• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby Rd 1: Waratahs vs Brumbies Friday, 24th February

Jean Pierre Rives

Frank Row (1)
Not a big fan of the shite, overly loud and distorted music (if you could call it that) at EVERY breakdown. Completely takes the crowd atmosphere out of play. Fine play it at half time but not every breakdown. It’s a rugby match not a nightclub.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It’s a rugby match not a nightclub.

1677275891993.gif

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Ok fellas, was a bit tired to post after this game last night, about 11.15 or something when it finished here in Godzone, (and I an old bugger normally under the sheets at 9.30 :confused: ). But as a complete neutral my thoughts on game were it was pretty good, plenty of entertainment in trying to spread ball and run etc, both teams gave it a good crack, and perhaps the Tahs just faded a little more than the Ponies, who looked to use subs etc well. Good start to the season I thought and look forward to see how rest of weekend goes. I do think most rugby fans should be content after opening night!
Couple of little things
1. Can someone mention to Turunui when he in commentary box that it's a but early to be calling Jorgenson or whatever his name is a superstar, and when the young Brumbies winger scored a try it wasn't really a superstar try?? Don't raise expectations etc appreciate good things without them having to be 'superstar!

Harrison called Toole “one of the great finishes”. In his first super rugby game …

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
First game of the year. Tahs will obviously be disappointed not to get the chocolates, but I think both teams were decent enough.

Feel very sorry for young Bell. Hope it isn’t too bad.

I get the calls for Schoupp to tone it down and I hope he does going forward - but gee there is something to like about a rookie prop getting his chance and then just serving it up to his opposite. Good on him.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
I thought Gordon was average as a captain and didn't understand he needed to get them together and tell them to 'lift or lose this game' after the first 10 of the second half. Tahs needed to put Holloway to 8 and need another lock urgently, I thought Seu was OK. Frost was the best lock and Neville did little to lift his chances.
With 2 7's playing for tahs I thought Hooper was busy without being effective and Gamble played poorly in the first half, putting him against Samu and not being effective at the breakdown was a poor showing from him.
The Brumbies were better balanced and very slick in their passing and their D was on target, deserved the win. Tahs have massive work ons, but the biggest is - Are they too Big for a Fast competition? Looks like Larkham has learnt many tricks in his time away, Brumbies look better than I have seen them under McKellar.
Agree with most of the comments on the game.

Last edited:

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
first game, and he only played a half, but he never took the line on. Even his moves / switches were played well back. Need to be a triple threat at least for the next level. As you say, he was steady
Looked like he'd be more comfortable at 15. Am I right in thinking Noah played a lot closer to the gain line than he did last year, when he came on?

To be comprehensive, comment on Jack D's game should also note his defence which was first class. Two or three really big hits put the Tahs on the back foot, while he was totally solid at other times.

Last edited:

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Brumbies need to change the colour of the number on the back of their jersey, yellow on a white background just doesn't work.
Tahs much easier to identify then the Tahs since they have a contrasting color scheme.

Screenshot 2023-02-25 at 10.29.39 am.png
Screenshot 2023-02-25 at 10.27.29 am.png

Last edited:

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Did any of you keep a count of how many penalties the tahs gave away in the last 10 mins? Seemed almost non-stop to me.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Brumbies need to change the colour of the number on the back of their jersey, yellow on a white background just doesn't work.
Tahs much easier to identify then the Tahs since they have a contrasting color scheme.

View attachment 15359View attachment 15358
Darker gold and thicker outline would massively improve it. I really hope that when we end up with a proper body to run the comp they're really tight with standards around visible numbers and clash jersey's for teams. We've been having these issues for way too long and it's entirely solvable as long as you don't leave the teams to their own devices.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
It was great to be at the game and see SuperRugby under way again and the crowd was reasonable which was great to see, but I've got to say that was a hard watch in many places. I'd really like to see the average phase count for both teams because I don't think either really racked up many before a handling error or something else stopped the momentum. I have no doubt there will be a few players cringing a bit at their review come Monday with some pretty ordinary efforts in places and the Waratahs will rue the Brumbies sneaking a win from a punt to the corner while they were asleep.

There was just no concerted pressure and the game was glacial at times. AAA was systematic in taking a knee to get another lick of vaseline on his ear while Berry struggled to get the scrum set and going. I'm not sure the AR's did much more than lift their flags as there were times Berry really needed a bit more input. Neither teams defence was ever properly tested with the pace allowing the opposition to quickly form up.

The Bell injury was a real blow to the Waratah's and is a genuine concern moving forward as I believe it's the same foot his injured again. I wish him a speedy recovery because he's a real talent.

On the positive, it was great to see some of the players fit and running around again. A lot of the younger players have really bulked up yet still look pretty mobile which is good. I know some don't hold him in the highest regard, but it was great to see Swinton back after such a long injury period. I thought it was a reasonable first game back. Likewise good to see players like Forketi and Perese running around. Max Jorgensen had a memorable first game and highlighted his potential, but much like with Carter Gordon and some of these younger players who we inject early, you saw his weaknesses and unevenness as he's still learning. It's a real shame that there isn't a level below where they can make their mistakes before SuperRugby.

Having just caught up on the Chief v Crusaders game, I think the Brumbies and Waratahs are well off the pace. That game was fast, the ball movement was fantastic (McKenzie is a delight to watch), the breakdown was fierce and well contested and the patterns to try and break the defense made compelling viewing. Couple this with the solid core basic skills of smart tactical kicking, passing etc.. and it was just a really good game, even with the Crusaders looking well off their best. The silver lining is it's the first round, but these two Aussie teams will need to find the next gear soon.

Last edited: