• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby 2023 Rd 1 - Reds v Hurricanes

dru

Tim Horan (67)
He missed a cover tackle on the Canes 13, that's true, so did McDermott

But previously he bought down a rampaging Ardie Savea front on. His defence will be just fine.

I thought Lynagh had a good game, but look, espn scrum stats has him for 3 tackles and 4 misses. Noting that he was being protected in D (which is appropriate). The effort up front did nothing to help the guy, but he does need to build up more. Playing him is a risk, perhaps one that makes sense. But I'd probably be looking at Creighton next time.

Last edited:

Wilson

David Codey (61)
That was pretty disappointing overall. The weakness up front was understandable and somewhat unavoidable given the injuries (though I still expect more from those props), but the discipline issue really gets to me. I think in part I was hopeful they would be turning it around after listening to Ryan Smith's podcast and him talking about the focus Blake was putting on it in defence but there was no evidence of it in this game. If we can't turn it around I'm not sure any other changes we make will matter.

Qldtragic

Ted Fahey (11)
A few observations / questions - why is a NZ team finishing full of running in NQ when the Reds have had an off season in Qld summer and look out in their feet? Why is it Reds have front rowers on contracts that struggle in Prem rugby yet are expected to scrum against superior props in S Rugby??
There are a few in Prem rugby that are worth watching / considering. But alas we rarely see the Reds hierarchy out at local games these days. Rely too heavily on player managers sending in highlight clips for their recruitment advice.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
At the end of the day yes. He employs them and would have meetings about how the S&C will be structured. Sure, he could be sold a lie, but we are talking about Brad Thorn who even though I'm very critical of his Rugby coaching has been in elite training for the best part of 30 years.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Didn't watch the game but saw that Daugunu got three breakdown turnovers. Such an underappreciated talent of his.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Really surprising fitness is an issue with a Thorne coached side. I am really doubting his coaching ability each year.
I dont get this. Characterising a person's coaching ability by the way they played seems to be proven false consistently across all sports but people still do it constantly.

Qldtragic

Ted Fahey (11)
I dont get this. Characterising a person's coaching ability by the way they played seems to be proven false consistently across all sports but people still do it constantly.
Most people have a strength in a niche.

Take Allan Jones for example was a phenomenal coach but not an exceptional player.

I fear we are sliding down a slippery slope when we use either of 1. Past performance in a different field or 2. Genetic connection as a selection criteria for an existing role.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Jones was not a phenomenal coach. He was the first national coach (apart, maybe, from Dave Brockhoff) who was wealthy enough to make the national coaching position a full time occupation.

As a result he was able to put a lot of time in with the players. AFAIK he never played rugby, but he was a very gifted tennis player.

Up until Jones, the role was very much part-time.

Qldtragic

Ted Fahey (11)
Jones was not a phenomenal coach. He was the first national coach (apart, maybe, from Dave Brockhoff) who was wealthy enough to make the national coaching position a full time occupation.

As a result he was able to put a lot of time in with the players. AFAIK he never played rugby, but he was a very gifted tennis player.

Up until Jones, the role was very much part-time.
Put together a Grand Slam so couldnt have been too much slouch.