• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby Rd 2: Rebels v Hurricanes

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
Not arguing it was wrong etc, was saying I didn't think he was threatening to kill him is all. As I said I used similar with son etc, and he never thought it was a threat to kill. But if any of you did was when you were threatening to kill someone, that is up to you. I really hoping there not a full hearing with lawyers etc, I would be disappointed if we have to have published what was said, just doesn't help the game.
He fucked up and now has to face his punishment. “The heat of the moment” is a cop out. In life we all do things in the heat of the moment yet still have to face the consequences

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I may be in the minority but, while I think he shouldn’t have done it, i think too much is being made of it. I don’t think it should’ve been a red and don’t think he should get suspended. Won’t be the first person who does something silly in the heat of the moment.

I actually thought the reckless way he threw Gordon to the ground was worse form as it could have resulted in injury.

YEs, I agree, too much is being made of it. An apology was a good response, though not an absolution. The citing is understandable. Why don't we let the judiciary work it through?

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
I may be in the minority but, while I think he shouldn’t have done it, i think too much is being made of it. I don’t think it should’ve been a red and don’t think he should get suspended. Won’t be the first person who does something silly in the heat of the moment.

I actually thought the reckless way he threw Gordon to the ground was worse form as it could have resulted in injury.
It is a clear violation of the rules. Just walk off, if you don’t come down on players trying to escalate a fight once they have been yellowed them you have lost control of the game. The blokes a grub and the actions reflect poorly on his character as a man

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
It is a clear violation of the rules. Just walk off, if you don’t come down on players trying to escalate a fight once they have been yellowed them you have lost control of the game. The blokes a grub and the actions reflect poorly on his character as a man
I’m sorry. I’m not going to start judging the character of Ardie Savea on one incident - even if it was poor on his part.
Maybe my memory is failing me but to my recollection he has always played very hard but very fair. That doesn’t absolve him here and the outcome will be what it will be,’but it doesn’t suddenly make Ardie a thug.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Unfortunately it’s more than just the throat slitting. It was all the carry on around it. He argued the decision and had a little hissy fit as he took his time getting off the field.
I agree. To me the gesture was not the issue. As above the reckless way he grabbed Gordon and threw him out is and issue and then he appeared to want to go on with it with several other players after being sent. Those things I do have an issue with.

It looked like Alex Mafi handled it pretty well.

Last edited:

Running_rugby_1954

Dave Cowper (27)
I’m sorry. I’m not going to start judging the character of Ardie Savea on one incident - even if it was poor on his part.
Maybe my memory is failing me but to my recollection he has always played very hard but very fair. That doesn’t absolve him here and the outcome will be what it will be,’but it doesn’t suddenly make Ardie a thug.
One poor action can change people’s lives forever and with it, reputation.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Yeah - it can. But I don’t personally think what Ardie did is even remotely in that level.

When we talk about player welfare what he did do Carter Gordon was far more reckless and stupid then his hand gesture - and even that I think is a massive overreaction to say we should suddenly consider Ardie a thug.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Look remain calm, do you recall a certain incident in a test last year? In what appeared to be a very serious attempt to cause injury to a another player, who cannot still play al.ost a year later, resulted in a 4 week ban or something? This although not good is not even a 10th as bad, of course the difference is the country of player.

Merrow

Arch Winning (36)
Look remain calm, do you recall a certain incident in a test last year? In what appeared to be a very serious attempt to cause injury to an another player, who cannot still play al.ost a year later, resulted in a 4 week ban or something? This although not good is not even a 10th as bad, of course the difference is the country of player.
It was an accident Dan. Give it up mate

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Look remain calm, do you recall a certain incident in a test last year? In what appeared to be a very serious attempt to cause injury to a another player, who cannot still play al.ost a year later, resulted in a 4 week ban or something? This although not good is not even a 10th as bad, of course the difference is the country of player.
And Darcy's reputation has rightfully been tarnished for his career now. He would be in most fans' top 3 rugby villains. Your false equivalence doesn't work as well as you think

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
And Darcy's reputation has rightfully been tarnished for his career now. He would be in most fans' top 3 rugby villains. Your false equivalence doesn't work as well as you think
Well it does really, but really that's not point etc, just suggesting that some are going over the top a little.

Running_rugby_1954

Dave Cowper (27)
This would be my reply too.

Darcy Swain has rightfully had his reputation damaged as a result. Ardie threatened to kill someone, so I imagine your outcry will be just as passionate.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I would prefer to spend some money on Louis Lynagh, who didnt play for England yet than waste on Ioane
Shame Louis is English, lives in England where his family and friends are and wants to play for England. Then Monty is from Melbourne, with kids and a wife and parents in Melbourne and wants to play in Melbourne.

Apart from that I agree with you.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Anyway back to more important stuff, were Canes poor, or were Rebels better than expected? Thought maybe a combination of both, but leaning towards the credit going Rebels way.