• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby 2022

Super Rugby 2022

• Go Blues

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • Go cantabs

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Go other NZ team.

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Go Force

Votes: 15 16.0%
  • Go Tahs

Votes: 21 22.3%
  • Go Brumbies

Votes: 9 9.6%
  • Go Reds

Votes: 30 31.9%
  • Go Rebs

Votes: 13 13.8%
  • Go new PI teams

Votes: 9 9.6%
  • Go any team that plays the cantabs

Votes: 12 12.8%

• Total voters

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I think the general sentiment of having extra players available is correct, but it would have to be prearranged, not left as a last minute thing on game day.

Need to remember 1st grade in Australia isn’t professional. Not every player will be sitting around on a weekend waiting to get a Covid call up for a Super team, they have jobs, families, other interests etc.

A more practical solution is RA funding a ‘Covid Squad’ for each team. A group of say 10 players from local clubland who are absolute last resort options. They don’t need to necessarily train with the team much, just be ready to play on a weekend if needed, and would travel with the team interstate. Travel costs would be covered and they’d be paid a nominal sum on weekends to make sure they’re available.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I think the general sentiment of having extra players available is correct, but it would have to be prearranged, not left as a last minute thing on game day.

Need to remember 1st grade in Australia isn’t professional. Not every player will be sitting around on a weekend waiting to get a Covid call up for a Super team, they have jobs, families, other interests etc.

A more practical solution is RA funding a ‘Covid Squad’ for each team. A group of say 10 players from local clubland who are absolute last resort options. They don’t need to necessarily train with the team much, just be ready to play on a weekend if needed, and would travel with the team interstate. Travel costs would be covered and they’d be paid a nominal sum on weekends to make sure they’re available.

Super Rugby teams already carry extra players on matchday anyway, up to and including during warm-up in case someone is a last minute scratching. It would simply be a case of each team carrying a couple more then they usually do

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Super Rugby teams already carry extra players on matchday anyway, up to and including during warm-up in case someone is a last minute scratching. It would simply be a case of each team carrying a couple more then they usually do
Yes I don’t think super rugby sides can afford the financial burden of having extra squad players to cover Covid scenarios. There are better financial last resort options then this

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Anyway I still got the Clan to do!
Positives (struggling to come up with a lot)
1. They got decent tighties without being great, De Groot, Johnstone and Coltman ok, and actually pretty keen om Joh Dickson and Selby-Rickett at lock.
2 9-10 , any team with Nuggy Smith is pretty well off at 9, and if Fakatava is up and running, could well have best 2 x 9s in comp, Miitch Hunt is pretty handy 10
3 Once again if Umaga-Jensen has recovered, he will be part of a pretty handy midfield with Gregory etc.
4 They are the bloody Clan, and always seem to play better than the sum of their parts!!!

Negatives
1 Losing Pari Pari is pretty big
2 Not sure they got depth in a few positions when injuries hit, Marty Banks has got legendary status down in Speightsland, but he really more suited to cruising around in Japan these days. Same as Loosies, I like Tu'u, Frizzell, Renton but not sure you want too many injuries.

Prediction is they may well struggle to make top 8 for finals, as with revised draw and so many NZ derbies early, I thinking they may well be behind 8 ball and a fe injuries always happen in them .
I maybe just hoping they going to let Canes and up ahead of them of course!

See WCR, I can sometimes fix things. :D :D

Reactions: TSR

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Reds have already announced that they are going into a bubble with Ballymore locked down. If the season proceeds with bubbles in place , there will be no shortage of “extras” from each team keen for a run regardless of who that is for.

Hopefully not a repeat of 2020 where we saw the extended squads playing next to no footy and effectively being used as opposed training.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Reds have already announced that they are going into a bubble with Ballymore locked down. If the season proceeds with bubbles in place , there will be no shortage of “extras” from each team keen for a run regardless of who that is for.

Hopefully not a repeat of 2020 where we saw the extended squads playing next to no footy and effectively being used as opposed training.

not sure if they are going into a bubble, more they are just not letting randoms into Ballymore.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
I spoke to an NRL ref recently who outlined their "biosecurity bubble" policies and procedures last season.
They were very intrusive, policed heavily, and gave the Qld government no leeway to say "you weren't protecting the community."
Confined to rooms, constant mask wearing and new mask changes, small yardage allowed between bus door and changing rooms - everything they could dream up to try and prevent the spread of the virus.
Whatever the politics of the situation and the health realities of the procedures, there was a huge effort made to at least look like they deserved to be in Qld.
I wonder if our Super teams will have to go through all that this coming season.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I spoke to an NRL ref recently who outlined their "biosecurity bubble" policies and procedures last season.
They were very intrusive, policed heavily, and gave the Qld government no leeway to say "you weren't protecting the community."
I wonder if our Super teams will have to go through all that this coming season.
I don't like the expression, but sooner or later we have to learn to live with the virus.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
BBL apparently is establishing a group of club players to act as reserves for the whole comp. Sides in trouble can call on players from that group to cover losses if I understand it properly.

Might add some credence to proposals here to do much the same in Super Rugby.

My understanding was they aren't "club cricketers" they are guys from within the current squads that will struggle for a game unless a team is gutted like the stars & heat were.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
My understanding was they aren't "club cricketers" they are guys from within the current squads that will struggle for a game unless a team is gutted like the stars & heat were.

Which is what we’ve been suggesting in here.. using squad members from other teams to backfill teams who lose players to covid

BBL is also playing out of a bubble so it makes it easier for this to be ‘centralised’

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
BBL apparently is establishing a group of club players to act as reserves for the whole comp. Sides in trouble can call on players from that group to cover losses if I understand it properly.

Might add some credence to proposals here to do much the same in Super Rugby.
I think in most cities there are tight forwards who have been there or there abouts who would be happy to have a crack if needed. I’m thinking players like Ed Craig, Tim Metcher, et al, who have trained at Super Rugby level and gone back to clubland. I used those names as examples, as I’m not sure where those guys are playing now, but guys that were close, but for whatever reason didn’t quite make it. But I’m happy to see the third string Reds LHP on the bench for the rebels if that’s what’s needed in a game in Brizzie to get a game happening if that’s what’s needed.

Last edited:

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
It is all very messy isn’t it. I’ll be interested to see what plans they have in place.

I doubt we would see a fully contracted squad member from one franchise turn out for another team though as a fill in. Worst case scenario the third string prop for the Reds gets injured playing for the Rebels, suddenly the Reds are one legitimate squad member down.

There really is no simple answer except to hope for the best, but a pool of pre-selected club players makes more sense as it limits liability for the players the franchises actually want playing for them.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
who pays for the pool of club players to isolate and train for 4 months though? That’s not a cheap idea especially if they can’t work their day jobs, which is a fair chance in accordance with covid protocols.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
The logistics are tough. I’d imagine it’s easier to source semi pro front rowers in Sydney, Canberra and Brisbane. The payment/isolation aspect is beyond my pay scale. To me it seems a worse case scenario deal, where you have a bloke capable of holding his side of the scrum up. Anything more than that would be a bonus.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
RA needs to run the numbers and come up with the cash.

I imagine it’s cheaper to pay a squad of blokes to be available for selection, than lose entire games from the schedule. Either that or extend the squads again by another 10 players and have the teams pay. Maybe a risk reward type thing, pay as many extras as you want, but if you’re left short and forfeit a game you’ll be fined.

If we want all games to be played as per program, realistically it needs to be a group of 10 front rowers, a few halfbacks and some utility forwards and backs, no more than 20 players I imagine, let’s not forget this is worst case scenario stuff and most teams are three deep in positions. Teams will have enough depth in their own squads to move players around who aren’t in ‘key positions’.

Also another thing to consider is the new close contacts rules. I imagine sports teams will be pushing to get added to the list of essential workers, which means close contacts can test negative on a RATs test and return to their jobs without any isolation periods.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
What’s the go with the Force?

Still a hard border up in WA? Couldn’t get the cricket to work , Super Rugby no chance .

Another year on the road for the Force ?