• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

SupeRugby Final 2011: Queensland Reds V Canterbury Crusaders

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Well, the Crusaders are experienced at winning titles with 7 to their name.

The Reds have yet to play a Super final, and this might be the loss they have to go through before winning one.

Travel could be an issue with the Crusaders, but their year has been all about travel so it might not affect them as it would other teams.

The 'Saders will try to keep the Reds down their end of the field and using their superior set piece and Carter's boot to strangle the Reds out of the game...

matty_k

Peter Johnson (47)
Staff member
But they have had more Grand Final wins than any other team and the last time you met in the Finals they beat you at home.

All I am trying to say is don't dismiss the Crusaders which a lot of the Reds fans seem to be doing.

R

RuckinGoodStats

What impressed the hell out of me in both semi games is by half time the Reds and Crusaders were ahead, but had stuff all possession, like less than 40% each. That's impressive and that is why they are playing each other on Saturday.

I might drop some team stats (not player stats) for both throughout the week if someone wants to ask a stats question.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Anyone know if Radike is out. I saw him go off but haven't seen anything about it.

Two best sides in the final, both deserve to be there. If the Quade can fix his goal kicking and the line out improves I can't see why the Reds cant win? Yeh the Crusaders are a great side and looked dam impressive last night, but Queensland finished 1 for a reason.

Gonna be a fucking rippa

twenty seven

Tom Lawton (22)
If the Reds stay in touch with the Crusaders to the last 10 mins they will have a chance. Reckon thats when all that travel will put us ahead. Go you good thing!

Reactions: BDA

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Samo hurt his neck but Link seemed to think he'd be fine. I'd like to see Schatz start as he is better in close then bring Samo on when the Saders begin to tire in last 20.

matty_k

Peter Johnson (47)
Staff member
Could you point out the post where the Reds fans are dismissing the Crusaders for me?

You're right. I made an assumption, my apologies. People in this thread are saying it. Surprisingly most from Waratahs folk.

How many current reds were playing in that last finals game against the Crusaders?
And so your saying that a team with no (I think there is none) finals experience is going to have a greater or lesser chance of winning?

I want the Reds to win this don't get me wrong. I just want people to not get ahead of themselves.

MrTimms

Ken Catchpole (46)
Staff member
And so your saying that a team with no (I think there is none) finals experience is going to have a greater or lesser chance of winning?

Radike has won a final with the Brumbies, and Beau was on the bench in the 2008 Final with the Tahs.

Z

Zeno

I see a bit of the old 'Ooh it's the Crusaders!' pants-wetting syndrome here. They made the Stormers look poor, reports say, yet they managed only two tries to one and didn't get over the line in the second half. That tells me they're still bogged in the middle of the field, concentrating on throwing bodies around instead of the ball.

The pants-wetters went back and forth between the Blues and Cru throughout the Super season. Both proved fallible. They're just footy teams. The Reds know that and they'll approach the next game like all the others.

A

allitsab

This match will be a cracker. Like many others, I can't see travel as being a serious factor, the Saders have done so much of it this year. They seem to relish it, in fact.

I hope all the yelling and screaming I'll be doing from the sidelines will help pull the Reds across the line, but it will be tight.

I can't help but think this is going to be a preview of an Aus v NZ world cup final. Many of the key guys will be out on the park, so should be good as a sneak peek into the future.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
When was the last time the Crusaders had an away final?

Link's first I think with the Tahs. One thing you can say about McKenzie is that he learns from his experiences. I think he will plan to play quite differently than he planned for the two Tah teams which lost in the finals.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Link's first I think with the Tahs. One thing you can say about McKenzie is that he learns from his experiences. I think he will plan to play quite differently than he planned for the two Tah teams which lost in the finals.

You sure? I'm sure that was at AMI in Chch.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
When was the last time the Crusaders had an away final?

If memory serves me correct...

2004 against the Brumbies which they lost...
2003 against the Blues which they lost...
2000 against the Brumbies which they won...

matty_k

Peter Johnson (47)
Staff member
I think I have them all.

Crusaders Away Finals

GF 1998 at Eden Park (winners)
SF 1999 at Ballymore (winners)
GF 1999 at Carisbrook (winners)
GF 2000 at Bruce Stadium (winners)
GF 2004 at Bruce Stadium (losers)
SF 2007 at Loftus (losers)
SF 2009 at Loftus (losers)
SF 2010 at Soweto (losers)

In terms of travelling from SA
2001 Sharks travelled to Canberra and lost.
1999 Highlanders travelled from Newlands to home and lost to the Crusaders (who only travelled from Brisbane)

If they get to the GF they win the first one but lose the second time around.

Swarley

Bob Loudon (25)
Attention to those of little faith. Last year, people were saying that the Reds couldn't beat anybody, and yet they beat all the 2010 and 2011 finalists (bar the Sharks, who they didn't play). They beat the Crusaders just a few weeks ago, and whilst I know that this doesn't mean history will repeat itself, the confidence boost that will give the boys coming into the final is unmeasurable. Last year, nobody thought the Wallabies could beat the All Blacks as nobody had ever lifted the Bledisloe Cup. Well, they did it- we're currently reigning champions in AUS vs. NZ clashes. Moreover, who were the halves in that match? Oh yeah, Will Genia and Quade Cooper. They've done it before, they've handled the pressure at both Super Rugby level and Test match level, so there's no reason they can't do it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.