• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby Rnd 1: Reds v Rebels

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
He was given an RA top up straight off the bat wasn’t he?? Reported as $900k per season, or am I wrong?

Do you not consider that a big price?

Especially when you consider Taniela being reported as seeking $1M per season on his next deal, which I think is a fair price.

Ive heard you’re over by $300,000.
If he can show more of what he showed last year, I’m in.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Ive heard you’re over by $300,000.
If he can show more of what he showed last year, I’m in.
Fair enough - there are a few main articles around which quote both the $900k and a scaled back $600k deal.

I am also in - I can see a big picture of how good he can be and the opportunities he can create for others once he gets going, he will also be the biggest aerial threat in Australian rugby for a long time. But he needs to get on the field.

It’ll be a real shame if he has limited opportunities this year and decides to walk away from the Reds, as I’ve mentioned in the Reds thread I don’t think he gets another top up deal if he only plays half the games this season. And the Dolphins are chasing some strike backs with a decent cheque book.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
Just a comment on Carter Gordon. Like so many other upcoming young players discussed here on GAGR, this guy was the next Wallaby 10 before he had played a game of Super rugby. I don't want to knock the kid, hopefully he will go on to be everything he's wrapped up to be, but he had a tough night at the office last night, it's a hell of a big step up to Super rugby. Let's just give him a chance to adjust before we put too much expectation on his shoulders.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Nonggorr (or any Reds backup tighthead) really have to make their minutes count on the field. It’s a tough gig backing up a player who’s likely going to be the top dog in that position for the next 5 years. Taniela is about to be paid big time by RA so I don’t see his minutes going down.
I thought he did well when he was on for Tupous yellow card, hard to measure from limited minutes but held his own at scrum and did good things around the pitch

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Just a comment on Carter Gordon. Like so many other upcoming young players discussed here on GAGR, this guy was the next Wallaby 10 before he had played a game of Super rugby. I don't want to knock the kid, hopefully he will go on to be everything he's wrapped up to be, but he had a tough night at the office last night, it's a hell of a big step up to Super rugby. Let's just give him a chance to adjust before we put too much expectation on his shoulders.

Never a truer word, Froggy. One State in particular has quite a few posters who routinely talk up their recent schoolboys stars as Wallabies in waiting.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Showed a lot of promise against the Kiwi sides

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
HMM. ACT, Vic, WA and NSW lucky to get a schoolboy in the teams, let alone start to laud them as world beaters.
you're right… 4 of the 5 starting fly-halves for Aussie Super Rugby teams this weekend were schooled in Queensland.

other states(and territory) need to pick up their game

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
you're right… 4 of the 5 starting fly-halves for Aussie Super Rugby teams this weekend were schooled in Queensland.

other states(and territory) need to pick up their game
To be fair they do give scholarships to out of state kids

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I
The season has only just begun :D
Yeh bit crazy on carter Gordon wallaby talk when hardly played many super rugby games. He still has his L plates on but will be better for the experience. The bigger concern is rebels known for inconsistency and patchy team play even when they are laden with talent. Don’t know what It is about the rebels but the only thing consistent about the rebels over the years is there lack of cohesion as a team. Early days so hopefully Foote can turn the ship but reckon he has his work cut out as rebels were definitely the weakest of all the oz sides performance wise this weekend.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I think Carter will be bloody good. I will go as far as to stay it was a bad miss by the Reds not to sign him.

Reactions: dru

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
To be fair they do give scholarships to out of state kids
out of country too
A Courier-Mail investigation has uncovered the state's top private schools recruiting rugby talent from overseas, interstate and regional Queensland on "sports scholarships" involving millions of dollars in waived or drastically-reduced school fees.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Never a truer word, Froggy. One State in particular has quite a few posters who routinely talk up their recent schoolboys stars as Wallabies in waiting.
I will maintain talking him up. I reckon he’s a talent. And I still wouldn’t be surprised if he plays Wallabies this year. But the 10 of the round for me was Pasitoa. Another Qld Schoolboy SUPERSTAR.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Pasitoa was very good for the Force but I maintain Noah Lolesio was the best of the No 10s this weekend. Of course, he's another of those pesky Qlders.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Pasitoa was very good for the Force but I maintain Noah Lolesio was the best of the No 10s this weekend. Of course, he's another of those pesky Qlders.
Nah fuck that. He had tits for hands. You arent the best of anything with sequential knock-ons. He also threw a couple of regulation passes straight at the oncoming players knees.

Last edited:

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
I think all the 10s went well. Good to see some competition for a key position that we've been lacking in the Wobs of late.Pasitoa was the stand out though.

Last edited:

LearningCurve

Bill Watson (15)
out of country too
According to that link, albeit 11 years old, Terrace don't offer rugby scholarships. Clearly that stance changed in the years since, because I have met people whose sons were on scholarships at Terrace to play rugby and were not allowed to play for their clubs.