• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby 2022

Super Rugby 2022

• Go Blues

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • Go cantabs

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Go other NZ team.

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Go Force

Votes: 15 16.0%
  • Go Tahs

Votes: 21 22.3%
  • Go Brumbies

Votes: 9 9.6%
  • Go Reds

Votes: 30 31.9%
  • Go Rebs

Votes: 13 13.8%
  • Go new PI teams

Votes: 9 9.6%
  • Go any team that plays the cantabs

Votes: 12 12.8%

• Total voters

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
I not sure who told you NZ's policy is zero,(be interested to hear your scource) we certainly haven't heard about it over here though, but would agree it's not possible.
The Ardern strategy recently changed from it's long held "Zero Covid" to "a new COVID-19 response that aims to contain the virus, rather than attempting to eliminate it completely." (Jacinda Ardern, ABC News, 4th October)
The change was due to come in on Dec 2.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
qld is a good chance to be under lockdowns and masks by feb i reckon. just yesterday three flights into the state got listed as exposure sites.

its coming for sure.

NSW back up to 800 new cases and Vic has rarely seen under 1000 per day.

Revised Super Rugby draw due out soon apparently.
Also Covid doesn’t spread in Queensland, don’t know why it would start now. Doubt it’ll ever reach Melbourne levels.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Um when I saw her on tv last night on the NZ news saying that she ready to shut borders again if Omicron rears it's head? Hell how come we hear her saying it and you don't in Aus?

Maybe she was bullshitting yesterday then? Isn't McGowan saying the last Ashes test is not on in Perth, or is that wrong?

Mind you it could of been someone who looked exactly like Anna P and sounded just like she did when I was there. Or she could of been just covering all bases.
It is fake news to make kiwis feel not alone with closed borders:)

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
It is fake news to make kiwis feel not alone with closed borders:)
:D Only reason I a little concerned with it taking off in Aus again, is our borders were more or less open to NZers from Jan 17th, and son is trying to move back, but I can see Aunty Cindy changing mind if figures keep that high in Aus. Personally I would be happy if she opened border, but they still going with a bit at a time to see what happens. I don't know when borders are due to open fully or anything yet, but they reckon they don't want to open and then close them again, which a lot of countries (including Aus) have done with African states.
But anyway this is a rugby site, and I only worried here on effect on rugby,(apart from my son with me) and we seeing games up north having to be called off etc because of the bloody thing, and I just hoping we not going to cop that happening down here.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
The Ardern strategy recently changed from it's long held "Zero Covid" to "a new COVID-19 response that aims to contain the virus, rather than attempting to eliminate it completely." (Jacinda Ardern, ABC News, 4th October)
The change was due to come in on Dec 2.
Yep they said that as soon as Delta arrived, and I believe that is how it will be, and wife just got home from gym with rumours we got our first case here in Hawera, which will start a mild flurry of worry I imagine.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Also Covid doesn’t spread in Queensland, don’t know why it would start now. Doubt it’ll ever reach Melbourne levels.
The way Covid has spread more rapidly in Melbourne surely has to come down to the housing density, all the suburbs are so packed in together where the main spread has been. The outer East where its not as packed as been relatively ok compared to the inner north and north west.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Am I the only one sick of reading/talking about COVID?

Understand it will impact Super Rugby 2022, but Rugby is my escape from all that crap and don’t really want to talk about it in here beyond what the impact on the Rugby will be.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Move the entire thing here. My club will host one of the Kiwi teams - got enough fucking kiwis in the club to justify it.

Last edited:

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Move the entire thing here. My club will host one of the Kiwi teams - got enough fucking kiwis in the club to justify it.
As I said the rumour I heard was considering moving it to Aus for the crossover games and then return home for derbies. As I said I know something like that may happen, but yeah-naa from me.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
If the comps are going to be segregated to start the season, I think it would make sense to play the local versions first, per last year.

The cynic in me thinks from an Australian perspective in particular it would be good to drum up some interest with teams actually being competitive with each other. Have the local derbies to whet the appetite, before unleashing the Aussies to the wolves.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
If the comps are going to be segregated to start the season, I think it would make sense to play the local versions first, per last year.

The cynic in me thinks from an Australian perspective in particular it would be good to drum up some interest with teams actually being competitive with each other. Have the local derbies to whet the appetite, before unleashing the Aussies to the wolves.
Doing the same as last year will have the same results - some initial interest which is immediately killed off come TT.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Yep sad state of affairs that kiwi ex pats make a higher proportion of rugby fans I suspect then 7 years ago
It is really , but in my experience in the 24yrs I was in Aus ex-pat kiwis made a huge proportion of rugby fans. That was at from clubs level in Brisbane, where a good number of clubs wouldn't exist (or their teams) without ex-pats unfortunately.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
It is really , but in my experience in the 24yrs I was in Aus ex-pat kiwis made a huge proportion of rugby fans. That was at from clubs level in Brisbane, where a good number of clubs wouldn't exist (or their teams) without ex-pats unfortunately.
Yeh but as I said the fact higher proportion of fans now kiwi expats as domestic fans deserted the game for other codes (afl etc) is sad. Don’t disagree that wasn’t for kiwi ex pats we would be in even more dire straits. Don’t want to dig up old wounds but just sad state of affairs that allowed the game to get to where it is today. Not withstanding now trying to rebuild albeit from lower fan base then had a decade ago.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Doing the same as last year will have the same results - some initial interest which is immediately killed off come TT.

Yep I see that as a problem, but I think the inverse would be worse.

People losing interest in the TT comp after a few weeks, and then the local derbies start up and you'll hear the moans of 'why would I watch a bunch of wooden spooners play each other?'.

Regardless, at the end of the day if the Aussie teams can show some ticker in 2022 and win a few games against the NZ sides, the whole argument becomes moot and we end up with a great product.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Yep I see that as a problem, but I think the inverse would be worse.

People losing interest in the TT comp after a few weeks, and then the local derbies start up and you'll hear the moans of 'why would I watch a bunch of wooden spooners play each other?'.

Regardless, at the end of the day if the Aussie teams can show some ticker in 2022 and win a few games against the NZ sides, the whole argument becomes moot and we end up with a great product.
To me definition of madness is play out same thing (5 oz teams against 5 kiwi teams with depth issues and lack of free flow of players between oz and nz due to national team selection relying on playing in local teams) and expecting a different result.

Don’t get me wrong hoping for some marginal improvement of oz sides against kiwi sides but until a real solution to the above diliema is addressed I am skeptical of the ability of super rugby pacific to be successful.