• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby Rd 1: Waratahs vs Brumbies Friday, 24th February

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I thought Nawaqanitawase was the one found out on defense more often.
Yeah he was and Jorgensen dipped in a couple of times as well - mostly a numbers issue as the tahs looked slow to react a couple wide of the ruck return the Brumbies changed direction from midfield

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I didn't like Schoupp's attitude tonight. His first Super Rugby game and he was acting like he was Eben Etzebeth or Bakkies Botha.

Come on! Be humble, life is a wheel. Sometimes you're up and sometimes you're down
All front rows are like that he was fired up... You'd have loved it if he was a tah

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Lambert was great, where did he come from. Poor Bell, was genuinely top shelf before he went off. Huge mountain of a kid with such speed, Wallabies really need him.

Berry is a bit of a kill joy, but despite him great game for a neutral. Thought it was similar quality to the NZ one before actually. They dropped the ball so many times in the Kiwi one, I wouldn't beat ourselves up about it.

Don't think there's much love lost between Nawaqanitawase & Wright aha.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Watched the replay after getting home from work and enjoyed it quite a bit. It was a little scrappy at times, but both sides showed plenty of intent and there were a few blokes who looked great first up: Jorgenson, Foketi, Toole, Gleeson, Lonergan, Valetini and Frost to name a few. A real bummer about Bell, because he was dominating around the park at the time he went off. I hope it's not serious.

I thought the Tahs were a bit flat footed in the first half, from about 10 minutes onwards. They were also getting bossed at the breakdown by the Horsies. Gleeson coming on seemed to lift their energy and go forward, with a couple of nice offloads in contact too. Loved seeing the blinding pace out wide from both sides too.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Was their a crowd figure announced? Anyone at the game get a sense of it?
No announcement at the game, dunno why. Place looked about a third full, very few in the top section of the members on the western side, I couldn't see the top deck of the eastern side as I was underneath it.

Marce

John Thornett (49)
Was their a crowd figure announced? Anyone at the game get a sense of it?
20230224-105143.jpg

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
No announcement at the game, dunno why. Place looked about a third full, very few in the top section of the members on the western side, I couldn't see the top deck of the eastern side as I was underneath it.

I had a look up and it looked like a decent number of people up on the upper tier. Couldn't give you an accurate estimate but the side I was on was pretty full.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Ikitau is really something special...

A couple of forgettable kicks in that last 15 mins, but otherwise he just looked to create something with every touch - great running lines, breaking off tackles and the offloads.

Agree about what's been mentioned of Samu - looked invisible which is disappointing.

Valetini continuing off last year - big carries, slowing things down in defence, just generally looking busy.

But I thought Frost was the pick of the forwards for the Brumbies - he really had a great game.

Otherwise I was just happy the Brumbies kept up their clinical play. Unsure about Tua at 12 at this stage, but let's see how he goes in coming weeks.

For the Tahs, I really hope Bell can stay fit this year - Rory Scott will not want to rewatch getting swatted away.

They'll be disappointed by their handling, and I don't think they had the selections right for this week (I don't think they can start with both Hooper and Gamble) but it's only round one and I expect they'll be pretty tough competition this year.

Marce

John Thornett (49)
I had a look up and it looked like a decent number of people up on the upper tier. Couldn't give you an accurate estimate but the side I was on was pretty full.

Overtime

Herbert Moran (7)
I really don't get why people froth about Edmed. Pretty meh tonight for the most part
Yea, Edmed was the one who missed the tackle letting the first Brumby try in. The boy can kick goals and that's about it. Brumbies deserved the win. As for the Tahs, Bell was a standout until he went off, Jed Hollaway had a great game. While he didn't do any great runs his tight play and passing was exceptional. He was well and truly involved in Jorgenson's second try. Australian rugby has to ensure Gleeson stays in Australian rugby. He is a talent. A wallaby backrow of Valentini, Gleeson and Gamble will be close to the best in the world in the next few years I recon.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Ikitau is really something special...

A couple of forgettable kicks in that last 15 mins, but otherwise he just looked to create something with every touch - great running lines, breaking off tackles and the offloads.

Agree about what's been mentioned of Samu - looked invisible which is disappointing.

Valetini continuing off last year - big carries, slowing things down in defence, just generally looking busy.

But I thought Frost was the pick of the forwards for the Brumbies - he really had a great game.

Otherwise I was just happy the Brumbies kept up their clinical play. Unsure about Tua at 12 at this stage, but let's see how he goes in coming weeks.

For the Tahs, I really hope Bell can stay fit this year - Rory Scott will not want to rewatch getting swatted away.

They'll be disappointed by their handling, and I don't think they had the selections right for this week (I don't think they can start with both Hooper and Gamble) but it's only round one and I expect they'll be pretty tough competition this year.

Yeah Len built into the game nicely. One of the first names on the Wallaby team sheet for mine. Bobby V likewise.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Sure, but the way the draw is and all there chat about going all in on the first 4 rounds means the risk is heightened. By the time they're get that match fitness wallaby rest and injury may have taken it out of their hands.
I know what you are saying, but I think the 6:2 split and having all of Hooper, Gamble and Gleeson in the 23 was an indication they were expecting a bit of sluggishness elsewhere, and to make sure the bigger units all got a decent hit out. I suspect we will see some tinkering with the makeup of the pack next week. Jury is out for sure but they held their own pretty well in potentially their toughest home derby as their opener, and losing Bell so early certainly didn’t help.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Ok fellas, was a bit tired to post after this game last night, about 11.15 or something when it finished here in Godzone, (and I an old bugger normally under the sheets at 9.30 :confused: ). But as a complete neutral my thoughts on game were it was pretty good, plenty of entertainment in trying to spread ball and run etc, both teams gave it a good crack, and perhaps the Tahs just faded a little more than the Ponies, who looked to use subs etc well. Good start to the season I thought and look forward to see how rest of weekend goes. I do think most rugby fans should be content after opening night!
Couple of little things
1. Can someone mention to Turunui when he in commentary box that it's a but early to be calling Jorgenson or whatever his name is a superstar, and when the young Brumbies winger scored a try it wasn't really a superstar try?? Don't raise expectations etc appreciate good things without them having to be 'superstar!
2. Really Derpus do we need this gross exaggeration?? ;)
Seemed like 60%.
As official crowd numbers said it was clearly only 59%!:D

HogansHeros

Syd Malcolm (24)
Was good to see Swinton managing to not get sent off! And Max in for 2 on debut!

Shame about the result, and devestated about Bell injured rd 1! He was on fire!

It was great to see so many people out there for the first round, new stadium is pretty nice, was a good atmosphere considering rugby in Australia has no atmosphere.

Was great to see the players doing the rounds with the crowds at the end of the game. Jed came over where we were and gave my 3yr old nephew a mini footy, signed it and got a photo, thats how you get fans for life. He was stoked!