• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby Round 2: Waratahs v Stormers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
While discussing endlessly whether it should have been a yellow and/or a penalty try and/or a scrum [my opinion yellow, penalty but no PT] there hasn't been much discussion of some of the really good things that got my adrenaline pumping. The early chip kick, Folau's huge aerial after a Foley bomb (but Foley can't kick, right), Kurtleys incredible almost-try, Foley's fabulous sideline conversions and the terrific last few minutes starting with the tight-head win and finishing with Hanigan's try and Foley's conversion.

The rugby highlights reel from that game was pretty good.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I've read the article and still don't understand. How can the judiciary say one trial game is significant but not two? Given that SBW got to count his half-arsed trial in his suspension it seems that there are no rules as to what counts.

You're forgetting: All Blacks.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
(but Foley can't kick, right).

I have bagged Foley up hill and down dale for his pathetic kicking in recent years. I assume that he has (finally) put some serious effort into improving his kicking game. If he can keep this up, we will win a few more games.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
KOB, I
No BR is right, I was talking about staniforth. Despite his back pedalling I do in fact have evidence of br’s high rating of staniforth (not surprisingly when he was a Brumby) over on the ‘wallabies 2016 and beyond’ thread but due to the issues with the forum and my incompetence with Tapatalk I’m unable to link it. But I’m working on it!

I'll save you some effort (hopefully).

Post 768 on Brumbies 2017 thread - "I really like Tom as a lock. His strengths are as a lineout jumper, especially challenging on opposition throws, and a great tackling technique that allows him to hold the ball carrier up to form a maul. He does have good go forward in collision also, but to my eye he doesn't have the speed around the park to be an exceptional No 6. I see his primary role as backup lock to Rory and Sam in the second row."

Post No 8 Brumbies v Highlanders - "Slim, I'd rate Tom Staniforth as our best lineout operator, for his expertise on both our throw and the opposition's throw. Seems to put a lot of pressure on opposition throw and wins a few turn overs."

Post No 5013 Walabies 2016 and Onwards - "Think Staniforth must have been very unlucky. Hasn't Cheika caught up with him playing for the Tahs next year?;)"

Post No 68 NRC Round 1 Rams v Eagles - "BH, I've always thought the weaker part of Staniforth's game is in his ball carrying. Very rarely makes more than a metre or two over the gain line. But he has a huge workload, is fast around the field (witness the number of times he is in position to take a hit-up albeit not with a lot of effectiveness), he is very strong in defense especially one on one, and his lineout skills are very good. He will be a benefit to the Tahs in 2018, but don't expect him to make a tonne of line breaks or huge metres in attack."

Post No 26 Sunwolves 2018 - "Expect Staniforth to partner Simmons in the second row. That could mean one of Hanigan/Dempsey on the bench. No doubt both will still be Wallabies."

Not sure where you might read into that that I think Tom should or would be a Wallaby, except in a sarcastic vein. My thoughts have always been that he is very ineffective carrying the ball.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
While discussing endlessly whether it should have been a yellow and/or a penalty try and/or a scrum [my opinion yellow, penalty but no PT] there hasn't been much discussion of some of the really good things that got my adrenaline pumping. The early chip kick, Folau's huge aerial after a Foley bomb (but Foley can't kick, right), Kurtleys incredible almost-try, Foley's fabulous sideline conversions and the terrific last few minutes starting with the tight-head win and finishing with Hanigan's try and Foley's conversion.

The rugby highlights reel from that game was pretty good.
Folau’s try saver was a massive highlight for me even though it went back to a penalty which, if I remember correctly, they eventually scored from. The strength and awareness to wrap him up from nearly 5m out was brilliant. Reminds me of the Bledislode in his debut year where he slipped his hand under the ball as Julian Savea went to put it down. People say he’s not a complete fullback (granted his kicking skills aren’t the best) but no other fullbacks around the world produce these sorts of freakish plays as routinely as he does.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
It also seemed Foley wasn't defending at hooker off lineouts, was that right?

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
It also seemed Foley wasn't defending at hooker off lineouts, was that right?

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

Tahs had the half in the tram tracks and the hooker at receiver most of the time I think. Hooper rushing up from the back line next to Foley

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
KOB, I

I'll save you some effort (hopefully).

Not sure where you might read into that that I think Tom should or would be a Wallaby, except in a sarcastic vein. My thoughts have always been that he is very ineffective carrying the ball.

Well you did save me some effort with your selective quotes but you missed ones like this (both from the Wallabies 2016 + thread):

I am not unhappy that DM has announced his retirement from the Wallabies, as in my opinion (as a fan) he seemed to be selected on many occasions when better players were ignored. It would not have bothered me at all had he decided to play on for the Tahs, but if the report is correct, you will be getting a more than worthy replacement in Staniforth, who will just be coming into his prime over the next few years.
And this:
There are some "older" players around the Wallabies who I'd like to see replaced on the EOYT. Specifically, Simmons, Mumm, McCalman, maybe Moore. In their places, I'd go with players like Coleman, Arnold, Staniforth and Hanigan in the second row, and Dempsey and Holloway in the back row.
As I said though, it was more of a humorous stab than anything else, whether you rate him or not doesn't matter to me, I just hope he comes up with the goods eventually.

Status
Not open for further replies.