• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby Rnd 7: Rebels v Reds

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Mate I hate that mindset we have nothing to fear from the NZs sides. We beat the highlanders away in our only start against a kiwi side last year. While I don’t expect us to start favourites the notion that the games will be over with 15 to go is ridiculous. I would expect us to win at least 2 games against the kiwi sides. The Chiefs, Highlanders and Canes are all just going

My point is there is plenty of time for a 20 yo fly half to develop.

If we loose to the blues 1st game its pushing up hill to reach the final & great if the game is on the line v chiefs with 20 to great get him out there move To'omua to 12 to talk to him & say go on mate have a crack here.

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
My point is there is plenty of time for a 20 yo fly half to develop.

If we loose to the blues 1st game its pushing up hill to reach the final & great if the game is on the line v chiefs with 20 to great get him out there move To'omua to 12 to talk to him & say go on mate have a crack here.
Does not matter if we lose the first game we just need to keep trying to win every game we play. Against the Tahs would have been the perfect opportunity to play him I just feel we should have already of got games into him it’s ridiculous having 2 9s on the bench and not giving him a crack

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Does not matter if we lose the first game we just need to keep trying to win every game we play. Against the Tahs would have been the perfect opportunity to play him I just feel we should have already of got games into him it’s ridiculous having 2 9s on the bench and not giving him a crack

As said previously Lomani is now a winger (just like Fines at the brumbies) & has been all season. Wessels obviously thinks him on a wing is a better option than a bloke who has played half an nrl season in 3 years & a bloke who has never played Super Rugby before.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
I have thought the best / ideal Rebels backline would be something like:
9 Powell, 10 Gordon, 11 Koro, 12 To'omua, 13 Ili, 14 Pincus, 15 Hodge.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
I have thought the best / ideal Rebels backline would be something like:
9 Powell, 10 Gordon, 11 Koro, 12 To'omua, 13 Ili, 14 Pincus, 15 Hodge.

I personally don't believe Carter is ready to lead around a side at Super Rugby level just yet.

But with Marika leaving we will need to do something about our outside backs next year. Who knows if DHP will get another contract, Tom Pincus is 29 & on 1/4 of what he would get in Japan & you would think Lomani would be a target for the Drua if they get a spot in Super Rugby next season

James GC

Larry Dwyer (12)
I personally don't believe Carter is ready to lead around a side at Super Rugby level just yet.

But with Marika leaving we will need to do something about our outside backs next year. Who knows if DHP will get another contract, Tom Pincus is 29 & on 1/4 of what he would get in Japan & you would think Lomani would be a target for the Drua if they get a spot in Super Rugby next season

I didn't realise Marika was leaving surely it is only a 1-2 year stint so he could be back for RWC23? I think Skelton could fill that FB role and I like what I've seen of Pincus so far, if Gordon comes along well and pushes MT back to 12 I think thats pretty good bones to build off right there.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
I didn't realise Marika was leaving surely it is only a 1-2 year stint so he could be back for RWC23? I think Skelton could fill that FB role and I like what I've seen of Pincus so far, if Gordon comes along well and pushes MT back to 12 I think thats pretty good bones to build off right there.

3 years $3m deal with Panasonic.

I’d love Skeleton to play that big 13 Folau/Korevi type

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
I agree that Gordon isn't ready, but To'omua also and equally isn't a flyhalf. Just look at the Rebs when the very average Degan was playing 10 for them in a similar backline and they just looked so much better.
I do worry for the Rebs next year, but they really need to develop their own players, pick some guys up from Club (likely QLD or NSW Club Comps), while not a replacement for Koro wingers shouldn't be too hard to find. I think given what we have seen with the Waratahs that our Super Rugby teams must to the extent possible look to have pathways and systems in place to continually develop their own players -- like the Brumbies have always done, and the Reds have done.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Carter mightn’t be ready, but he might also be. He hasn’t been seen so we dont know.
Noah Lolesio was getting more game time at a younger age, and Pasitoa is at least getting experience off the bench.
Im surprised they haven’t given him game time off the bench at least.

James GC

Larry Dwyer (12)
Carter mightn’t be ready, but he might also be. He hasn’t been seen so we dont know.
Noah Lolesio was getting more game time at a younger age, and Pasitoa is at least getting experience off the bench.
Im surprised they haven’t given him game time off the bench at least.

