• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby 2022

Super Rugby 2022

• Go Blues

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • Go cantabs

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Go other NZ team.

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Go Force

Votes: 15 16.0%
  • Go Tahs

Votes: 21 22.3%
  • Go Brumbies

Votes: 9 9.6%
  • Go Reds

Votes: 30 31.9%
  • Go Rebs

Votes: 13 13.8%
  • Go new PI teams

Votes: 9 9.6%
  • Go any team that plays the cantabs

Votes: 12 12.8%

• Total voters

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
So he is not getting any AB top up money. Vunivalu got RA top up money and isn’t he on close to 1m
He did,

It also meant that RA didn't have the money to keep Koroibete in Aus. The whole top up system in Australia is broken, QC (Quade Cooper) was on top up money when playing club rugby in QLD. Players out of form on top up money will continue to get picked ahead of guys who are more deserving of the jersey.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Not sure how it will work anyway as Qld prem was saying if Omicron takes off they will bang the borders shut again anyway, and WA certainly don't seem any keener than NZ on throwing open borders.
Have you got a source for those comments by the Qld premier? Everything I've seen has them pretty unequivocal about not shutting the border now that it's open. On WA they've set a date for February 5, which is much more than NZ have done.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Yeah all Australian state premiers seem pretty keen on opening the borders even with Omicron spread, haven’t heard any suggestion that they’ll snap shut again.

a domestic competition will be good to go, if NZ ever open their borders maybe we will see a TT comp

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Have you got a source for those comments by the Qld premier? Everything I've seen has them pretty unequivocal about not shutting the border now that it's open. On WA they've set a date for February 5, which is much more than NZ have done.
Um when I saw her on tv last night on the NZ news saying that she ready to shut borders again if Omicron rears it's head? Hell how come we hear her saying it and you don't in Aus?

Maybe she was bullshitting yesterday then? Isn't McGowan saying the last Ashes test is not on in Perth, or is that wrong?
The QLD Premier has been pretty clear: no more shut borders.
Mind you it could of been someone who looked exactly like Anna P and sounded just like she did when I was there. Or she could of been just covering all bases.

Last edited:

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Um when I saw her on tv last night on the NZ news saying that she ready to shut borders again if Omicron rears it's head? Hell how come we hear her saying it and you don't in Aus?

Maybe she was bullshitting yesterday then? Isn't McGowan saying the last Ashes test is not on in Perth, or is that wrong?
McGowan wanted the last Ashes test, but the travel and restrictions were going to be a stuff around, so they went with Tasmania.

He announced last night that borders would open from early Feb.

Hasn't been any indication here in QLD that we are in for another border closure. They've mentioned today a possible re-introduction of masks at indoor venues, but that was also something they'd look at down the track.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Wamberal, Dan54, you are both right.
A couple of days ago Anna gave 3 interviews in which she moved her position from "no more border closures" to "perhaps.....".
Must make scheduling the Super games a nightmare.

Wilson

David Codey (61)

Mind you it could of been someone who looked exactly like Anna P and sounded just like she did when I was there. Or she could of been just covering all bases.
Have you got a clip or a specific quote somewhere? Otherwise it's not really a source. As far as the last ashes test goes, CA took it off them and it was set to be played before the border opening date they have set.

Wamberal, Dan54, you are both right.
A couple of days ago Anna gave 3 interviews in which she moved her position from "no more border closures" to "perhaps.....".
Must make scheduling the Super games a nightmare.
"perhaps....." is a bloody long way from "if Omicron takes off they will bang the borders shut again".

sunnyboys

Bob Loudon (25)
pretty sure Anna P. has said "lockdowns" (and mandatory masks for that matter) are still part of their arsenal for managing outbreaks. i think thats different to border closures.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
And in any case, even with lock downs and border restrictions QLD have always made sport work, as much as I disagree with double standards, QLD has demonstrated they will give exemptions to athletes.

IMO the topic of QLD borders aren’t nearly the same threat to Super Rugby 22 as much as the NZ border stance is.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Have you got a clip or a specific quote somewhere? Otherwise it's not really a source. As far as the last ashes test goes, CA took it off them and it was set to be played before the border opening date they have set.

"perhaps....." is a bloody long way from "if Omicron takes off they will bang the borders shut again".
Na mate, I saw her say it,I don't keep clips, or even know how to get them, and anyone who has read my posts I don't really accept scources, but her actually saying it isn't actually a scource. But as FF (Folau Fainga'a) also saw it I not going stupid.
By no means did she say she was going to bang border shut, neither I or FF (Folau Fainga'a) said that, just said it could still happen if they feel there a problem. To be honest if it gets into Qld will be too late to shut border you would think.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
And in any case, even with lock downs and border restrictions QLD have always made sport work, as much as I disagree with double standards, QLD has demonstrated they will give exemptions to athletes.

