• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby 2023 Rd 1 - Reds v Hurricanes

Marce

Jim Lenehan (48)
Well, the Reds had 5 out of the 9 tight five forwards out; Hooper, Nasser, Tupou, Jones and Blyth.

Not that having those would have meant wed win, but, it'd also mean our third and fourth stringers weren't thrown against Lomax!
Yeah, that's right and the topic always ends up being the same: The depth and the players going overseas

Marce

Jim Lenehan (48)
Playing in our conditions? I expected so much more, looked to me like the Canes live in heat and humidity. They handled it so well, just glad we did not play them on their track.
Maybe the Reds are good in a cold and windy city like Wellington

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Love the humility guys, don’t ever change
As Cyclo says, just a bit of harmless niggle, and you will get your chance.

Reds also had the disadvantage of being the only Aussie side to play a Kiwi side, but they just didn't look like they wanted to be there.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Anyway fellas as a Canes man I am obviously pretty content, enjoyed that last night. For us I really liking more everytime I see him is young Cam Roigard, he looked bloody good, Aidan Morgan who worried me actually went ok at 10, much better than week before, think it helped having Roigard and Barrett each side of him. I like our front rows very much, and seem to work togather well, I noticed same thing last week, start with Franks, Coles , Numia and then swap to Aumua, Lomax who seem to really work well together along with malifeso, who seems a good solid loosehead to me, also young 19yo Lakai looked ok at 7 when 8 is where has made name . All in all pretty content(we also had about 11 unavailable it seems) and looking forward to having a beer with all my mates next week in Brisbane, won't cop to much ribbing!

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
1 try to 5, and conceding 3 in the last ten mins is pretty damming.

An average team can keep up with the opposition early, but it was clear during the back half of the game that the Reds were on the ropes and got found out for it.

No real silver bullet here. And no use thinking, ‘oh well injuries have hit us, Tupou didn’t play’, because it’s likely he’s not lacing up for the Reds again.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
"reds had to do a few tackles and eventually would break... and that's sort of how it panned out in the end"

Canes coach laying out the hard truth.

Reds are an opposed training session.

dillyboy

Nev Cottrell (35)
No real silver bullet here. And no use thinking, ‘oh well injuries have hit us, Tupou didn’t play’, because it’s likely he’s not lacing up for the Reds again.

This!

Based on what I was last night I'd say we're in for a long season....... :(

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Only just got to watch after a weekend away. What a disastrous start for the season for the Reds. Not the result they needed for the ticket sales and a 2nd game in Townsville.

More so yet another capitulation to a kiwi team. Add to that the terrible discipline and inaccuracies.

Reality is we just don’t have the depth. Too many just not up to standard. Zander just not up to it. Faifua too. Lynagh, Anan, Upfield, Fa’agase really not up to scratch yet.

Perhaps more disappointingly were the guys good enough that didn’t perform to standard. Faessler, Asiata, Uru (horrible), Smith, McDermott (so off the pace), Paisami (I’d drop him).

Wilson and Petaia were the only two up to international standard. Henry, Daugunu, McReight and Flook were good.

I do think Lynagh showed some quality but it’s too early for him. I also think Nonggorr was not bad.

Last edited:

TheGhostWhoWalks

Allen Oxlade (6)
Positives for the Reds
Lynagh, good steady debut. Nice kicks.
McReight, never stops, 1,2 big moments
Wilson, big work rate

Negatives
Tight 5
Fitness
Not sure what game you were watching but Lynagh was terrible. A few comments that I overheard in the stand near where I was sitting were all along the same line, he is only there because of his surname….

LearningCurve

Bill Watson (15)
Agree with your comments Reg, although I thought McReight was good also. Henry I only really noticed when he would kick the ball away, and that tactic wasn't working too well - Canes backs love the open spaces.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Not sure what game you were watching but Lynagh was terrible. A few comments that I overheard in the stand near where I was sitting were all along the same line, he is only there because of his surname….
He's there because the Jocks are injured leaving us two ball playing backs; Lynagh and Creighton.

He could have done better in the tackles, but, truth of the matter is, those line breaks should never have been allowed in the first place.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Only just got to watch after a weekend away. What a disastrous start for the season for the Reds. Not the result they needed for the ticket sales and a 2nd game in Townsville.

More so yet another capitulation to a kiwi team. Add to that the terrible discipline and inaccuracies.

Reality is we just don’t have the depth. Too many just not up to standard. Zander just not up to it. Faifua too. Lynagh, Anan, Upfield, Fa’agase really not up to scratch yet.

Perhaps more disappointingly were the guys good enough that didn’t perform to standard. Faessler, Asiata, Uru (horrible), Smith, McDermott (so off the pace), Paisami (I’d drop him).

Wilson and Petaia were the only two up to international standard. Henry, Daugunu, McReight and Flook were good.

I do think Lynagh showed some quality but it’s too early for him. I also think Nonggorr was not bad.
Only issues I saw from Lynagh were some characteristically poor defending for a 10 and one dropped ball. Otherwise thought he looked composed (although that might just be the usual headless chicken act from the other Reds making him look good).

Last edited:

The Ghost of Raelene

Mark Ella (57)
Terrible? Can’t be serious.

Teenager on debut against a far better side with his pack going backwards and his halfback not having a good game either.

If he was 25 with 40 tests I’d say he had an average game but he’s not. He’ll be better for it.