• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby Rd 1: Waratahs vs Brumbies Friday, 24th February

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
At the time I thought it was strange, Goddward is decent, he could sped the pace up and got to the breakdown quicker.

Brumbies game plan was obvious to disrupt the Tahs breakdown, they went hard at every ruck. In a way good for the Tahs to see they round 1, they know a lot of teams will try to do the same. They need to be more accurate and aware of when to go wide or play quickly.
I didn't realise there was a bench cover for Gordon. So on a 6:2 split, Coleman gave a spot to a halfback who he didn't use, odd to say the least.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
I saw Edmed missing some easy tackles, when he shouldn’t be doing that. The ‘Tahs‘ not getting Perese and Nawaqanitawase involved would have been Edmed’s role as the 10 for the majority of the match?
You need to be highlighting more than Donaldson in your criticism of the game..
I thought Edmed gave one of his weaker performances and you can bet Eddie the Eye didn't miss it. A couple more games like that and he can forget about France...

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I saw Edmed missing some easy tackles, when he shouldn’t be doing that. The ‘Tahs‘ not getting Perese and Nawaqanitawase involved would have been Edmed’s role as the 10 for the majority of the match?
Yeah Edmed missed a pretty simple tackle which lead directly the Brumbies first try.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
I disagree with this judgement and I think you might be letting your admiration of NZ teams get the better of you. The Crusaders were well off the pace against the Chiefs and a significant drop in quality play from last year, as we might expect early in the season. But they missed something like 34 or more tackles. With that sort of effort, either the Tahs or the Brumbies would be good bets to put quite a few points on them in their current form.

In my opinion, there wasn't such a significant lower pace in the Tahs/Brumbies game as in the first game, and both of our sides showed they have a way to go to reach full fitness and top form. We will be competitive in my view.
As you are entitled to, but it's not admiration of NZ teams at play, just an appreciation for good rugby and a reflection of the comparitive reality of the two games.

The NZ game had 265 runs (for 1107 meters), 310 total tackles, 555 passes, 79 kicks from hand. The AU game had 201 runs (for 792 meters), 249 tackles, 307 passes, 36 kicks from hand. The pace and ball in play time was significantly higher with a much higher overall tempo which resulted in increased stress on defense, with breaks, offloads and fatigue all playing a part. There was just so much more 'game' being played. The breakdown was much more contested which is reflected in both teams securing less of their rucks. Looking at just the missed tackles out of context of the overall game is not meaningful and I totally agree, Crusaders were far off their best, though I also feel the Chiefs were playing well and causing some of the errors. Anecdotally (I don't have supporting stats) all the stoppages and officiating of such felt a lot faster than the AU game. Even Coleman (Waratah's coach) after the game commented on the fact that he didn't feel like these aspects of the game had been sped up as anticipated by the law changes, so they were noticing it too. I definitely felt the same at the ground.

I totally agree that we (Brumbies & Waratahs) have the potential to be competitve, but as I commented we need to find that next gear. I have no doubt that both coaching groups are realisitc on where and what they need to improve on.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
As you are entitled to, but it's not admiration of NZ teams at play, just an appreciation for good rugby and a reflection of the comparitive reality of the two games.

The NZ game had 265 runs (for 1107 meters), 310 total tackles, 555 passes, 79 kicks from hand. The AU game had 201 runs (for 792 meters), 249 tackles, 307 passes, 36 kicks from hand. The pace and ball in play time was significantly higher with a much higher overall tempo which resulted in increased stress on defense, with breaks, offloads and fatigue all playing a part. There was just so much more 'game' being played. The breakdown was much more contested which is reflected in both teams securing less of their rucks. Looking at just the missed tackles out of context of the overall game is not meaningful and I totally agree, Crusaders were far off their best, though I also feel the Chiefs were playing well and causing some of the errors. Anecdotally (I don't have supporting stats) all the stoppages and officiating of such felt a lot faster than the AU game. Even Coleman (Waratah's coach) after the game commented on the fact that he didn't feel like these aspects of the game had be sped up as anticipated by the law changes, so they were noticing it too. I definitely felt the same at the ground.

