• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby Rnd 7: Rebels v Reds

dru

Tim Horan (67)
No way To'omua is the best 10

TOTW at the halfway point nominated To'omua.

JOC (James O'Connor) and To'omua are our current form best 10s. Looking to the best promise I'd actually lean on Harrison, but the guy likely to reach places in the WB squad at the moment would be Lolesio. I don't place Lolesio ahead of either JOC (James O'Connor) or To'omua. Right now.

Both JOC (James O'Connor) and To'omua offer a calm head and steadying hand at the tiller. Which works wherever they stand but best at 10. The top two 10s in Australian rugby currently are JOC (James O'Connor) and To'omua. I would think that To'omua is ahead at the moment.

Yes both can play 12, and depending on how Rennie wants to shape his back line that is a possibility. It's not my preference when we have such good 12s actually playing 12 and with such excellent ceilings in front of them.

Personally I'd make the choice and place To'omua or JOC (James O'Connor) at 10, unfortunately the other becomes injury cover with Lolesio on the bench. But it depends on what goes with the rest of the backline.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Campbell in the past been ordinary to dreadful in the past when played on the wing. But also rethinking that perhaps time to see what he can do on the wing given he has definitely matured and improved this season at fullback. I assume this is about as much given Hegarty game time at fullback as I do see thorn being clever to ensue wider squad gets game time so ensuring squad develops but also players game ready if and when injuries occur. This aspect I really like about thorn and to me why reds so strong as look to develop a strong squad where one could contrast that to tahs under Gibson who did not do this as well which contributed to current tahs woes.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I thought Campbell was excellent in his first year on the wing for the Reds - although I concede I don’t know what his missed tackle stats were.

Last year he certainly struggled. It does make me a bit nervous.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
This aspect I really like about thorn and to me why reds so strong as look to develop a strong squad where one could contrast that to tahs under Gibson who did not do this as well which contributed to current tahs woes.

I imagine Thorn has a lot less to lose, in a sense, than a blow-in like Gibson. Thorn has a great reputation as a footballer in Australia, different code notwithstanding, any decisions he makes come from a position of strength. Gibson was only ever a blow-in, unfortunately.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I imagine Thorn has a lot less to lose, in a sense, than a blow-in like Gibson. Thorn has a great reputation as a footballer in Australia, different code notwithstanding, any decisions he makes come from a position of strength. Gibson was only ever a blow-in, unfortunately.

I think you need to look at how the QRU developed Thorn as well, he was initially recruited as a wider training squad assistant coach, then NRC assistant coach, then NRC head coach before been selected as head coach. He experienced success through those other coaching appointments in developing a young crop of players, I think this gave him runs of the board with the QRU, and importantly the success he experienced was with the core group of U20s players who would inevitably step up to the next level.

It might have been Eddie Jones who said it, but as head coach they need to adjust and learn to speak the language of the players. A young playing group like the Waratahs requires a completely different coaching style to the likes of the Western Force or some of those European clubs.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I think you need to look at how the QRU developed Thorn as well, he was initially recruited as a wider training squad assistant coach, then NRC assistant coach, then NRC head coach before been selected as head coach.

Thorn has a pretty good pedigree, played under one of the best coaches I have seen in my lifetime (Wayne Bennett). One very important aspect of his development by QRU would be that they were willing to see this as a long term project, and his reputation (and their knowledge of him as a man, and a player) meant that it would have been anticipated that he would make the transition to head coach successfully. The psychology of it all was positive.

It might have been Eddie Jones who said it, but as head coach they need to adjust and learn to speak the language of the players. A young playing group like the Waratahs requires a completely different coaching style to the likes of the Western Force or some of those European clubs.

And the coach's boss has to understand and speak the language of the coach, to get the best out of him.

James GC

Larry Dwyer (12)
I thought Campbell was excellent in his first year on the wing for the Reds - although I concede I don’t know what his missed tackle stats were.

Last year he certainly struggled. It does make me a bit nervous.

I think everyones missed tackle stats were pretty poor that year.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
To'omua might not be a great fly half but he’s as good as we have atm. Lolesio and Harrison will surpass his ability at 10, but currently he’s the best game manager in the country also the best kicker out of hand. It’d be interesting to see how he’d look behind the Brums and Reds pack. Also be interesting to see what he’d look like with the threats of Paisami and Petaia or Simone and Ikitau outside of him.

Reckon I've seen him behind a Brumbies scrum with Christian Lealiifano and Stirling Mortlock outside him, and I seem to recall most posters and fans were quite adamant about his lack of ability. Or am I dreaming?

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
I think the issue with To'omua is the lack of creativity. He runs strongly, defends like a beast and kicks well enough, but I have rarely seen him run the kind of plays I'd like to see from a fly-half. I think we've seen enough of him at Test and Super level to make that conclusion. You can't blame the forwards for the Rebels attack not functioning as well as it should.

The Wallabies performed admirably with To'omua at 12 in the first game and a half (when he got injured) against the ABs last year. As soon as To'omua went off we fell apart. If we know he goes well there, why move him?

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
Thorn has a pretty good pedigree, played under one of the best coaches I have seen in my lifetime (Wayne Bennett).
When you add in the Rugby coaches he played under at the Crusaders and the All Blacks. There's some good teachers there for the astute student.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Warm day here in Melbourne. Should be any excuses for ball handling however it’s warm enough to have a heavy fatigue element so benches could be critical. Team that plays the smartest and conserves energy might see this through in the last 20mins

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
25 degrees 40ish percent humidity at kickoff by the looks. Not that will hurt us we just got through months of 30 degrees with high 90s humidity. Mid 20s here today and I am thinking of taking a jumper when we go Southbank this arvo.

As Queenslanders say, it's not the heat, it's the humidity that does the damage.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
25 degrees 40ish percent humidity at kickoff by the looks. Not that will hurt us we just got through months of 30 degrees with high 90s humidity. Mid 20s here today and I am thinking of taking a jumper when we go Southbank this arvo.

As Queenslanders say, it's not the heat, it's the humidity that does the damage.

oh, so scary!

AFL_Converted

Billy Sheehan (19)
The precinct now only has Shyte beers on tap. Does anywhere in Richmond still have fat yak or any of the other yaks available. ( And not the " too many beers" yak please)

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
I know right! It gets to low 20s late this afternoon when we are going to be eating, probably be windy and there will be showers. Not sure the birkenstocks will cut it but I don't have anything else other than my gardening thongs I wear when I mow the lawn. I'll tough it out and have a hot shower when I get home.

PS, we are meeting some friends from out of town who are vegan, any recommendations for decent vegan pub food around South Brisbane?

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I know right! It gets to low 20s late this afternoon when we are going to be eating, probably be windy and there will be showers. Not sure the birkenstocks will cut it but I don't have anything else other than my gardening thongs I wear when I mow the lawn. I'll tough it out and have a hot shower when I get home.

PS, we are meeting some friends from out of town who are vegan, any recommendations for decent vegan pub food around South Brisbane?
Different friends?