• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby 2022

Super Rugby 2022

• Go Blues

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • Go cantabs

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Go other NZ team.

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Go Force

Votes: 15 16.0%
  • Go Tahs

Votes: 21 22.3%
  • Go Brumbies

Votes: 9 9.6%
  • Go Reds

Votes: 30 31.9%
  • Go Rebs

Votes: 13 13.8%
  • Go new PI teams

Votes: 9 9.6%
  • Go any team that plays the cantabs

Votes: 12 12.8%

• Total voters

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I think many are perplexed with the all in on super rugby pacific without addressing the imbalance of teams issue that TT provided and hence a poor rugby product. I think most of us are hoping it is a short term thing with plans to address this either way when have pe investment and hence funding to consider other options. The scary thing would be if there is not a plan b as doing effectively the same thing again (TT) and expecting a different result must be a definition of insanity.
As I said supposedly the imbalance was always there, and it's only now with FTA (admittedly only 1 game a week) it's suddenly become a problem? Maybe should of stayed behind a paywall??

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
As I said supposedly the imbalance was always there, and it's only now with FTA (admittedly only 1 game a week) it's suddenly become a problem? Maybe should of stayed behind a paywall??
Nah the imbalance issue as been a big part of the where to super rugby thread billion page issues over the years alongside the Other issues (Unfriendly time zones etc with South Africa) that have been resolved. Not a new problem but rather one that was solved with super rugby au (thanks to Covid) but not addressed by last years TT or planned super rugby pacific.

Joe King

Dave Cowper (27)
Even though my logic dictates that if the Australian teams need to rely on lots of reserves and the NZ teams don't, it will be worse than TT last year, it's amazing how hopeful I still feel just before the season begins.

It's like the hopeful expectation you feel before going out for a night on the town when younger. And then at the end of the night thinking, that didn't work out as good as I'd hoped.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Nah the imbalance issue as been a big part of the where to super rugby thread billion page issues over the years alongside the Other issues (Unfriendly time zones etc with South Africa) that have been resolved. Not a new problem but rather one that was solved with super rugby au (thanks to Covid) but not addressed by last years TT or planned super rugby pacific.
Yep. but I only talking about why seemingly now there a ptroblem getting jersey sponsors, nothing else, as I said I would of thought FTA would encourage them as supposedly more casual viewers can watch even briefly, so you would think it makes it more attractive. Yet now teams seemingly can't get sponsors? Let's hope it's just something that will sort itself out as season get's closer.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Even though my logic dictates that if the Australian teams need to rely on lots of reserves and the NZ teams don't, it will be worse than TT last year, it's amazing how hopeful I still feel just before the season begins.

It's like the hopeful expectation you feel before going out for a night on the town when younger. And then at the end of the night thinking, that didn't work out as good as I'd hoped.
Mate there is no way we going to avoid the same problems, and maybe NZ teams may even have it worse as we may have our so called peak around TT time! But otherwise as you say it can exagerate problems.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Yep. but I only talking about why seemingly now there a ptroblem getting jersey sponsors, nothing else, as I said I would of thought FTA would encourage them as supposedly more casual viewers can watch even briefly, so you would think it makes it more attractive. Yet now teams seemingly can't get sponsors? Let's hope it's just something that will sort itself out as season get's closer.

The issue has nothing to do with FTA, it’s because the product isn’t set yet.

I’m generalising here but when the game was on Fox Sports, prior to those last few seasons, a sponsor knew the lay of the land and the competition was pretty black and white in terms of how many teams, what the viewership and attendance looked like etc.

Now we’re in a situation where there has been local Super Rugby, SRTT and now despite a planned SRTT, Covid has forced the comp to be segregated again, honestly we don’t know when that will be resolved despite a new draw set.

Even the inclusion of the Pasifika and Drus would be muddying the water, because again until those teams are a proven success, sponsors will just look at them and say meh it’s another dose of the Japanese and Argentines and they won’t be around in 3 years.

Reactions: mst

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
I would have thought that there would be a chance to get airlines/flight centre as sponsors as travelling opens up a bit more.

I just hope we don't end up with every team being sponsored by betting agencies, I have nothing against sports betting and participate myself but hate the look, it makes the sport look desperate.

I wonder if the teams can "give away" their sponsor to a charity and claim the value as some type of tax deduction? Maybe some type of health message if there is some type of medical message that could benefit the community in 2022???

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
this is apparently happening. The clubs are identifying about 50 players to act as a pool of players to be drawn on if injuries or illness happen. I don’t believe they will be in a bubble though. It wouldn’t surprise me if they are even just academy players.

So the Force could over here and lose a flanker or two, and someone like Sam Wallis could end up benching for them. In reality he could then turn out for the Rebels the following week too. Or any team that needed him.
I think the Buffalo Bills separated their backup quarter back a couple of years ago and he did not go into a bubble, but was not allowed any contact with players/coaches (he had his own coach) so he could step in and have no contact tracing issues with the team. They were the only team to do it at that stage.

Other teams have done this now as the Denver Broncos had all 4 of their quarterbacks out with Covid.

I like the idea of a pool of players, it may be that I am desperate for more Rugby on TV but it would be great to have a replacement league where they play a game every week that can be broadcast as a curtain raiser.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
I would have thought that there would be a chance to get airlines/flight centre as sponsors as travelling opens up a bit more.

I just hope we don't end up with every team being sponsored by betting agencies, I have nothing against sports betting and participate myself but hate the look, it makes the sport look desperate.

I wonder if the teams can "give away" their sponsor to a charity and claim the value as some type of tax deduction? Maybe some type of health message if there is some type of medical message that could benefit the community in 2022???
They are all struggling finically so slashing any cash would be well down the list of things to so.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
They are all struggling finically so slashing any cash would be well down the list of things to so.
Yep I was going to say - I don’t think any Australian rugby teams are in a place to have a ‘pro Bono’ sponsorship.

It might look nice on paper but 6 months down the track when the toilets in the change room need fixing and you’re passing the hat around at training, it’s not so great.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I won’t pretend I’m an expert at negotiating sponsorship deals, although I have seen some of the NRC stuff and helped out at club level, it’s nothing compared to what these guys would be wanting.

But surely this late in the piece, the Aussie franchises just need to find a local sponsor who doesn’t care about the larger SRTT market, get them signed on to a reasonable deal under the pretence that SRAU is the main product, and any exposure outside of that is a bonus for the sponsor.

That may all be happening currently behind the scenes, but 4 weeks out from a competition to start and no word about any sponsors makes this seem more like a park footy tournament than the global premier rugby competition it’s supposed to be.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Don’t worry. The playing kit will be COVERED in sponsors. Main jersey space may be empty but there’s probably more value in keeping that as a high value item rather than discounting it to Micks Meat Barn, or the like.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Don’t worry. The playing kit will be COVERED in sponsors. Main jersey space may be empty but there’s probably more value in keeping that as a high value item rather than discounting it to Micks Meat Barn, or the like.
I agree RR, as I said FTA must make it very attractive, and so there should be still plenty of sponsors for small sponsors, and I still reckon someone will buy main spot.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)

certainy no shortage of sponsors when you’re signing official tortilla partners
DD0E3BB4-FB1F-4DE6-BD96-AD89113C348C.jpeg

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
So don't do what the RA Rebels have done the last few seasons?