• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby 2023 Rd 2: Force v Reds, Sun 5th Mar

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Quite surprised by Lynagh's acceleration when he took off a couple of times this week, looking forward to see what else he adds over the season

His darts are fabulous - 7 runs for 35m. The flip side is he only passed the ball 6 times, which for a fly half bothers me. It only really works with a second playmaker who is pretty sharp. With Petaia seemingly locking down 15, it isn't happening there. Paisami passed 9 times so definitely contributing. Between Paisami and Lynagh - it only matches Hegarty. [Though there were a few kick passes which could be added to the number.]

It was something that bothered me with Stewart at 10. Not enough passing. Enough easily for distributing at 12, not for my likes at 10. Even though flyhalves seem to distribute less frequently in the modern game. A comparison is JOC (James O'Connor) passed 4 times which is about the same passes per 10 min as for Lynagh.

For now, he has demonstrated a will to get stuck in and not be deterred in traffic. Completely comfortable in the professional game and having an impact. It's an awesome start for a fledgling FH. Very interested to see where it takes us. I'm really hopeful that the fly half role can be a centre for play making, it's an area I don't think the Reds have had particular strength prior to JOC (James O'Connor) when in form.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Different versions of that rumour have been running for about 4 years.

Admittedly it is looking a more likely option these days.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Force match Review:

The Force fell valiantly during Round 2 of Super Rugby Pacific, going down to a talented Queensland Reds outfit by 51 points.
It was a tough encounter for the Force as they attempted to get their second win to start the season during Super Round at AAMI Park in Melbourne, unfortunately finishing with a 20-71 score line.

After an inspiring victory during Round 1, the Force were challenged by the Reds straight from kick-off however held firm with an impressive defensive showing.

Some lucky plays saw Queensland take the first two tries of the game, giving the Force a lot of work to do from the outset.

The Force quickly got back into form and cut back into the lead instantly through some fancy footwork from Zach Kibirige that led to their first try of the game.

The men in blue started to claw their way back into the match, forcing penalties resulting in Bryce Hegarty adding another three points, bringing the score within six.

A game highlight was Force debutant Folau Fainga’a scoring his first try in blue, putting the score at 13-22.

At halftime, the Force was trailing by 16 points as both teams entered the sheds, facing some minor issues giving away penalties which made it challenging to get back into the game.

The Force flew into the second half, retaining possession well and putting together phases to challenge the Reds defence.

However, penalties continued to see the Force turnover the ball and back up in their half. The side remained strong as they held back the Reds assault with some impressive tackling.

A costly error from Reds fullback Jordan Petaia saw the Force have a realistic opportunity to score before an intercept that sent Suliasi Vunivalu down the field 80m. However, Force back-rower Tim Anstee displayed his speed and fight, chasing him down before scoring.

After a yellow card and an off-field referral saw Force flanker Ollie Callan upgraded to a red card for a head contact tackle resulting in his side going down to 14 men for the remainder of the match.

Lacking in numbers, the Force continued to attack the Reds line, cutting into the margin and eventually, Palmyra product and WA local Jackson Pugh dove over for his first this year.

Despite the large margin, the Force didn’t bow their heads and kept fighting to the final siren showing class in a challenging encounter in Melbourne.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
chatter around brisbane.
Seriously though - is there any reason to think there is more substance to it than before. This rumour has been going around for years and plenty of people have been happy to repeat it.

When you say it is chatter around Brisbane is there actually a source of any substance?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
No one in the history of the world has ever used the phrase like this lmfao

Incorrect. Someone did just a few posts above yours.

In all honestly, I’ve seen it plenty of times. But appreciate your ability to globalise your own thoughts.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I wonder if Force need better recruiting, I wondered a little with getting Chas Tiatia, a player who tries, but was very much a bench player for the Canes and Chiefs. Perhaps chase a starters etc?

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Letting in an opposition with 70+ points, being a record, it is no minor thing. (Some) Force fans doing a fine job of the Black Knight.