• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby Rnd 1: Reds v Rebels

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I’ll take that win in terrible conditions after a shocker of a pre-season. Handling was dire at times only a portion of which can be put to the weather. Defence was excellent (was at 94% towards the end) but were they really rested? Rebels dominated possession so somewhat. I liked our counter ruck. Worked very well.

Wilson, Tate and Jock the standouts for mine. But very much liked the work of Mafi, Wright and McReight. But no one poor except perhaps Zander. Blyth even looked better than he has for a while.

Oh and I really liked Nonggorr’s cameo for 10. Very involved and very impactful.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
Watching the game live, I'm surprised the Reds moved away from the pick and go especially when the heavens opened up.

It seemed every time the Reds kept it tight they made plenty of metres. Should have stopped the passing game and forced the Rebels to defend the pillar and post channels.

Did they say how busted Liam was? Seemed to be icing a shoulder?

Confucius Say

Arch Winning (36)
Went to the game. Enjoyed it other than the overpriced catering. Takeaway:

1. Hodge is barely a Super Rugby level player. How the heck is he a wallaby? He’s not going to improve from here. Draw a line in the sand (please) and move onto future talent.
2. As above for O’Connor unfortunately
3. Angus Gardner the worst Australian referee because he couldn’t play the game himself so every infringement loves to pedantically put the advantage arm out. FFS is anyone reviewing and coaching him? Not doing the game any favours Angus. Let it go!!
4. Only lightly rained. Condition perfect first half. But whole game was average standard.
5. Tahs should beat Reds next week. Reds couldn’t flog very average Rebels

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Campbell was pretty solid last year too. Given we have one average fullback, he will probably make the Wallabies squad this time round if he keeps it up.

Flooks sidefoot assist was noice.

Last edited:

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I can't see how these sides can take less than 50 points against Saders
You’re probably fishing, but still…

Not sure how you make that assessment from such a small sample size, especially considering back half of the game was played in worst possible conditions for Brisbane weather.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Jock had a blinder and, as Reg said, Nonggorr made the most of his minutes. ASY (Angus Scott-Young) was solid too and it looks like his time in NPC was beneficial. Although not a perfect performance, I thought JOC (James O'Connor) looked to have a bit more confidence about him compared to his Wallabies season. Petaia looked dangerous every time he had the ball - gave me a fright when he seemed to pull up ginger and favour his hamstring a bit in the first half

Marce

Greg Davis (50)
You’re probably fishing, but still…

Not sure how you make that assessment from such a small sample size, especially considering back half of the game was played in worst possible conditions for Brisbane weather.
Cause I watched an average Rebels side and Reds couldn't smash them. And before that, I watched Saders at their average level (very high)

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Interesting listening to the press conference. Thorn gave Campbell a big wrap and a push for higher honours.

Not an unusual thing for a players coach to do at all, but when it’s been broadly reported that the Reds were going to play Petaia at 15 to promote his chances there for the Wallabies it seems pretty significant to me.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Rebels still look a bit gun shy once they get into attacking territory. Not helped by the weather. A bit disjointed, missing some of their better players, and trying to show ambition on a track that didn't warrant it. Will look better in the dry BUT To'omua has to stop playing so deep. He was adding nothing to the attack and it cramps Ili's space.

Reds showed the value of long-term selections through their link play - particularly the back row. They're cohesive and able to work together. The Rebels won't have that unless they keep a consistency in selection.

Not sure who their new coach is, but he's got a mountain to climb.

Everyone saying the Tahs will beat the Reds next week probably doesn't understand how rugby works.

Probably the same kind of numpties think it wasn't very wet at the ground, despite the obvious.

Last edited:

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Keen to see how the Reds backline takes shape when Vunivalu returns.

Jock had his best game I think for some time, not often in the past I felt he was a genuine chance of breaking the line often.

Daugunu’s form seems to have fallen significantly, and I say that in the context that he was by no means bad, but not too long ago he looked like scoring off every touch. Maybe it’s because he seems to have less involvements, possibly a tactic with teams not kicking to him as much in open play.