on Nine/GEM on Saturday night at 7:45pm AEDT

FTA games by round
Rd 1: Reds vs Chiefs
Rd 2: Drua vs Force
Rd 3: Brumbies vs Waratahs
Rd 4: Reds vs Brumbies
Rd 5: Waratahs vs Rebels
Rd 6: TBC (Drua vs Waratahs or Brumbies vs Chiefs)
Rd 7: Reds vs Waratahs
Rd 8: Reds vs Highlanders
Rd 9: Waratahs vs Force
Rd 10: Rebels vs Chiefs
Rd 11: Drua vs Rebels
Rd 12: Waratahs vs Drua
Rd 13: Waratahs vs Reds
Rd 14: Brumbies vs Crusaders
Rd 15: Reds vs Drua

Total Games on FTA by team (TBC Game):
Waratahs: 6 games, (1 game TBC).. So potentially 7 games overall
Reds: 6
Drua: 4 (1)
Brumbies 3 (1)
Rebels 3
Chiefs: 2 (1)
Force: 2
Highlanders: 1
Crusader: 1
Seems like a strange situation when a non-Australian team gets more air time than 3 Australian teams.

I watch on Stan so it will not bother me but people have talked up the value of free to air tv with building rugby and we give it to a foreign team rather than to the Brumbies, Rebels or Force?

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Seems like a strange situation when a non-Australian team gets more air time than 3 Australian teams.

I watch on Stan so it will not bother me but people have talked up the value of free to air tv with building rugby and we give it to a foreign team rather than to the Brumbies, Rebels or Force?

All of those weekends feature at least one Aussie team, it’s just the nature of the draw.

And like last year Reds/Waratahs we’re the two to feature most because that’s the largest markets. Drua have featured heavy because there home games are in Australia and subsequently the time of the kick off align. But they’re still playing Aussie teams in all their matches.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)

“The draw reflects the new look and feel of the competition whether it’s the historic opening match at Mt Smart Stadium, the Super Round, the traditional rivalries that have built up over more than 20 years, or the first time Moana Pasifika and the Fijian Drua go head-to-head on ANZAC weekend.

Queensland Reds

Brumbies (H) Rd 4; (A) Rd 11
Melbourne Rebels (A) Rd 6; (H) Rd 12
NSW Waratahs (H) Rd 7; (A) Rd 13

I would have thought the Force were a bigger traditional rival to the Reds after they formed and took a lot of players.

Round three will celebrate the Women in Rugby Round, with a Culture Round in Round 6, ANZAC Round in Round 10, and a Heritage Round in Round 12.
I hope the Women in Rugby is more than pink jerseys and I assume Culture Round is the new version of an Indigenous Round?

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)

The 'we' give it to foreign team is not quite right though is it? I am pretty sure 9/Stan will be the ones who decide goes on FTA.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Everyone will no doubt have issues with how their side is dealt with, but the Brumbies are particularly disadvantaged by some aspects of the draw.

First, the Brumbies were quite vocal about wanting to have two or three Sunday afternoon games for the comfort of the crowd. They appear to have got none.

Second, most of the home games are later in the draw when the weather is turning icy. Not good again for the crowd.

Then to cap it off, they are the only Aussie side that has to play another NZ side (Chiefs) in the supplementary three matches.

I am truly surprised that they managed to avoid consecutive matches away to the Force followed by the Drua on consecutive weekends. Fortunately the bye lies in between.
Gees BR your post just reminds me that canberra really needs a stadium with ability to have retractable closed roof.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Everyone will no doubt have issues with how their side is dealt with, but the Brumbies are particularly disadvantaged by some aspects of the draw.

First, the Brumbies were quite vocal about wanting to have two or three Sunday afternoon games for the comfort of the crowd. They appear to have got none.

Second, most of the home games are later in the draw when the weather is turning icy. Not good again for the crowd.

Then to cap it off, they are the only Aussie side that has to play another NZ side (Chiefs) in the supplementary three matches.

I am truly surprised that they managed to avoid consecutive matches away to the Force followed by the Drua on consecutive weekends. Fortunately the bye lies in between.

Brumbies draw looks pretty good to me, starts the year with consecutive matches against the 3 lowest ranked teams.

Brumbies have 2 afternoon home games possibly a 3rd with one TBC, and one of those is a Sunday(Rd 12), more then any other Aus team.

Brumbies only have to travel 1 weekend away in the 5 weeks leading into the finals. some see that as a positive.

Druas ‘away’ game will probably be somewhere in Sydney. Force on the other hand are on the road in New Zealand for 3 consecutive weeks.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Just watched Wales vs Fiji match - gees that game showed why so right for Fiji to be in super rugby as Wales got a scare with Fiji playing for good chunk of the game with 14 men (with red card in first half)and also good chunk of the game with 13 men (2 subsequent yellow cards). Wales only pulled away at the end to win 31 to 23. Fiji show so much untapped potential and entry to super rugby and next RC has to be the right path. Scary how good they could be if both happens. Please also got one over nrl before they put a Fiji side in the nrl comp.

Last edited:

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Looking at oz super rugby squads to me looking at reds and brumbies obviously to make the 8 where I see all 5 kiwi teams making the 8 leaving the tahs, rebels and force battling it out to make final spot. Hard to pick which one of those could make it as tahs squad improved whilst I would say not the case for force and rebels overall.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Looking at oz super rugby squads to me looking at reds and brumbies obviously to make the 8 where I see all 5 kiwi teams making the 8 leaving the tahs, rebels, force, MP (Moana Pasifika) & Drua battling it out to make final spot. Hard to pick which one of those could make it as tahs squad improved whilst I would say not the case for force and rebels overall.
FTFY

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
NZ Govt might have thrown the tournament into chaos, they’ve said 14 day quarantine will be scrapped Jan, instead a 7 day home quarantine will exist until April. No exemptions for sporting teams etc to exist.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
NZ Govt might have thrown the tournament into chaos, they’ve said 14 day quarantine will be scrapped Jan, instead a 7 day home quarantine will exist until April. No exemptions for sporting teams etc to exist.
Why? Are they still lagging in vaccinations?

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)

That's not how it's going to work. Anyone arriving from Aus after 16 Jan who's double-vaxxed & returned a negative test within 72 hours of departure won't have to go through MIQ at all. Home quarantine applies to arrivals/ returnees from elsewhere (but still with the double-vax & negative test requirements) from 16 Feb.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)

Is that confirmed even for Australian teams/Australians in general? I thought they'd look at bringing back some type of bubble situation