• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby Round 9, 2018 - Rebels vs Jaguares - Saturday 14 April @ AAMI Park

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerry West

Sydney Middleton (9)
Just got home so a few notes on the game.

- Coleman isn’t a captain just yet, he maybe in the future but he seems to have mellowed his aggression with the responsibility which eliminates his edge he had to his game
- Wessels is a good coach but a terrible manager, I’m sure he will get better
- Rebels managed to out dumb the dumbest team in the comp
- Ruru was shit, played a significant role in the loss. He’s a better player than showed tho
- can someone lodge a missing persons report for English????? Hodge dearly missed
- how the Argentine winger wasn’t yellow carded for the tackle in the air is one of the greatest mysteries of the season
- the good.. Hardwick, Parling, Meakes, Mafi

- Set piece best all season until two players left the field in Parling and Talakai. Both were very good last night.
- English a no show because Meakes did not want to pass the ball. Over 12+ carries and rarely tipped to his partner.
- Rebels backs in general were very poor defensively, numerous times missing tackles or defensive misreads. The try when the Jaguars winger scored over 3 Rebels tipified that.
- A lot of pressure back on Jack D, Genia early departure left him with a lot of work to do late. (not much positive involvements by Ruru).
- Discipline, biggest issue. Mafi & Meakes most penalised.

Rugrat

Darby Loudon (17)
Poor collective decision making by players to go for try at the end. That not leadership chaps. Yes hindsight helps but I don’t blame the players their job is to win the game. The coaches job is to take out the emotion and maximise the results for the season. Was the two way broken? TAKE THE KICK!

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Yep, Berry just bottled it completely a more experienced ref would have blown a penalty.

Berry lost all control in the last 5 - 10 minutes. Breakdowns were a mess with players coming in from the side and others playing the ball on the ground. Berry should not be anywhere near a Super rugby game.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Berry lost all control in the last 5 - 10 minutes. Breakdowns were a mess with players coming in from the side and others playing the ball on the ground. Berry should not be anywhere near a Super rugby game.
It seems the problem with inexperienced refs refereeing games where a team from their own nation is playing an overseas team is not that they’re biased but that they’re so worried about appearing biased that they bend over backwards not to make any lineball calls against the overseas team.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Not just inexperienced refs UTGs. I have often noticed that Gardner seems to award numerous early penalties to visiting sides as well. First half penalty counts are often lop-sided when he's in charge.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Richmond v Brisbane Lions at 2 pm had a crowd of about 42 ,000. Yes, it was bad conditions in Melbourne.

Actually only got 32K, and REichmond has 90K members. So when 2rds of the Premiers Football side don't want to go to a game you really can see how bad the conditioners were.

Was freezing, moved upto level 3 to avoid the rain and the wind was horrible.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Not just inexperienced refs UTGs. I have often noticed that Gardner seems to award numerous early penalties to visiting sides as well. First half penalty counts are often lop-sided when he's in charge.

Haven't been too impressed at Gardner at all this year and I know exactly what you're getting at. One big difference is that he'll blow for holding on almost immediately if the overseas side have a man over the ball but even if an Australian player is on the ball for a good few seconds he'll allow the opposition team time to come through and clean the player out.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Just got home so a few notes on the game.

- Coleman isn’t a captain just yet, he maybe in the future but he seems to have mellowed his aggression with the responsibility which eliminates his edge he had to his game
- Wessels is a good coach but a terrible manager, I’m sure he will get better
- Rebels managed to out dumb the dumbest team in the comp
- Ruru was shit, played a significant role in the loss. He’s a better player than showed tho
- can someone lodge a missing persons report for English????? Hodge dearly missed
- how the Argentine winger wasn’t yellow carded for the tackle in the air is one of the greatest mysteries of the season
- the good.. Hardwick, Parling, Meakes, Mafi
I thought meakes was shit per all the reasons other listed....Hardwick also not good as well as missed some key tackles and failed to get over advantage line

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Actually only got 32K, and REichmond has 90K members. So when 2rds of the Premiers Football side don't want to go to a game you really can see how bad the conditioners were.

Was freezing, moved upto level 3 to avoid the rain and the wind was horrible.
Except the same fixture last year only got 28k an improvement and in such bad weather.......

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
It also hailed in certain areas of Melbourne in the lead up to the game. I am lucky i live in Richmond so getting to the stadium is super easy but for others it just wasn't worth the effort, especially those with young children.

Ultimately the real conversation should be around how hopeless the team was. That is what we should be talking about, any criticism around this is more than justified

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
It also hailed in certain areas of Melbourne in the lead up to the game. I am lucky i live in Richmond so getting to the stadium is super easy but for others it just wasn't worth the effort, especially those with young children.

I got lucky and found parking along the river, Oztimmy ended up parking at Flinders Street and walking with his 3 boys. Missed most of the first half.

Rock Lobster

Larry Dwyer (12)
Genia's influence is massive and the Rebels are a different team when he is not out there but the other bloke who makes a huge diffrence is Parling. The set piece is sooo much better with him on the paddock and Wessels will be absolutely kidding himself if he is not a certain starter from here on.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
I think we will see a few changes to the line up over the African adventure. Maddocks i suspect will miss a game (or at least on the bench), Ruru will obviously come in, Colby and Cotterall will get time, maybe even Coleman missing one of the two games.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Yeah that was my take away. Some really stupid penalties killed momentum and let the Jags apply pressure.

Ruru fluffed almost every kick in the last 15 minutes. Too often tried to bite off an extra 10m for touch when he really needed to put it out of play.

Generally speaking the kicking game and tactics were unimpressive. Fair enough for Coleman to spout off about wanting to be the team who chases victory, but they spent the majority of the match kicking reasonable attacking possession straight down the throats of advancing Argie wingers.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
They sure should have taken the draw. It wasn't a difficult kick.

No matter how good your lineout is, I don't think you have a 50% chance of scoring from that 5m lineout which is kind of the odds you need to make it worthwhile going for 4 competition points instead of 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.