• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby AU 2021 -Rd 4 - Force v Rebels - Fri 12/3

Kevin77

Fred Wood (13)
Shaping up as a big game.
Force on the back of a win and Rebels will be dirty after two late losses.
Probably a bit of needle in this game too given the history.

Can't wait.

Equalizer

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Banana peel game for the Force. Need to start stacking wins, build the momentum and winning culture. The team seems to have a really good chemistry and they aren't sitting around wondering how to get better, they are actively recruiting to try and build this team and squad. It's nice to see the Force have all the resources at their disposal unlike what we had under the previous RA administration. Exciting times ahead for the team with Timani and Olowofela and possibly more to come.

I don't want a close game this Friday. I'd love to see the Force come out and fire on all cylinders and put up a big score. FLW (Fergus Lee-Warner), Anstee and Pulu had good games last week and the front row will only improve as they have more game time.

Grudge game and Force fans would love nothing more than to beat Melbourne on Friday.

Kevin77

Fred Wood (13)
Banana peel game for the Force. Need to start stacking wins, build the momentum and winning culture. The team seems to have a really good chemistry and they aren't sitting around wondering how to get better, they are actively recruiting to try and build this team and squad. It's nice to see the Force have all the resources at their disposal unlike what we had under the previous RA administration. Exciting times ahead for the team with Timani and Olowofela and possibly more to come.

I don't want a close game this Friday. I'd love to see the Force come out and fire on all cylinders and put up a big score. FLW (Fergus Lee-Warner), Anstee and Pulu had good games last week and the front row will only improve as they have more game time.

Grudge game and Force fans would love nothing more than to beat Melbourne on Friday.

Love it and completely agree.
Could be a danger as the Rebels have been surprisingly competitive.
To'omua seems to be playing well for them and they'll be dirty after two really tight losses against good sides.

Could go one of two ways. They're battle hardened and it works in their favour or they've thrown everything at it and are a bit drained.

The Force are definitely on an upward curve so let's hope that's enough along with home advantage to get them over the line.

I really don't think they'll win comfortably but would be nice to win well.

This could be a great game to see a few of the more experienced guys fire. They've had a couple of games so time for Kuridrani, Thrush, Stander etc to really put their stamp on a game alongside the new/young guys like Kearney, Ralston, Pulu, Anstee, Lee-Warner, Timani and Olewofela.

Kevin77

Fred Wood (13)
Predicted Force team;

1. Robertson
2. Kaitu'u
3. Medrano
4. Thrush
5. Lee- Warner
6. Anstee
7. Koteka
8. Stander
9. Cubelli
10. McIntyre
11. Pulu
12. Kahui
13. Kuridrani
14. Ralston
15. Kearney

16. Winchester
17. Wagner
18. Holmes
19. Timani
20. Lezana
21. Prior
22. Miotti
23. Olewofela

chiraag

Larry Dwyer (12)
Predicted Force team;

1. Wagner (his performances have been excellent so far, so deserves a start)
2. Kaitu'u
3. Medrano
4. Thrush
5. Lee- Warner
6. Anstee
7. Koteka
8. Stander
9. Cubelli
10. McIntyre
11. Pulu
12. Taefu (Kuridrani has been underwhelming so far, so time to give Taefu a go - this centre combo should give more creativity)
13. Kahui
14. Ralston
15. Kearney

16. Winchester
17. Robertson (good to have his experience with Holmes to help out young Winchester when he comes on)
18. Holmes
19. Timani
20. Lezana
21. Prior (would be good to give Macdonald a run, but maybe next week after this emotional grudge match)
22. Miotti
23. Olewofela

That team looks pretty good Kevin77, but I'd like to see a few tweaks as above. Also, can Olewofela play centre, or is he purely a winger?

Hardwick to get a yellow or red card, and Force to win by 2 in a classic heart stopper.

Kevin77

Fred Wood (13)
That team looks pretty good Kevin77, but I'd like to see a few tweaks as above. Also, can Olewofela play centre, or is he purely a winger?

Hardwick to get a yellow or red card, and Force to win by 2 in a classic heart stopper.

They're good changes. I'd have no issue with the change at prop and agree with Wagner getting a start and the experience off the bench with Robertson and Holmes chaperoning Winchester. Good thinking.

Olewofela is apparently both a winger and a centre. I have him covering both.

I think I'd like to give Kuridrani another few games and if we can select the same backline for two games in a row to allow them all to click. I think continuity might just give us some good things.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Gotta feel whoever wins this is shaping up for 3rd place.
3rd place? If the Rebels win this they have taken 6 points from the hardest 3 fixtures with 4 home games in a row coming up. They would not be looking at 3rd place with that start, that would set them up for top 2 and at least one home final.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
I guess we'll see, won't we?

Personally, I don't think you'll fare any better against the Reds and Brumbies at home, and you'd need to if you want to clinch second. Or hope that either the Force or Tahs pull off some upsets.

Equalizer

Phil Hardcastle (33)
3rd place? If the Rebels win this they have taken 6 points from the hardest 3 fixtures with 4 home games in a row coming up. They would not be looking at 3rd place with that start, that would set them up for top 2 and at least one home final.
I'm not a fan of bonus points for finishing close. You either win or lose. Taking that into account the Rebels would have 0 from 2 games to go along with their try total. Lets get serious about having a competition that holds teams accountable for their performance. If you're a good enough team you'll win and make the finals.

That said the Rebels may come out and score 10 trys on Friday night and that's fine......as long as we cross for 11.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Must win game for the rebels. The season is close to dead if we don’t.

Haha, that's laughable.

Even if they lose this they have 2 bonus points in the 2 hardest fixtures.

They have 2 fixtures vs the Tahs and would have return fixtures at home against the Force, Reds and Brums.

Even if they only pick up a bonus point this week, given the remaining fixture list they would be poised to be the most likely to gather the required wins of teams remaining games to sneak in.

I suspect both the Force and Rebels will both share a win each this year against each other and both teams will beat the Tahs twice. However for the Force to sneak into the finals, they will have to show they can pick up points against the Reds and Brums. Something the Rebels already have done.

Equalizer

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Force name powerful line-up for Rebels clash

March 10, 2021

Head coach Tim Sampson has named a powerful starting 15 to take on the Melbourne Rebels this Friday in the inaugural Super Rugby AU First Nations Round from 5:45pm at HBF Park as the Western Force search for back-to-back wins.

There are only slight positional shuffles within the squad, with Fergus Lee-Warner moving to the back row at number six and Ryan McCauley set to make his first start for the Force.

Brynard Stander will again lead the side as run-on captain, with halves pairing Tomás Cubelli and Jake McIntyre maintaining their starting places following the win over the NSW Waratahs in Sydney last week.

New signing Sitaleki Timani is set to mark his return to the Force where he began his career, with the Wallabies lock named in the matchday 23.

Promising young Australian hooker Jack Winchester returns to the matchday squad, with Samoan World Cup international centre Henry Taefu and versatile back Jack McGregor also named on the bench and set to make their first Super Rugby appearance of the season.

Sampson noted consistency as a key factor for this week’s team selection.

“It’s important to have continuity. Everyone contributed greatly last week, especially in terms of their composure and calmness on the field,” Sampson explained.

“It was a polished performance from the halves pairing and to have a very similar run-on 15 is great.

“The Rebels are a physical side, so it’s important that everyone sticks to their roles. We’ve got intelligent players throughout the squad with a great balance of youth and experienced players that complement each other.”
158850942_2940126579643933_2757347133980661235_n.jpg

Equalizer

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Everyone's asking where's Anstee. Maybe it was a team balance call. Pulu also unlucky with Brache coming in for him.