• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby Rd 2: Rebels v Hurricanes

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Brumbies is not a success in term of economics but they consistenly produce good players to feed Super Rugby and test level.

Storm doesnt produce local players but is that a real problem for them? The pool of League players in Australia is HUGE. The largest in worldwide, they can feed many teams in non-traditional states
They are stretching themselves pretty damn thin. Its already effectively a 3-4 horse race.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Re: Ardie Savea…

The gesture was directed towards a halfback, right?

Louwrens, yeah?

I’m guessing that’s why it didn’t fire up the Rebels…

dru

Tim Horan (67)
After plenty of dire warnings, I am pretty impressed with Foote and the whole Rebels team around him.

Fabulous game by the Rebels. I've put markers against these names as possible TOTW contenders:
Fa'amausili
Wilkin
Harwick
Kemeny
Carter Gordon
Hodge
Pincus

Is Ioane eligible?

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
I was surprised to see it become such a big deal. All Blacks have been doing the throat slit gesture during the haka for years and no one's given a shit.

Like come on, we're watching a sport where blokes regularly destroy their bodies for our entertainment, but this is the line in the sand?
It has been an issue for a long time

this from 2005
The throat-slitting gesture at the end of the All Blacks' new haka might not be seen again after a flood of negative reaction in Britain.

All Blacks rugby captain Tana Umaga today staunchly defended the haka but conceded the gesture at the end of Kapa o Pango -- performed last weekend against England -- might be reviewed.

"I suppose so, and that's maybe something we'll have to look at," Umaga said today.

"We didn't really think it would cause as much reaction. We've stated what it means and if people don't understand it, then what can we do?"

The act of running a thumb across the throat, performed to menacing effect by Maori halfback Piri Weepu, has been viewed as signifying the slaughter of opponents.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
After plenty of dire warnings, I am pretty impressed with Foote and the whole Rebels team around him.

Fabulous game by the Rebels. I've put markers against these names as possible TOTW contenders:
Fa'amausili
Wilkin
Harwick
Kemeny
Carter Gordon
Hodge
Pincus

Is Ioane eligible?
Hardwick & Ioane aren’t eligible

Reactions: dru

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
The throat slit gesture in the haka is a coordinated dance move that is a very different thing to picking out an individual and using the throat slit to say I am going to kill you. You cannot compare the two. He was lucky he didn't receive a second yellow for it.
I am genuinely surprised that Ardie said or intended to say he was going to kill Lauren's, I used to use same gesture if in a crowd to get son to shut up-stop drinking etc. Not in anyway defending Ardie , who says it was wrong, just saying if the Rebel's 9 thought he was going to be killed I would be surprised. I had been quite pleased with players saying none of them heard anything etc, so didn't try and add fuel to the fire that Nick McCardle was stoking on Stan at match end.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
oh yeah, lets blame Nick McCardle for that incident. It was a controversial action done by Ardie Savea and it's Nicks job to ask what happened, it would have been remiss of any commentator not to question that incident and give those involved an opportunity to talk it down or explain it.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I am genuinely surprised that Ardie said or intended to say he was going to kill Lauren's, I used to use same gesture if in a crowd to get son to shut up-stop drinking etc. Not in anyway defending Ardie , who says it was wrong, just saying if the Rebel's 9 thought he was going to be killed I would be surprised. I had been quite pleased with players saying none of them heard anything etc, so didn't try and add fuel to the fire that Nick McCardle was stoking on Stan at match end.
On the other hand, the gesture was shown in close up to the audience at home. Ardie knows it was the wrong thing to do, the only question is whether he should be penalised in some way. Maybe he should be fined the equivalent of a week's wages. To the untrained eye it does look like an invitation to some sort of physical punishment.

Last edited:

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
Herald in Sydney says the charge can bring between 4-12 weeks. He’d be at the bottom of that scale. Can’t remember him being suspended previously. He’s planted the seed that he knows what he did was wrong and out of character for him. If charged I see a reduced or suspended sanction for him. I guess it’ll help the Canes with the AB mandated limit on Super Rugby games. And maybe next time don’t go into bat for someone like Coles.
And as an aside, surely Ardie could destroy an opponent within the rules of the game without resorting to “back oval, after school, be there or you’re a cat” behavior.

Last edited:

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
On the other hand, the gesture was shown in close up to the audience at home. Ardie knows it was the wrong thing to do, the only question is whether he should be penalised in some way. Maybe he should be fined the equivalent of a week's wages. To the untrained eye it does look like an invitation to some sort of physical punishment.
Not arguing it was wrong etc, was saying I didn't think he was threatening to kill him is all. As I said I used similar with son etc, and he never thought it was a threat to kill. But if any of you did was when you were threatening to kill someone, that is up to you. I really hoping there not a full hearing with lawyers etc, I would be disappointed if we have to have published what was said, just doesn't help the game.

Last edited:

Proud Pig

Ted Thorn (20)
I don't think anybody was suggesting that Ardie was actually going to try to kill Louwrens. However, regardless what he meant the gesture to mean what matters is what the gesture actually means.
I don't believe that a suspension punishment is necessary, maybe a financial penalty would be suitable.

Running_rugby_1954

Dave Cowper (27)
How was the Hurricanes second try allowed? The obstruction is so obvious and they said it was a read? How can it be a read when he runs into the player!

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I'm not even sure why the gesture is being discussed. It's meaningless, the verbal of "I'm going to kill you" is the issue.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I may be in the minority but, while I think he shouldn’t have done it, i think too much is being made of it. I don’t think it should’ve been a red and don’t think he should get suspended. Won’t be the first person who does something silly in the heat of the moment.

I actually thought the reckless way he threw Gordon to the ground was worse form as it could have resulted in injury.