• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby Rnd 1: Brumbies v Force

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Had to head out so only got to watch the start.

Got the replay on now, hats off the the Force. Only 35 minutes in but they have been impressive

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
yeh just finished the relay - great game. Congrats to brumbies for the win but equally to the force who I fully (majority) underestimated. Lots to like from both sides.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
yeh just finished the relay - great game. Congrats to brumbies for the win but equally to the force who I fully (majority) underestimated. Lots to like from both sides.
For mine as cliche as it sounds the Force did the basics right. Took the points on offer to keep in touch and then attacked from there.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
IMO, the best game of the weekend. Some really good performances on both sides, and result could have gone either way.

Some general observations.

1. Brumbies were more competitive at the breakdown than they have been in recent years. Big change in tactics as far as I can see;

2. Brumbies lineout, while not functioning in the first half as good as hoped, was again more competitive on opposition throw.

3. Dan McKellar's intent to play a more physical game showed through.

4. Starting scrum dominated the Force 8, but Force hit back in second half.

5. Force lineout dominant in first half but Brumbies hit back in second half.

6. Both teams will win more than they lose in local derbies.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Close game with a couple tries right at the end - thought it was overall a really good game. I thought the Force played better for large portions of the game and were pretty unlucky not to come away with a win.

Key moments for me were Anstee getting held up, when Fines put Koteka (i think) clean through with an inch perfect pass only for it to be perplexingly called back and Godwin/Force failing to find touch or effectively clear with a minute to go.

The non-forward pass in particular precipitated a big momentum swing. The Brumbies were over for another maul try only a few plays later.

rando thoughts on players:
- Kaitu'u continues to impress. He should again be in competition for the 2 jersey this year. FF (Folau Fainga'a) also reminded us why we were all so surprised to see him in the 2 jersey last year - a forgettable outing.
- all the locks impressed and had key involvements. FLW (Fergus Lee-Warner) assisted a try, Rodda was busy and carried well, Swain made some big plays on the defensive side.
- Samu and Valetini were pretty anonymous.
- Pulu is a very tidy winger. Reliable finisher, always makes meters when carrying and is strong on the defensive side of things. I hope he stays injury free because AFAIK he is Wallaby eligible.
- Stupid sexy Kahui
- I thought Noah all in all was pretty shit. He had a neat touch for the Brumbies first try but that was about it. Dropped the ball cold twice in a row.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Close game with a couple tries right at the end - thought it was overall a really good game. I thought the Force played better for large portions of the game and were pretty unlucky not to come away with a win.

Key moments for me were Anstee getting held up, when Fines put Koteka (i think) clean through with an inch perfect pass only for it to be perplexingly called back and Godwin/Force failing to find touch or effectively clear with a minute to go.

The non-forward pass in particular precipitated a big momentum swing. The Brumbies were over for another maul try only a few plays later.

rando thoughts on players:
- Kaitu'u continues to impress. He should again be in competition for the 2 jersey this year. FF (Folau Fainga'a) also reminded us why we were all so surprised to see him in the 2 jersey last year - a forgettable outing.
- all the locks impressed and had key involvements. FLW (Fergus Lee-Warner) assisted a try, Rodda was busy and carried well, Swain made some big plays on the defensive side.
- Samu and Valetini were pretty anonymous.
- Pulu is a very tidy winger. Reliable finisher, always makes meters when carrying and is strong on the defensive side of things. I hope he stays injury free because AFAIK he is Wallaby eligible.
- Stupid sexy Kahui
- I thought Noah all in all was pretty shit. He had a neat touch for the Brumbies first try but that was about it. Dropped the ball cold twice in a row.
Stupid sexy kahui - not sure what you mean - sounds negative as I thought he made excellent touches including contribution towards one try and try saving ankle tap.

chiraag

Larry Dwyer (12)
Disappointing result, but very promising signs for the force. They looked the better team.
That forward pass call was a travesty and how the brumbies didn't have a yellow card or two in the first half between the Swain late hit, white holding onto the ball on the wrong side of the ruck 2m out from the line, then taking out a player off the ball from an offside position and the white swinging haymaker to the player on the ground was somewhat incredulous.

Force attacked looked so much better than last year. The contrast was night and day really. Even McIntyre looked good. I expected a drubbing at the hands of the brumbies as is normally the case, so bodes well for the season to come.

Good to see Tom Wright back in some form as well. That one handed pick up was crazy good. Throwing the ball at Anstee after his try was a bad look though

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Disappointing result, but very promising signs for the force. They looked the better team.
That forward pass call was a travesty and how the brumbies didn't have a yellow card or two in the first half between the Swain late hit, white holding onto the ball on the wrong side of the ruck 2m out from the line, then taking out a player off the ball from an offside position and the white swinging haymaker to the player on the ground was somewhat incredulous.

Force attacked looked so much better than last year. The contrast was night and day really. Even McIntyre looked good. I expected a drubbing at the hands of the brumbies as is normally the case, so bodes well for the season to come.

Good to see Tom Wright back in some form as well. That one handed pick up was crazy good. Throwing the ball at Anstee after his try was a bad look though
Pretty sure Anstee kneed him in the head

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Stupid sexy kahui - not sure what you mean - sounds negative
b5cabcef79afc837db7647ad9112929f--athletic-men-i-pick.jpg

richard-kahui-of-the-all-blacks-celebrates-after-the-2011-irb-rugby-picture-id130009646

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)

To be fair to White it was a line ball call who was in possession

D-Box

Ron Walden (29)
The worse part about the "forward" pass is that it was probably a score in two phases or not at all type situation. If borderline let it go and then come back and check.

It also came after so much was let go early. For instance in the two Brumbies line outs the first one went straight to one and was nowhere near the channel. When White came around he was running inside the 5 m channel (and then threw it forward). No official blinked an eye

Last edited: