• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby AU Grand Final - Reds v Brumbies - Saturday 8th May 2021

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Vunivalu put Melbourne on the path to victory in the NRL grand final last year, needs to be included.

I’d be tempted to put Petaia at 13 to sure up the defence (his decision making in attack at 13 can be questionable but the best defender on the drift Australia has) because Ikitau carved up the Force through that channel last week.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I think the thing that tips it for me Reg is that ASY (Angus Scott-Young) has been calling the lineouts.

I know a lot of people seem to rate the art of lineout calling right up there at the level the medical fraternity rate chiropractors, but coaches seem to feel it’s an important skill.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
Having been unable to watch the Brumbs vs Force, I've got to assume Rob-V didn't disappear and had a big game. But that doesn't override him going missing for periods against the Reds in both those games. Hopefully for Australian Rugby he can keep his work rate high and be consistent for his whole time on the pitch. I suspect at least to start Wilson will get the start and Vali will probably come off the bench (like Uru has done for the Reds) brining that high impact.
I was reading a roar article that included the time between tackles & carries Wilson was at 7.2 & 7.1, McReight was an insane 6.6 min between tackles and a more mortal 9.8 between runs. Rob was 7.8 and 10.3.

This does indicate that concern about Rob-V's work rate in comparison to Wilson & McReight (the yard sticks this year). Obviously I don't think anyone expects him to match McReight's inhuman 6.6 min between tackles, but I think he does need to begin to approach Wilson's numbers.

Workrate is one thing, impact is another. I'll take a slightly lower workrate if you leave people trampled into the ground like a kangaroo hit by a road-train.

You've got absolute rocks in your head, or nothing at all, if he's not the first picked in the backrow this year come test time. He's turned into an axe murderer this year.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
Backrow seems to pick itself for me. 6. Valetini 7. Hooper 8. Wilson

Yup, McReight will overtake Hooper by the RWC though. Found it interesting that McKeller reckons Valetini prefers playing at 8 - that could make thing interesting going forward.

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
I can't see any reason that Wright is benched for ASY (Angus Scott-Young).

I think a few people are forgetting just how good a player Liam is

I would have thought the obvious reason could be that ASY (Angus Scott-Young) has had an absolutely sensational season at 6 in combo with McReight. I haven't forgotten how good Wright is, but ASY (Angus Scott-Young) has gone to another level this year and it would be a deserving selection.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I would have thought the obvious reason could be that ASY (Angus Scott-Young) has had an absolutely sensational season at 6 in combo with McReight. I haven't forgotten how good Wright is, but ASY (Angus Scott-Young) has gone to another level this year and it would be a deserving selection.

More that Wright looked shit in his performances so far. He's a better player with a higher ceiling, but maybe the GF isn't the time to let him play himself into form.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Reported today that Rob Valetini led the carries of all forwards in SRAu21. Not sure if that means number of carries or metres gained, but it flies in the face of false news posts claiming he goes missing in matches (looking at ZeroCool). Incidentally, Rob has signed on for two more years with the Brumbies and RA.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Workrate is one thing, impact is another. I'll take a slightly lower workrate if you leave people trampled into the ground like a kangaroo hit by a road-train.

You've got absolute rocks in your head, or nothing at all, if he's not the first picked in the backrow this year come test time. He's turned into an axe murderer this year.

I wasn't going to weigh in, because it's zero cool......... but Nic Bishop over at the roar did some backrower analysis looking at workrates and impact, and ol' mate might be surprised about the results.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)

Agree that Liam is overall a better player than ASY (Angus Scott-Young). However I think Liam due to injury is a little under prepared for game time. He looked a bit rusty (which was expected) against the Force. I would feel a bit better with ASY (Angus Scott-Young) starting at 6 with Wright and Uru on the bench.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)

If we go off the Force game without any expectations of Wright’s next game, then ASY (Angus Scott-Young) gets the call up based on performance. ASY (Angus Scott-Young) has held his own joining the team for undefeated games. Agree Wright is better when he’s at peak performance, but do you take the risk in the GF.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
Any of you Reds supporters know why Blythe has been out of favour? I thought he was looking the goods last year.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Any of you Reds supporters know why Blythe has been out of favour? I thought he was looking the goods last year.

My guess is on field discipline - he can be a bit loose at times and the Reds have worked hard to get the penalties out of their game. It's arguably the same reason Daugunu was dropped to the bench.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I don’t know why Blyth is out of the team - but i thought he had been doing well and would have liked to see him in there. I assume that is unlikely now though.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Thorn used to say he fancied himself as a young Bakkies.

Maybe he head butted Thorn at training. Just because .... you know..... why not?