• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby Rd 1: Waratahs vs Brumbies Friday, 24th February

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
Fair enough.

But I think that’s why Eddie jones enjoys watching the games live. Rugby is a game with stats that can’t be analysed. It’s all the little details that make a good player that don’t appear anywhere on the stats sheet that matter.
Eg how often did he get into position to stop attacking kick options.
Yeah he didn't have a shocker. I just think he's better at 10. He's been capped there. Don't think he gets a look in at 15 for the wobs

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Out of this game, I reckon Eddie would have made note of the following players (that's not to say they would all be selected in the Wallabies right now, but they should be in the picture for the squad) :

Fullback - Tom Wright;
Wing - Jorgenson and Toole;
Centre - Ikitau and Foketi;
No 10 - Lolesio;
No 9 - Lonergan;
No 8 - Gleeson;
No 7 - Hooper;
No 6 - Valetini;
No 5 - Holloway;
No 4 - Frost;
No 3 - no-one today;
No 2 - No-one today;
No 1 - Bell.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Out of this game, I reckon Eddie would have made note of the following players (that's not to say they would all be selected in the Wallabies right now, but they should be in the picture for the squad) :

Fullback - Tom Wright;
Wing - Jorgenson and Toole;
Centre - Ikitau and Foketi;
No 10 - Lolesio;
No 9 - Lonergan;
No 8 - Gleeson;
No 7 - Hooper;
No 6 - Valetini;
No 5 - Holloway;
No 4 - Frost;
No 3 - no-one today;
No 2 - No-one today;
No 1 - Bell.
Generally agree.
Wright still throws in too much low % stuff. Very talented and his good stuff is very good. He'll be in the squad, but...
Valetini is likely to be the 8 (Brumbies' numbering aside) and I wouldn't be tagging Gleeson just yet.
Got a good feeling about Ikitau and Foketi - 2 really good footballers. Both look a class above.
Frost is very good.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Are those the only 2 TH props in the Tahs squad?

A kid that looks way out of his depth and a journeyman. Is Holmes still around? Good in the loose but below-average scrummager. Got his head shoved up his bum week in week out last year.

This scrum is going to get murdered by the kiwi teams. It will be ugly.

Lightblue

Arch Winning (36)
Yeah he didn't have a shocker. I just think he's better at 10. He's been capped there. Don't think he gets a look in at 15 for the wobs
So DC played Gamble out of position and his best 10, capped as you say, out of position. Jorgenson on the wing can be given leeway being young, however his position is 15. Gleeson or Harris should start at 8, Donaldson at 10 and Jorgenson at 15. That’s if you want to win. You do want to win games DC?

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
Are those the only 2 TH props in the Tahs squad?

A kid that looks way out of his depth and a journeyman. Is Holmes still around? Good in the loose but below-average scrummager. Got his head shoved up his bum week in week out last year.

This scrum is going to get murdered by the kiwi teams. It will be ugly.
HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) due back from injury in the next few weeks

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
I know it's been commented on, but I will say I thought Schoup, who had a great debut, did carry on like a knob. Will be interested to see if he's as big a hero against a 30 year old prop with 50 test under is belt, rather than a 22 year old kid still carrying babyfat with half a Super rugby season as experience.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
So DC played Gamble out of position and his best 10, capped as you say, out of position. Jorgenson on the wing can be given leeway being young, however his position is 15. Gleeson or Harris should start at 8, Donaldson at 10 and Jorgenson at 15. That’s if you want to win. You do want to win games DC?

I am not sure Donaldson is our "best 10", I just haven't seen enough quality work from him that has me understanding the hype

I was wondering about the Gamble/Hooper/Swinton decision - the "hope", I think, was that Bell and Swinton would be the "running" forwards who would then be swapped out by Gleeson & Harris

But Bell got wounded and Swinton was ineffectual/easily targeted by himself

The best moment from Jorgenson, for me, was a moment where he was beaten in defence and got up, chased hard to make a tackle in the same phase

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Swinton may need time coming off a long lay off. I never saw him as an offensive weapon anyway. I think he is a defensive intimidator more.

