• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby 2022

Super Rugby 2022

• Go Blues

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • Go cantabs

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Go other NZ team.

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Go Force

Votes: 15 16.0%
  • Go Tahs

Votes: 21 22.3%
  • Go Brumbies

Votes: 9 9.6%
  • Go Reds

Votes: 30 31.9%
  • Go Rebs

Votes: 13 13.8%
  • Go new PI teams

Votes: 9 9.6%
  • Go any team that plays the cantabs

Votes: 12 12.8%

• Total voters

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
who pays for the pool of club players to isolate and train for 4 months though? That’s not a cheap idea especially if they can’t work their day jobs, which is a fair chance in accordance with covid protocols.

could it be the Australian Under 20s? Or all those 'academy' players in each squad that are basically just on holding 'contracts'. The Conor Vests, the Sam Wallises etc

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
could it be the Australian Under 20s? Or all those 'academy' players in each squad that are basically just on holding 'contracts'. The Conor Vests, the Sam Wallises etc
To me that’s the obvious mix. The best/most physically capable of the u20s plus a few older blokes who are prepared to do some extra work for a retainer. Is previously noted, main emphasis would be on making sure they can compete safely at scrum time. Everything else would be a bonus.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
To me that’s the obvious mix. The best/most physically capable of the u20s plus a few older blokes who are prepared to do some extra work for a retainer. Is previously noted, main emphasis would be on making sure they can compete safely at scrum time. Everything else would be a bonus.

That back up front row holding up is a big ask imo. Love the plan, but man that is a step up.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
That back up front row holding up is a big ask imo. Love the plan, but man that is a step up.

Is it? I admit it’s hard to work out what each team’s squad is but the Reds have:

THP - Tupou, Nongorr, Fotuaika (can play both)
LHP - Zander, Blake, Hoopert
Hooker - Mafi, Asiata, Nasser

that’s just the main squad.

In QPR, at least last year, was players like:

Jethro Felemi, Jack Stracker, Hamish Richardson, Zac Crothers, Albert Anae, Emosi Tuquiri, Maile Ngauamo, Tonga Maafu, Bronson Tauakipulu, Nick Turner, Egan Siggs.

and that ignores players who have gone off to train in the academy of other teams - Andrew Romano, Harry Vella, Matt Faessler

sure it’s a step up, but they are all legit good players who I think could cut it at a higher level (some already have that experience).

Reactions: dru

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
who pays for the pool of club players to isolate and train for 4 months though? That’s not a cheap idea especially if they can’t work their day jobs, which is a fair chance in accordance with covid protocols.

I would assume if RA went down the BBL model that the clubs would continue to pay the player but every club would nominate a back & forward that could be "pooled" to other side if it went through them.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Is it? I admit it’s hard to work out what each team’s squad is but the Reds have:

THP - Tupou, Nongorr, Fotuaika (can play both)
LHP - Zander, Blake, Hoopert
Hooker - Mafi, Asiata, Nasser

that’s just the main squad.

In QPR, at least last year, was players like:

Jethro Felemi, Jack Stracker, Hamish Richardson, Zac Crothers, Albert Anae, Emosi Tuquiri, Maile Ngauamo, Tonga Maafu, Bronson Tauakipulu, Nick Turner, Egan Siggs.

and that ignores players who have gone off to train in the academy of other teams - Andrew Romano, Harry Vella, Matt Faessler

sure it’s a step up, but they are all legit good players who I think could cut it at a higher level (some already have that experience).

It's great to have the confidence and I'm no expert, never played in the front row. But I wonder about a clubbie packing against AAA or Tupou. Seems a big call to say "all you have to do is hold up your side of the scrum".

Love the idea of the preparation all the same.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
If you like at that list though, and there are a lot of guys in there I don’t know, but guys like Felemi, Straker & Anae have demonstrated that they can scrum safely at super level.

At the other end of the scale and in the abscence of the NRC it might actually give a couple of young guys a chance to at least train with a few of the super squads and, hopefully, impress enough to come into consideration to be picked up.

Reactions: dru

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
If we want rugby and what’s happened in Europe happens here, that’s what we will get. Honestly, the best in the world get worked over by TT, let alone a Super Rugby player. Hopefully these are all hypotheticals and we don’t have to see it, but a club like Sydney Uni have a stockpile of props that would “hold up a side of the scrum” professionally (unless they all went to MLR)

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
It's great to have the confidence and I'm no expert, never played in the front row. But I wonder about a clubbie packing against AAA or Tupou. Seems a big call to say "all you have to do is hold up your side of the scrum".

Love the idea of the preparation all the same. Yep

So your saying if the Reds lose Zander, Fotuaika, Hoopert, Asiata and Blake all the weekend before we play the Brumbies then we may have cause to be concerned? Well I’m happy to wait until they extreme circumstance before waving the white flag.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
So your saying if the Reds lose Zander, Fotuaika, Hoopert, Asiata and Blake all the weekend before we play the Brumbies then we may have cause to be concerned? Well I’m happy to wait until they extreme circumstance before waving the white flag.

Mate, I'm happy to run with your thinking, no need for the agitation. Happy to be considered wrong, I'd just be concerned that the result isn't much better than conceded scrums. Guys from the squad should be ready to step up, no issues there.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
It’s a shame there isn’t money left in the coffers, because these scenarios are the perfect catalyst to move club rugby into a more professional type setup. The NRL won’t be faced with these issues because they know they’ve got a legitimate professional competition in the Q Cup/NSW Cup of players who are ready and paid to be available for 1st grade if called upon, not just this season, but all the time.

Same thing in the US, the NBA is being decimated, but they’ve got a legitimate professional feeder competition sitting underneath them. Their Commish authorised all teams to get extra roster spots to sign Covid relief players and most are performing very well with their opportunities.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Is Nic Berry reffing? Imagine the blow up when Tupou, Nasser & Patu get us home in the 79th minute with a scrum penalty.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
  • Go cantabs: Votes: 0

• Go any team that plays the cantabs: Votes: 10

giphy.gif

Jimmyjam

Darby Loudon (17)
Take Hooper's huge cap tally out of the mix and remaining squad average test caps goes down to 2... Total caps 46 between 22 players.

The next highest capped player and the only other player with double digits (16) is Bell... and he's only in his second year of Super Rugby!

Take Hooper's even bigger Super rugby cap tally out and the squad game average goes down to 28.

Apart from Hooper the rest of the Tahs squad are significantly less inexperienced than every other SRAU team, even compared to the reds who are the youngest squad That's a big gap to fill.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Take Hooper's huge cap tally out of the mix and remaining squad average test caps goes down to 2... Total caps 46 between 22 players.

The next highest capped player and the only other player with double digits (16) is Bell... and he's only in his second year of Super Rugby!

Take Hooper's even bigger Super rugby cap tally out and the squad game average goes down to 28.

Apart from Hooper the rest of the Tahs squad are significantly less inexperienced than every other SRAU team, even compared to the reds who are the youngest squad That's a big gap to fill.
2014 feels like a very long time ago.