Why wouldn't you want to find out no downside in knowing one way or the other.

Just dont ruin his development Rebels and hand him back broken.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
I agree that Gordon isn't ready, but To'omua also and equally isn't a flyhalf. Just look at the Rebs when the very average Degan was playing 10 for them in a similar backline and they just looked so much better.
I do worry for the Rebs next year, but they really need to develop their own players, pick some guys up from Club (likely QLD or NSW Club Comps), while not a replacement for Koro wingers shouldn't be too hard to find. I think given what we have seen with the Waratahs that our Super Rugby teams must to the extent possible look to have pathways and systems in place to continually develop their own players -- like the Brumbies have always done, and the Reds have done.

Degan played well for about half a game against the brumbies & then lost his spot over all he was average. We are much better with Matt at 10 even though yes I believe his best position is 12. Mind you call me bias but I dont believe that JOC (James O'Connor) or Noah have been better this season that Matt.

We have just started to develop our own players but they are fwd's. I had an idea that if there is no NRC that we form a partnership with a clubs like Souths Dist. a good club that is stable but outside the golden triangle & isnt as deep in the lower grades that or colts. We could send our kids with promise & good dewar shield players to play in the best competition. It would give their players THAT MISS OUT on an opportunity with the tahs a 2nd chance & a path way for more coaches to develop.

We have a shocking history of getting the best under 20's half in the world & completely ruining them. Nick Phipps didnt go anywhere till he left. Garden-Bachop was horrible. Harrison Goddard is playing in the mlr ffs.

Its not ideal & you are all going to attack me for this but maybe to keep the blokes just below the wallabies squad there is a franchise that captures players that are depth players at other sides money ball style so they dont all run away to Japan or bad sides in europe. ie Joe Powell, Richard Hardwick

But at the end of the day im just an old rugby tragic from the bush with an opinion like everyone else.

ps when is Mac Hansen out of contract;)

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
To'omua might not be a great fly half but he’s as good as we have atm. Lolesio and Harrison will surpass his ability at 10, but currently he’s the best game manager in the country also the best kicker out of hand. It’d be interesting to see how he’d look behind the Brums and Reds pack. Also be interesting to see what he’d look like with the threats of Paisami and Petaia or Simone and Ikitau outside of him.

James GC

Larry Dwyer (12)
Shit early years lol. He was John Eales medalist a couple of years ago

He was awesome in 2019 after spending the first 2 years wondering why he has been penalised again. I think he is awesome and he understands his game now very well but just when he should be hitting his best years in gold he is gone.

dru

Tim Horan (67)

Rubbish.

I don't mind him at 12 but he is easily one of Australia's best 10s. Probably THE best 10.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
No way To'omua is the best 10, he's the best goal kicker, and he's a very good player, genuine world class 12. JOC (James O'Connor) & Lolo are better flyhalves. To'omua isn't as good as putting guys in holes, or organising the backline, he's probably neck and neck with O'Connor got his running game, and is perhaps a little better kicking from hand. His value over replacement for goal kicking just isn't there with O'Connor & Lolo both kicking very well too, if they weren't kicking well then that would be more of a conversation, but with To'omua at 10 the Rebels just don't have any real attack, and that's why Deegan was able to make the Rebels attack look so much better. If the Wallabies want to play like the Rebs and just defend and kick goals then maybe To'omua could be the best option, but To'omua doesn't create anything, Lolo & JOC (James O'Connor) do.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
On field kicking game between JOC (James O'Connor) and To'omua is not even close. It’s JOC (James O'Connor)’s weakest element, something at best he’s average at. To'omua is way ahead of him in this aspect, if it gets to a kicking duel tomorrow To'omua will beat him 9/10. JOC (James O'Connor) also isn’t throwing any game breaking passes aka Quade Cooper. They both look like 12s playing 10 in many ways, one just has heavy artillery in front and outside of him the other doesn’t. I’d almost go as far as saying if Paisami and Ikitau continue their form trajectory this year and it comes to a straight shoot out with To'omua or JOC (James O'Connor) at 10 with the centres occupied To'omua will get the gig, however we can currently accommodate both in the team.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Agree To'omua’s strength is certainly his kicking, easily the best in Australia, and his kicking has kept the Rebels in the game this season.
Without To'omua at 12 they would need to change their entire game plan and not just rely on field possession and penalties.