• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby 2022

Super Rugby 2022

• Go Blues

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • Go cantabs

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Go other NZ team.

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Go Force

Votes: 15 16.0%
  • Go Tahs

Votes: 21 22.3%
  • Go Brumbies

Votes: 9 9.6%
  • Go Reds

Votes: 30 31.9%
  • Go Rebs

Votes: 13 13.8%
  • Go new PI teams

Votes: 9 9.6%
  • Go any team that plays the cantabs

Votes: 12 12.8%

• Total voters

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Looks like Reds going in a bubble again

B6897260-D07F-4170-85B5-53AED60ADF21.jpeg

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Waiting for some of you Aussies to give us take on your teams, strengths and weaknesses.
To quote that great philosopher Frank Sinatra, we 'Tahs supporters have high hopes, high as the sky apple piii-ie hopes.
A successful new coach, new training facilities on the way, Hoops is back, Bell will be even better this year, Ned Hanigan will exhibit new-found mongrel to go with his speed and line out capabilities, Lachie Swinton's new maturity will stand out like a beacon, and the three-way contest for 5/8 (Donaldson, Edmed, and Harrison) will be great for the team.
Oh, and Hoops is back.
Worth a punt for finalists. The great reset will happen.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
To quote that great philosopher Frank Sinatra, we 'Tahs supporters have high hopes, high as the sky apple piii-ie hopes.
A successful new coach, new training facilities on the way, Hoops is back, Bell will be even better this year, Ned Hanigan will exhibit new-found mongrel to go with his speed and line out capabilities, Lachie Swinton's new maturity will stand out like a beacon, and the three-way contest for 5/8 (Donaldson, Edmed, and Harrison) will be great for the team.
Oh, and Hoops is back.
Nothing like a bit of optimism. As somebody who watched NSW beat the All Blacks back in 1965 (I think it was) I still have a remnant of affection for the blighters.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
We don't want to give too much away. (Or we just don't know).
Promise we won't tell anyone in any coaching groups, and we will bock them from the site for a while. ;)
I genuinely wondering how the Aussie boys see the strengths etc of their teams.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Oh, and Hoops is back.
I would tend to agree, Hoops being back will be a huge plus, plus another years experience from a young team will help too!

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
In juniors if they other team didn't have enough players and we had more then enough, then we would give them some of ours.....

I mean... I would prefer that rather then the game be cancelled
Not such a crazy idea in trying times. Might need this sort of out of the box (last resort thinking) if means player safety compromised (ie bringing in club players or too many academy players etc)

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Oh, and Hoops is back.
Yeh I think we will rebuild from here but also Coleman needs to be given time and no knee jerk reactions if tahs don’t get many wins next season.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Not such a crazy idea in trying times. Might need this sort of out of the box (last resort thinking) if means player safety compromised (ie bringing in club players or too many academy players etc)
Yep they used to do similar in 7s rugby didn'tthey? I have actually seen it in 3rd div rugby here in te Naki, team I was watching had about 6 injuries and no reserves left, no probs, player from other team wandered over and grabbed a jersey and game went on with 15 each side!

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Hi Dan. I guess the problem I see with rating the teams is relativity. When I look at the Reds I see a still young, but maturing squad. If they can keep them together than they are really still 2 yrs away from when the team should really be expected to peak. Nonetheless, last year they were the best Australian team, but found out a far bit short in TT. A lot will depend this year on the success of their physical conditioning program, the ability of their front liners to take a further step up and, in particular, the level to which their next tier players can improve from last year to this. Here is my take -

1. Front Row - Tupou obviously the stand out, but still a bit of work to do on his tackle success and ball security. Alex Mafi also quality. The rest are all solid, but players we need more from.
2. Locks - LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) I see similar to Tupou. Already quality but has potential (IMO) to be truly top tier if he finds the extra physicality that Rennie is chasing. The rest of his game is top shelf. The rest have good potential, but we need the to see improvement. Could be a position of strength for us. Would like to see Blyth have a breakout year. I know he slipped back last year but he is only young and I see lots to like
3. Back row - genuine strength and depth, but Rennie has left them with plenty of motivation
4. Halves - Tate & JOC (James O'Connor) - very good. Below that need a lot of improvement. I am heartened by reports of Thomas’ progress in prems. If JOC (James O'Connor) goes down we are relying on cover from a utility or an absolute rookie
5. Centre & Outside backs - excellent. Stewart, Henry, Paisami, Daugunu, Vunivalu, Petaia & Campbell with back up of Flook, Droasese is a quality group.

I think I’ve covered the weaknesses as I went along. There is definitely quality there, but last year we got found out on our capacity to physically match the NZ forwards and our ability to maintain pace and intensity. A sobering stat for me was the missed tackle stats when our tackle success had been so good for Super AU. A few guys too have crucial years in terms of staking their claims for starting roles and test jerseys. Aiming for top 3 is realistic (IMO) but so too is a mid-table finish if they can’t find that extra gear.

I back us in though. Mafi, LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto), Wilson & Vunivalu to be the guys who really take their game up a level. Will be really interested who gets the gig at 12.

Last edited:

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Yep they used to do similar in 7s rugby didn'tthey? I have actually seen it in 3rd div rugby here in te Naki, team I was watching had about 6 injuries and no reserves left, no probs, player from other team wandered over and grabbed a jersey and game went on with 15 each side!

yep I remember Jason Little playing for Fiji (perhaps at the Hong Kong 7s) in the final one year because they had injuries and we’d been knocked out.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
If for example the Waratahs travel to Queensland and on the day of the game find out they’re going to be short a outside back on the bench due to Covid, would it really be the worst thing for the Reds to give them one of their outside back who isn’t in their own match day squad.

Players are professional enough to put in 100% regardless of team they’re playing for, especially those outside the match-day squad with a point to prove.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Players are professional enough to put in 100% regardless of team they’re playing for, especially those outside the match-day squad with a point to prove.
There might be some New South Welshers playing for Qld clubs who would like a chance.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
If for example the Waratahs travel to Queensland and on the day of the game find out they’re going to be short a outside back on the bench due to Covid, would it really be the worst thing for the Reds to give them one of their outside back who isn’t in their own match day squad.

If we were in a normal environment this would be strange but as we are not in a normal environment I kinda think this could be accepted as normal / practical. Clearly not the ideal but if it meant game going ahead vs cancelled or player safety at risk (too many green academy / club players) I know which I would choose.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)

When I coached the juniors, when a team was short and not very competitive, we'd lend them some of our rep players to make it a contest for our team. (Not suggesting this at Super Rugby though:)

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
When I coached the juniors, when a team was short and not very competitive, we'd lend them some of our rep players to make it a contest for our team. (Not suggesting this at Super Rugby though:)
The quickest way for a coach to generate dislike from the players is to send them to play for the opponents!

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
The quickest way for a coach to generate dislike from the players is to send them to play for the opponents!
Mate when I coached 5-8yo kids, if score was blowing out at halftime, I would put get 1 or 2 top players to swap, found it was always pretty good.
Hell looked after a cricket team for a while where own son was star batsman and they were playing an all girls team on a Saturday morning (about 9-10yo) and they were struggling for numbers, I asked for volunteers and was pleased that son and mate that played rugby in my team both stepped staright forward and played for them.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)

I actually think this is something the governing body for super rugby pacific should discuss in terms of Covid scenarios to consider to keep games going (obviously only emergency situations). I think the sentiment on here reflects the fan view that they would rather see this then a game cancelled. More so all pro sporting codes might need to be innovative and prepared for compromise to keep games and indeed the competition going.