• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby Rd 2: Rebels v Hurricanes

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Sad that one of the best games I’ve attended in a while was a loss. But great atmosphere. Reminded me of like 2013 helter skelter days.

our forward pack was demolished in the first half. Pone really shored things up. Eloff needs to come back too. Gibbon is too small.

Amazed the Rebels had a chance at all, Hurricanes should’ve put us to the sword. They were making metres at will.

I’m yet to see if he’s anything more than a super player but I thought this was Ili’s best game so far.
Glad you had a good one mate. Thought the Rebels were good value in the end and came home strong.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Had a quick look at the stats, more even than I thought. Attack & Defence largely similar. We actually tackled more for fewer missed tackles. Also broke more tackles for fewer carries (Ili broke 7 tackles for 2 clean breaks).

where we fucked it was turned the ball over 20 times to their 12. Gordon coughed it up 4 times.

Equalizer

Phil Hardcastle (33)
The Canes were down two men which benefited the Rebels. Ardie Savea monsterd them in the first half for 2 trys. Harwick equally as good in the second half. 2 losses for the Rebels and Kevin Foote better keep an eye over his should for Tim Sampson if he doesn't right the Rebel ship soon.

#freeardie

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Sad that one of the best games I’ve attended in a while was a loss. But great atmosphere. Reminded me of like 2013 helter skelter days.

our forward pack was demolished in the first half. Pone really shored things up. Eloff needs to come back too. Gibbon is too small.

Amazed the Rebels had a chance at all, Hurricanes should’ve put us to the sword. They were making metres at will.

I’m yet to see if he’s anything more than a super player but I thought this was Ili’s best game so far.
Gibbon had the better of Lomax, was TH we were losing.

Thought Ili had his best ever game for the Rebels, seemed to have a hand in all the attack in the 2nd half.

Gordon played well, but his kicking was average.

How did the Rebels ever let Monte escape to Italy, guy would be the best player to slip through the cracks and go elsewhere.

Balance of the back row isn't working. Wilkins and Hardwock are both 7s and not big enough to play 8.

Thought our lineout was good, just need to secure the ball faster off the top.

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
Really don’t understand how Talakai has been promoted to first choice TH. He’s a solid player but nothing more, historically he’s been less of an impact on teams than Fa’amasuili or Eloff have. Baffling to keep him first choice. Hopefully Eloff back soon to take his spot.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)

Thought Ili had his best ever game for the Rebels, seemed to have a hand in all the attack in the 2nd half.

How did the Rebels ever let Monte escape to Italy, guy would be the best player to slip through the cracks and go elsewhere.

Balance of the back row isn't working. Wilkins and Hardwock are both 7s and not big enough to play 8.

I thought Stacey Ili looked improved in the game tonight with some nice footwork, hit the seams well and made some meters, though he still has some work to do in defense.

Monte is a cut above.

Hardwick had a little more punch than expected for a bit of a 7.5, but I'd like to see him work on his link play, offloads as he was pretty easy to defend being a little one dimensional a times.

Marce

John Thornett (49)
Wish he would take over tee-kicking duties. Pretty essential if you want to crack the Wallabies. Hodge is shit at it anyway.
Yeah. How good is Gordon kicking to the posts? He can't be worse than Hodge in short distances

Last edited:

Marce

John Thornett (49)
Watched it alongside the Panthers/Broncos game. One was so so and the other one was pulsating. Guess which was which. Could Super Rugby be back?
Me too, mate lol
20230303-112214.jpg

Lightblue

Arch Winning (36)
I see the action for what it was. In the heat of the moment. He apologised. Many on here want to see him suspended and carry on like he carried out a criminal act. Tim Horan and Stan sports carrying on and running polls about this smack of Australia doing anything they can to get one over on NZ rugby. If you think that's the worst thing you've seen today you're living in a very sanitised world.
Didn’t see the game but if Tim Horan is carrying on I wouldn’t worry. The bloke was a great player but as a commentator he’s a dead set goose.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Ardie is a fucking grub shouldn’t have been sent straight to the airport to get the early plane home. Disgraceful actions from a captain.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Solid game of rugby. That last turnover to the Canes was dodgy as hell. But oh well - when playing the Kiwis you have to factor in at least 7-14 points worth of ref bullshit.
Especially when it’s a kiwi ref. Doleman would have jumped on the Canes bus back to the hotel

AFL_Converted

Billy Sheehan (19)

I thought only a couple of kicks were bad (well shocking actually). Most of his kicks hit the grass which is a nice change to the direct into the hands kick we have seen for the last few years

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
So who was it that called him a f#cken crumb who should be red carded and suspended? Of course he didn't mean it, it was in the heat of the game. Take it for what it was, I'm pretty sure he wasn't literally threatening death.
No he is the captain he has been yellow carded for grabbing someone from behind and throwing them to the ground a cowardly act to begin with.

He is then threatening players after he has been sent off and shaping up to fight again. His behaviour was unacceptable he should have been shown red

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Especially when it’s a kiwi ref. Doleman would have jumped on the Canes bus back to the hotel
I was watching one of the touchies banter with Jordie Barrett for ages and it was verging on sickening infatuation. Stop worshiping the man and tell him to get onside.

Last edited:

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
My take was the Rebels let themselves down.

I felt when they were 7-0 up they should have taken the penalty it was easily kickable. Same when they were down 7-17. Same when Ardie was shown yellow.

While I like the intent to score tries we need a more pragmatic approach at times. Ultimately the two penalties that the Canes took were the difference in winning or losing.

Think the Canes showed themselves to be a pack of fucking wankers. 17 with the huge dog shot on top of Ardie acting like a grub.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I was watching one of the touchies banter with Jordie Barrett for ages and it was verging on sickening infatuation. Stop worshiping the man and tell him to get onside.
Haven't had a chance to watch the game yet, but I really enjoyed this clip where Jordie goes to carry on holding his face after being hit high on the chest and eventually just gives up when he looks around and realises no one is paying any attention to him. He's building such a reputation for it I won't be surprised if he ends up coping a penalty/card for diving by the end of the year, hopefully in a key world cup game.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Rugby Australia lost a big chance there. They could have been our Melbourme Storm
The Storm has been bankrolled by Rupert in a big way. Are you seriously suggesting that Rugby Australia could have thrown as much money to the Rebels?