I'd have Gleeson in that position in the Tahs moving forward and I'd have him at 8.

Lightblue

Arch Winning (36)
I am not sure Donaldson is our "best 10", I just haven't seen enough quality work from him that has me understanding the hype

I was wondering about the Gamble/Hooper/Swinton decision - the "hope", I think, was that Bell and Swinton would be the "running" forwards who would then be swapped out by Gleeson & Harris

The best moment from Jorgenson, for me, was a moment where he was beaten in defence and got up, chased hard to make a tackle in the same phase
I just don‘t understand why you play players out of position. Gamble killed them on the side last year but is not an 8 and you have Gleeson and Harris who are on the bench.
Donaldson has not had many games at 10 to show his true ability, although Wallaby selectors did see something based on the few games he did and he played well in the Australia A games. With Edmed you get a ho hum solid player, although he missed quite a few tackles on Friday night that led to tries. He won’t make a break and rarely puts anyone through a gap. He wont lose his spot after one game and Donaldson I suspect will stay out of position at 15.
Jorgensen now will have the pressure of expectation, however I see a great footballer. I noticed the chase after being beaten too. I’m sure that is something Eddie looks at and values highly. He will go far.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)

Swinton never was nor never will be a 'running' forward. Not like Higs or Valentini

He is an enforcer - putting big shots and shifts timber around the breakdowns.

Needed Gleeson to start. Love Gamble but this is not a Poopcock scenario. With Bell injured this will be even more important.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I just don‘t understand why you play players out of position. Gamble killed then on the side last year but is not an 8 and you have Gleeson and Harris who are on the bench.
Donaldson has not had many games at 10 to show his true ability, although Wallaby selectors did see something based on the few games he did and he played well in the Australia A games. With Edmed you get a ho hum solid player, although he missed quite a few tackles on Friday night that led to tries. He won’t make a break and rarely puts anyone through a gap. He wont lose his spot after one game and Donaldson I suspect will stay out of position at 15.
Jorgensen now will have the pressure of expectation, however I see a great footballer. I noticed the chase after being beaten too. I’m sure that is something Eddie looks at and values highly. He will go far.
I don't see a great difference in backrow spots, Gamble plays 8 in the style of Samu/Savea ('ish), it can work

Donaldson is OK, Edmed is Ok - neither excite me,

My bigger concern was the lack of brain cells in the game plan, pass the ball, sure, but not to someone in a worse position ffs

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

Gamble had a good game. I don't think it really mattered that he was playing at number 8. The Tahs have too many good backrow options.

Likewise we have injury issues in the backs. I don't think there was a better option available for selection than having Edmed at 10 and Donaldson at 15. Maybe that changes when Pietsch and Harrison are available for selection.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Swinton never was nor never will be a 'running' forward. Not like Higs or Valentini

He is an enforcer - putting big shots and shifts timber around the breakdowns.

Needed Gleeson to start. Love Gamble but this is not a Poopcock scenario. With Bell injured this will be even more important.
Swinton runs hard and bends the line, but when he is on his own with that role he gets double/triple teamed and blotted out

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
I know it's been commented on, but I will say I thought Schoup, who had a great debut, did carry on like a knob. Will be interested to see if he's as big a hero against a 30 year old prop with 50 test under is belt, rather than a 22 year old kid still carrying babyfat with half a Super rugby season as experience.
Disagree, I think it's good to see a bit of aggression, especially from a loose head prop, they are meant to be the one disrupting the other scrum

We have enough players that seem to be perfectly happy losing, nice to see some passion in him

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
K

He was pretty sharp there last night. He did well at the back. Watching it live, I thought it suited him.

For his first game at the back I thought he did well. Although I am still not a huge fan, he just doesn't seem to be elusive enough or have a great running game to be anything more then a solid super XV fullback.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I guess I'm sour because I have in my fantasy team, and he scored 0.3 points. If your not into fantasy rugby, 50+ is outstanding. Less than 1 is really quiet
Apart from his 50-22, that was how I saw it

Which site do you use for fantasy rugby?