• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby 2022

Super Rugby 2022

• Go Blues

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • Go cantabs

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Go other NZ team.

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Go Force

Votes: 15 16.0%
  • Go Tahs

Votes: 21 22.3%
  • Go Brumbies

Votes: 9 9.6%
  • Go Reds

Votes: 30 31.9%
  • Go Rebs

Votes: 13 13.8%
  • Go new PI teams

Votes: 9 9.6%
  • Go any team that plays the cantabs

Votes: 12 12.8%

• Total voters

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Hurld now reporting that all NZ-based teams will relocate to Queenstown as early as next week with the 24 derbies split between Invercargill (night games) & Queenstown (day games).

Next weeks pre-season games also expected to be moved but this weeks (Blues v 'canes, Tribe v MP (Moana Pasifika) & Clan v CruSadists) will stay in North Harbour, Hamilton & Oamaru respectively.

Paywalled so no link.

PM Jacinda due to give a speech h tomorrow setting out the plan for NZ reopening. MIQ probably no longer politically tenable so expecting it to be scrapped as early as late Feb. What happens after that probably depends on how Omicron is projected to play out but per previous posts I can't see the Gov being able to keep the borders closed beyond Easter at the latest.

I'm hoping the same also applies here in the west and we can get some footy this side of the country!

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I'll be interested to see how viable the Super Round concept is for a competition like SRTT which is playing across multiple time zones.

Looking at the draw, the Chiefs, Moana and Cane's games are kicking off rather late to get decent viewership outside of Australia. And I'm not sure how many Moana v Force fans are going to pop into the Stadium for an 8.30pm kick off local time.

I could be wrong though, but I reckon the concept is much harder to nail than the product which the NRL is offering.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
I'll be interested to see how viable the Super Round concept is for a competition like SRTT which is playing across multiple time zones.

Looking at the draw, the Chiefs, Moana and Cane's games are kicking off rather late to get decent viewership outside of Australia. And I'm not sure how many Moana v Force fans are going to pop into the Stadium for an 8.30pm kick off local time.

I could be wrong though, but I reckon the concept is much harder to nail than the product which the NRL is offering.

Not playing an nz side at 7.30 aus time could fix it, however the old boarder restrictions put a hold on that.

Personally cant wait already got my hotel & tickets booked

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)

Chiefs game will be 8pm on a Friday night in NZ which is a pretty good time slot for ratings.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Oh shit...

"... in July the country is expected to open up to non-citizens from visa-waiver countries – like Australia, the USA, and UK, before the rest of the world joins them in October".

Going by that, latter stages of SRP (Super Rugby Pacific) & at least part of TRC will have to be Australia-based again.

Last edited:

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Oh shit...

"... in July the country is expected to open up to non-citizens from visa-waiver countries – like Australia, the USA, and UK, before the rest of the world joins them in October".

Going by that, latter stages of SRP (Super Rugby Pacific) & at least part of TRC will have to be Australia-based again.

The only chance would be if there was some sort of visa they could work with, but it does look pretty unlikely at this stage:

In April non-citizens with visas – like international students and a wider swath of skilled workers – will be able to skip MIQ.

Not sure if there is still an isolation requirement outside of MIQ at that point (or the July date for that matter), if there is that would probably still be too much of a barrier to teams visiting NZ.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
^ they're still talking in terms of 10 days self-isolation so, yes, too high a barrier I'd think.
Ah, that kills it then. Even if visiting teams were FIFO it'd likely be too much of a burden for the returning New Zealand sides to keep isolating on return when they could experience relative freedom in Australia.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Oh shit...

If it's based in Aus at least we'll go from having a 3% chance of winning a thing to a 4% chance of winning a thing. The essence of sport.

Won't do much for crowd figures, though.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
If it's based in Aus at least we'll go from having a 3% chance of winning a thing to a 4% chance of winning a thing. The essence of sport.

Won't do much for crowd figures, though.
Wouldn't be the worst thing for crowds if they try and pair the teams off and play a bunch of double headers - e.g. Crusaders play all their "home" games at Suncorp before Reds games, Moana and Drua pair off, etc.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Oh shit...

Being reported here that there is a chance both those dates could be brought forward. But probably doesn't matter anyway because the returning KIWIS from later this month will ensure Omicron will get a stranglehold well before any broader opening of the borders can be contemplated.