• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby Rnd 2: Waratahs v Reds AKA The 2022 Festival of Hate.

Tahs vs Reds

• Go Tahs

Votes: 15 32.6%
  • Go Reds

Votes: 22 47.8%
  • I hope it goes badly for both of them

Votes: 8 17.4%
  • Prefer not to say

Votes: 3 6.5%

• Total voters

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Leichhardt got 120mm of rain yesterday, 34 mm today so far. The ground will definitely be "soft", bordering on boggy.

Forecast is for 5-10mm Friday, 20-40mm Saturday and 10-20 mm Sunday. We definitely chose the best day to play.

Renegades Rugby's home at Kellyville Park was fine to train on last night. Good drainage and a couple of hours' sunshine, and we're good.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Renegades Rugby's home at Kellyville Park was fine to train on last night. Good drainage and a couple of hours' sunshine, and we're good.
Leichhardt's much closer to the coast. While Leichhardt had 154 mm in the last two days, Kellyville had 98mm and out here in the southwest Camden had 44 mm.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Leichhardt is impossible to get to and is a dumb place for them to be.
If you leave out the stadium at Parramatta, which is used by multiple codes so it isn't always available, Leichhardt is the least worst option in Sydney. All the other suburban grounds are an abomination or a travel and parking nightmare. The SCG has to be the WORST rugby watching experience imaginable. There are no good alternatives; the Waratahs have chosen the best of the bad.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Does the stadium have to meet certain criteria?

When the Super League war ended the broadcasters and league put together a criteria of what was required if you wanted a team, it was based on ground size, lighting, facilities, ground condition etc.

I have never been to Leichhardt for a live game but it looks pretty dated and below the standards that I would expect for a game in 2022.

Have the Tahs ever used Gosford?

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
I think the Reds should focus on going as well as possible in 2022 and let 2023 be 2023s problem.
I agree but at the same time, LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) isn't a shoe in starting selection for me. If say it was McDermott leaving, he's easily the best option at 9 and you'd play him 80mins if needed until the day his contract officially ends.

LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) no means a bad player, but I don't think he's head and shoulders above the likes of Uru for example. And if the Reds have proved one thing, it's they're able to get big bodied players up to Super Rugby speed quite quickly, Smith and Tualima good examples of this.

If there's a line ball selection, I'm sure Thorn will be wary that LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) has one foot out the door when making his choice.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
I agree but at the same time, LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) isn't a shoe in starting selection for me. If say it was McDermott leaving, he's easily the best option at 9 and you'd play him 80mins if needed until the day his contract officially ends.

LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) no means a bad player, but I don't think he's head and shoulders above the likes of Uru for example. And if the Reds have proved one thing, it's they're able to get big bodied players up to Super Rugby speed quite quickly, Smith and Tualima good examples of this.

If there's a line ball selection, I'm sure Thorn will be wary that LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) has one foot out the door when making his choice.
I agree, I could easily pick a team without him and still be confident we would be just as good with the added bonus that next season our starters would be more experienced.

Crashy

Nev Cottrell (35)
a shame re the rain as we would have pulled a decent crowd going by the number of chums who I knew were going..

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
Does the stadium have to meet certain criteria?

When the Super League war ended the broadcasters and league put together a criteria of what was required if you wanted a team, it was based on ground size, lighting, facilities, ground condition etc.

I have never been to Leichhardt for a live game but it looks pretty dated and below the standards that I would expect for a game in 2022.

Have the Tahs ever used Gosford?
At present I thinks the criteria is beggars can’t be choosers. Tahs sent out a survey last year asking about venues. I think a majority of fans find the SCG substandard for viewing and Parramatta too far. I personally like the SCG as it’s where my dad took me for the big games (league and union) when I was a kid and Parramatta as it’s state of the art. I think Brookie and Leichhardt are the best of the suburban options. Don’t remember Gosford being used, you wonder if they explored that option as they played in Wollongong last year.

Tah Man

Larry Dwyer (12)
a shame re the rain as we would have pulled a decent crowd going by the number of chums who I knew were going..

It's currently pissing down and has been for most of the day. I was locked in to go with a group of 9 mates who have now all pulled the pin due to the weather, they will be lucky to get >5k. Now trying to find a pub that is showing it which is nigh on impossible, disaster.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Is concorde used for rugby still?
It is a building site - it is being redeveloped