I totally agree that we (Brumbies & Waratahs) have the potential to be competitve, but as I commented we need to find that next gear. I have no doubt that both coaching groups are realisitc on where and what they need to improve on.

For what it's worth, it's what I saw too. Especially the bold text.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I wondered if they were just running out of puff?

For what it's worth, it's what I saw too. Especially the bold text.

It was noted earlier on the game thread that the lineouts and scrum were not actually being enforced to the 30 seconds. Closer to a minute for most. Which is on the officials. They have to enforce the new variations. Watching the MP (Moana Pasifika)/Drua game and there is an emphasis on keeping to those variations. Berry and Co. not so much.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
It's both of their roles, you playmake from fullback as well and yeah Edmed was shit. I don't think either of him or Donaldson are really up to it. I wish Harrison was fit and firing.

That said there wasn't a whole lot of front foot ball so it's not all on them. Donaldson did put in a couple of solid kicks, I'll give him that.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
It's both of their roles, you playmake from fullback as well and yeah Edmed was shit. I don't think either of him or Donaldson are really up to it. I wish Harrison was fit and firing.

That said there wasn't a whole lot of front foot ball so it's not all on them. Donaldson did put in a couple of solid kicks, I'll give him that.
When Harrison is fit, I'd like to see him at 10 and Donaldson at 15 (Or visa versa) they work well as dual playmakers. Edmed Donaldson not so much. Donaldson was wasted at FB last night IMHO

Lightblue

Arch Winning (36)

True in some respects, however the 10 is your main playmaker and I believe Donaldson should be starting there over Edmed. Play Jorgensen in his correct position of fullback. Harrison is a great player too and I look forward to him returning, although not convinced 10 is his best position. Him and Donaldson off contract at the end of the year so I’m sure they will both be looking elsewhere if they are not starting?

dru

Tim Horan (67)
It was noted earlier on the game thread that the lineouts and scrum were not actually being enforced to the 30 seconds. Closer to a minute for most. Which is on the officials. They have to enforce the new variations. Watching the MP (Moana Pasifika) (Moana Pasifika)/Drua game and there is an emphasis on keeping to those variations. Berry and Co. not so much.

Can only agree there. Though interestingly there is plenty of praise for Berry on this thread.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Did any of you keep a count of how many penalties the tahs gave away in the last 10 mins? Seemed almost non-stop to me.
I didn't keep a count but I was fucking angry, effectively ruined any chance of a win. At one stage it was five in a row, the first two when the Tahs carried the pill into a breakdown.

Not good enough, Tahs.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
K

He was pretty sharp there last night. He did well at the back. Watching it live, I thought it suited him.
He played quiet a bit of fullback over his career, so it's not an alien role/position for him. He interchanged alot with Harrison over the years (U20's, NRC etc..) who I always rated as the better flyhalf, but circumstance and injury has really disrupted Harrison's trajectory which is a shame. The next gen will be nipping at their heals soon enough.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
K

He was pretty sharp there last night. He did well at the back. Watching it live, I thought it suited him.
I guess I'm sour because I have in my fantasy team, and he scored 0.3 points. If your not into fantasy rugby, 50+ is outstanding. Less than 1 is really quiet
Apart from his 50-22, that was how I saw it

Running_rugby_1954

Dave Cowper (27)
I guess I'm sour because I have in my fantasy team, and he scored 0.3 points. If your not into fantasy rugby, 50+ is outstanding. Less than 1 is really quiet
Apart from his 50-22, that was how I saw it
Fair enough.

But I think that’s why Eddie jones enjoys watching the games live. Rugby is a game with stats that can’t be analysed. It’s all the little details that make a good player that don’t appear anywhere on the stats sheet that matter.
Eg how often did he get into position to stop attacking kick options.

Alex Ross (28)
Sadly not for me - coeliac options not so good.
1677371622610.png