• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby 2022

Super Rugby 2022

• Go Blues

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • Go cantabs

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Go other NZ team.

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Go Force

Votes: 15 16.0%
  • Go Tahs

Votes: 21 22.3%
  • Go Brumbies

Votes: 9 9.6%
  • Go Reds

Votes: 30 31.9%
  • Go Rebs

Votes: 13 13.8%
  • Go new PI teams

Votes: 9 9.6%
  • Go any team that plays the cantabs

Votes: 12 12.8%

• Total voters

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Western Force to play first two rounds away from home.

Brumbies to host Force in first match with home / away fixture being reveresed

Western Force Website

Fourth round with NSW also switched, third round v Reds TBC
Wouldnt it be worth switching the Reds game as well or do they only play once this season?

Last edited:

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Contingency planning underway for the TT component of SRP (Super Rugby Pacific) to be based in Aus:

Given NZ is only in the very early stages of Omicron (daily case numbers around 100, expected to double every 2-4 days & peak mid- to late March) I think this is becoming all but certain to happen.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
I know there is a separate covid related thread, but I can't be bothered trawling the pages for an answer so I'll pose this question here - if NZ is only just in the early stages of Omicron, surely that means there has been ample time for everyone to not only be double vaxxed, but also have received their first booster. If Australia is any indication, those measures have prevented high levels of hospitalisation and deaths.

With that in mind, I'm not proposing they ease all their restrictions, but surely letting the OZ teams fly into the same bubble being setup in Queenstown is a fairly low risk compromise and would at least mean the NZ teams can play in NZ still.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Contingency planning underway for the TT component of SRP (Super Rugby Pacific) to be based in Aus:

Given NZ is only in the very early stages of Omicron (daily case numbers around 100, expected to double every 2-4 days & peak mid- to late March) I think this is becoming all but certain to happen.
Doesn't seem worth bothering with to me.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Doesn't seem worth bothering with to me.
Wondering the same Derpus, I almost sick of watching our teams play in OZ, if it too much trouble I wouldn't care, and same with Rugby Championship. It's getting to far away from a level playing field.
I know why it has been forced on the Rugby boards, and I knnow they will go ahead and do it anyway as they all want and need the money, just hard at this stage to be enthusiastic. Mind you once it all gets going........................who knows.

I will say it a worry when you read Lewis form WA saying how much damage it will do to rugby over there if there not a decent amount of home games. I understand his point, it is hurting the game I think wherever you are just always just getting team on tv and makes it harder to connect.

Last edited:

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Contractual Obligations?
Relevance is the other factor. The no games v TV games in a bubble is more a question of existence v invisibility ( or non-existence). Its finding a workable bubble. Maybe its a split season possibility. 50/50 Oz & NZ played in 2x half seasons.

The "can't connect via TV" and must have home games argument is old school and without much foundation. Fans will take TV over nothing. Teams are still being followed universally even if they play TV exclusive games.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Only trouble is RA would probably be broke by now unfortunately. I really don't think how much of a worry it must be for WA, as Lewis says the honeymoon period about over for Force getting back into super and if they don't get some games over there, it could be pretty rough for them.
He talks of needing 7 games for them to survive.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Anyway we will see Moana Pasifika for the first time this Friday, their preseason is being used as fundraiser for Tonga. Actually on FTA here in NZ. (Prime)

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Only trouble is RA would probably be broke by now unfortunately. I really don't think how much of a worry it must be for WA, as Lewis says the honeymoon period about over for Force getting back into super and if they don't get some games over there, it could be pretty rough for them.
I think his just applying pressure, do you really think that they will fold if they have less home games. People understand covid, and they be more cranky with there premier than rugby.

Reactions: mst

Members Section

John Thornett (49)

The force are not RA owned anymore, the bloke who owns them has more money than every private owner in france & england put together. Money is not their issue its staying relevant in WA. They seemed to draw okay crowds last season with restrictions, certainly more than my team does.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Ok, I still think it's a problem for WA if there no games there, I not sure where you fellas live, but I think some from WA would consider it a problem.
But hopefully not, and I don't mean the public will take it out on the Force , just maybe lose a bit of interest?
I also didn't realise that Twiggy actually owned them, and even if does I would be surprised if he has more money then the owners in France etc. Especially to put into rugby. But if he has all good.
I still think for rugby's sake it would be good to see games over in WA.

Tazzmania

Charlie Fox (21)
The Western Force is owned by Z1Z a business division of the Tattarang Group.

Tattarang is one of Australia’s largest private investment groups and is owned by the Forrest family.

Their investment portfolio spans across agri-food, energy, resources, property, and lifestyle.

The group is made up of six business divisions: Fiveight, Harvest Road, SFM Marine, Squadron Energy, Wyloo Metals and Z1Z.

ZiZ also owns R M Williams

Read more on Z1Z

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Ok, I still think it's a problem for WA if there no games there, I not sure where you fellas live, but I think some from WA would consider it a problem.
But hopefully not, and I don't mean the public will take it out on the Force , just maybe lose a bit of interest?
I also didn't realise that Twiggy actually owned them, and even if does I would be surprised if he has more money then the owners in France etc. Especially to put into rugby. But if he has all good.
I still think for rugby's sake it would be good to see games over in WA.

I would love to see games here in WA, but with our border controls being at odds with the rest of the country the logistics are too difficult at present. The Sheffield Shield and AFL seasons will be similarly affected.

I don't think it's right for us to be asking players to quarantine every time they travel to Perth and I think it's been made pretty clear that the players won't accept it after two years.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Thats a long bow to be drawing.

If RA went it alone it could be far different product and some potential benefits. We know SRAU rates better then the TT. Sponsor issue may be resolved as it would yield more games all in a local domestic market. Travel cost could be reduced and the product moulded to suit SRAU needs. All that could ignite local investment.

Potentially is arguable that there is more of an upside to splitting than not.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Thats a long bow to be drawing.

If RA went it alone it could be far different product and some potential benefits. We know SRAU rates better then the TT. Sponsor issue may be resolved as it would yield more games all in a local domestic market. Travel cost could be reduced and the product moulded to suit SRAU needs. All that could ignite local investment.

Potentially is arguable that there is more of an upside to splitting than not.

Not just potentially. It has actually been argued that way. It's a different thread though, back to Super...

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Hurld now reporting that all NZ-based teams will relocate to Queenstown as early as next week with the 24 derbies split between Invercargill (night games) & Queenstown (day games).

Next weeks pre-season games also expected to be moved but this weeks (Blues v 'canes, Tribe v MP (Moana Pasifika) & Clan v CruSadists) will stay in North Harbour, Hamilton & Oamaru respectively.

Paywalled so no link.

PM Jacinda due to give a speech h tomorrow setting out the plan for NZ reopening. MIQ probably no longer politically tenable so expecting it to be scrapped as early as late Feb. What happens after that probably depends on how Omicron is projected to play out but per previous posts I can't see the Gov being able to keep the borders closed beyond Easter at the latest.