IMO the topic of QLD borders aren’t nearly the same threat to Super Rugby 22 as much as the NZ border stance is.
As I said I hearing rumours (and only rumours) that they are looking at playing TT part first, and maybe relocting that part to Aus, then do derbies etc in both countries. Don't like the idea myself,(at all, for a couple of reasons) but can see why they contemplating it.
But I also see more games up north are under threat, with both Leinster and Wasps squads looking shakey with Covid.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
By no means did she say she was going to bang border shut, neither I or FF (Folau Fainga'a) said that, just said it could still happen if they feel there a problem. To be honest if it gets into Qld will be too late to shut border you would think.
Mate you said exactly that, it was a direct quote of your post:
Was reading one of plans was playing the TT part first in Aus and then going to derbies etc after. Hope not myself, but will have to see. Not sure how it will work anyway as Qld prem was saying if Omicron takes off they will bang the borders shut again anyway, and WA certainly don't seem any keener than NZ on throwing open borders.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Mate you said exactly that, it was a direct quote of your post:
"Um when I saw her on tv last night on the NZ news saying that she ready to shut borders again if Omicron rears it's head? Hell how come we hear her saying it and you don't in Aus?"

Ok apologies if that seems she going to shut borders , perhapsI should of said she would shut them quietly;), but point taken mate. Just said she was prepared to shut borders if needed with Omicron regardless of the noise level. As I said hopefully it was just to cover all possiblities

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Just a question fellas. Are the figures I reading correct, almost 2000 cases in NSW and Victoria yesterday, and Qld have just opened borders? I thought figures were well down on that. I haven't been checking lately, and basically thought had it under control a bit more. Bugger son was meant to be moving home to NZ in January , and I can see the new relaxed rules not coming into play on Jam 17th!!:(

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Just a question fellas. Are the figures I reading correct, almost 2000 cases in NSW and Victoria yesterday, and Qld have just opened borders? I thought figures were well down on that. I haven't been checking lately, and basically thought had it under control a bit more. Bugger son was meant to be moving home to NZ in January , and I can see the new relaxed rules not coming into play on Jam 17th!!:(

Why are you asking if the figures are correct? We don’t keep two sets.

at the need of the day, if New Zealand isn’t going to open up unless there’s zero covid cases then the borders will never open. Covid will always exist in the community and fretting over daily numbers is a pointless experience if the bulk of the community is vaccinated.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Why are you asking if the figures are correct? We don’t keep two sets.

at the need of the day, if New Zealand isn’t going to open up unless there’s zero covid cases then the borders will never open. Covid will always exist in the community and fretting over daily numbers is a pointless experience if the bulk of the community is vaccinated.
Oh hell mate, I not suggesting anyone's right or wrong, was just surprised as I thought NSW and Vic had broken the back of it is all, and hoping Qld doen't get stuffed is all. Actually think Qld have done it well.
I not sure who told you NZ's policy is zero,(be interested to hear your scource) we certainly haven't heard about it over here though, but would agree it's not possible. I think our policy is tough, but have a feeling most people would prefer the numbers to be down from any country before opening doors to them. Don't really want what's happening in Europe etc where they starting to lock down again.

Also thought maybe I had read wrong data, not suggesting in anyway that anyone keeping double figure or anything!

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Oh hell mate, I not suggesting anyone's right or wrong, was just surprised as I thought NSW and Vic had broken the back of it is all, and hoping Qld doen't get stuffed is all. Actually think Qld have done it well.
I not sure who told you NZ's policy is zero,(be interested to hear your scource) we certainly haven't heard about it over here though, but would agree it's not possible. I think our policy is tough, but have a feeling most people would prefer the numbers to be down from any country before opening doors to them. Don't really want what's happening in Europe etc where they starting to lock down again.

Also thought maybe I had read wrong data, not suggesting in anyway that anyone keeping double figure or anything!

It read like a convenient way to bring the topic of covid numbers up when you’ve already seen the figures.

Like I said, i think its pointless fretting over daily covid figures once the vast majority of the population is vaccinated anyway, which has now happened.

Only figures which matter are hospitalisations and they’re still trending down and that reflects the vaccinations. So let’s open the borders.

sunnyboys

Bob Loudon (25)
qld is a good chance to be under lockdowns and masks by feb i reckon. just yesterday three flights into the state got listed as exposure sites.

its coming for sure.

NSW back up to 800 new cases and Vic has rarely seen under 1000 per day.

Revised Super Rugby draw due out soon apparently.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Nah ‘exposure sites’ don’t mean much if the population has over 90% vaccination and booster programs been rolled out.

It was never simply about the number of people testing positive, it was always about the hospitalisation rate and ability to manage the number of people in hospitals, which is the factor people seem to have forgotten.