• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

SupeRugby Final 2011: Queensland Reds V Canterbury Crusaders

Status
Not open for further replies.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
This is great for rugby I can't wait both teams have a maybe 1 or 2 starters out but otherwise they are full strength the Reds forwards really need to stand up & we need another massive game from the midfield in defence.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
This is great for rugby I can't wait both teams have a maybe 1 or 2 starters out but otherwise they are full strength the Reds forwards really need to stand up & we need another massive game from the midfield in defence.

Let's hope Ant Fainga'a got all those missed tackles out of the way last night, he really had one of his poorer games. On the other hand I thought Taps was outstanding in defence.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
Yeah agree Tigerland as did Robinson & Samo but I think all these players will be better for the run last night. Other than Ioane all the injury lay off players looked a little ring rusty.

Will be intersting to see if Link sticks with a 5-2 split next week & wether Chambers will hold his spot on the bench if Morahan is passed fit.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Let's hope Harris returns, our only hope of kicking penalties.
Would be a tough call to drop Tapou.

From Twitter
Ewen_McKenzie Ewen McKenzie
just finshed and hour with the press, worked out our media schedule, watching video now with other coaches - no injuries to worry about

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
The Stormers couldn't live with the pace and intensity of the Crusaders and made the mistake of trying to.
The Reds play the game as fast, if not faster, than anyone else in Super Rugby and will play their own game.
The travel will have to have an effect on the Saders late in the game so the Reds will aim to stay with them for the first 60 minutes and then try and pull away in the final quarter.

Defense will be key for the Reds.

C

chriscullen

Anyone know the chances of getting a ticket to the game, will there be public tickets left on Wednesday after the members buy theirs?

Cpt Crow Eater

Chris McKivat (8)
I'd say that discipline is the big factor here.

Dan Carter kicked like a machine against the stormers, booting them from nearly 50m on a few occasions and having no problems.

Sure they scored two tries, but one was an intercept which was a gift....

twenty seven

Tom Lawton (22)
Crusaders played well but thought the Stormers were Ill disciplined and didn't read play well. Think the game will be a ripper. Ewen has kept his hand close to his chest and will have something up his sleeve. Whether the lads have finals experience or not, Link will manage them well. Will be a tightly contested game. Go the Reds.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Three keys for the reds:

1. Coopers kicking must be better. The saders loosies must be punished for any infringements in there own half. We have to come away with points regularly when attacking in the red zone.

2. Similar to the above the reds must be better at controlling and recycling their own ball when deep in attack. Too many times they let the blues off when they should have been attacking their line for long periods.

3. Defense was good vs the blues but the blues attack was poor. Reds will need better line speed to cut down the space around the fringes and the midfield. More aggression in defense - throw everything at them.

Oh and I would much rather Joubert than Kaplan as referee.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
I see a bit of the old 'Ooh it's the Crusaders!' pants-wetting syndrome here. They made the Stormers look poor, reports say, yet they managed only two tries to one and didn't get over the line in the second half. That tells me they're still bogged in the middle of the field, concentrating on throwing bodies around instead of the ball.
Crusaders looked very good, had this been a regular season game I'd have expected 4 tries from them, as it was they took a lot of shots at goal. Carter slotted one from 51 metres and just missed one from 56 metres. Could well be the difference.

Chances of Harris kicking for the Reds next week?

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Anyone know the chances of getting a ticket to the game, will there be public tickets left on Wednesday after the members buy theirs?

Should be a very good chance. 15,000 members, i am Forever Red member and can buy 2 tix, not sure how many other members can buy. If you asssume everyone can get 2 that is a max of around 30,000 tix to members IF they can all go. Also surprised the true believers (members) get til Tuesday to get tickets, with only one week to sell it out i'd only be giving members 2 days before opening it up to the public, especially with Origin fever in Bris this week.

Fatigue might be a bigger issue than i expected. Just finished watching the first half and find it interesting that they could only put on 3 points in the second half after the 2 tries with no possession in the first. If the Reds are there abouts at half time i'll be pretty confident. Not sure a bye is the best thing for 1 & 2 as they both looked a bit off their usual pace at times coming back.

Sandpit Fan

Nev Cottrell (35)
Hope the playing surface holds up alright, 3 big games in 7 days on a freshly laid surface. From memory it was a bit ropey the last time we played the Crusaders?

Reckon we can win, but can't afford any mistakes.

M

Muttonbird

Oh and I would much rather Joubert than Kaplan as referee.

It's Bryce Lawrence.

Right now it seems the Crusaders are able to rise to whatever is put in front of them and I think they have the momentum and must be a very close unit off the field. The Reds, by dint of their conference performance, haven't really had a testing final series to date. The Blues were committed in parts but clueless as a whole.

Reactions: DPK

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
I thought the Saders were very good last night however they were playing an inferior team.

Don't get me wrong the Stormers are a strong side, especially defensively but they have proven numerous times this season that against the better defensive teams they lacked the attack to penetrate. The Reds and the Saders both found the Stormers easy targets in Newlands because the Stormers attack just wasn't able to create any real pressure.

Last night while watching the saders game I recall thinking to myself the Stormers attack had no creativity and their counter attack was tame at best. The Stormers' only strong point in attack is their rolling maul, and when that didn't work they knew they were screwed. when their attack wasn't working they became frustrated and the result was predictable.

I have no doubts in my mind that it is going to be a different story next week. The Reds are infinitely more dangerous on attack/counterattack. The Saders wont find life so easy.

R

RuckinGoodStats

R

RuckinGoodStats

The Stormers couldn't live with the pace and intensity of the Crusaders and made the mistake of trying to.
The Reds play the game as fast, if not faster, than anyone else in Super Rugby and will play their own game.
The travel will have to have an effect on the Saders late in the game so the Reds will aim to stay with them for the first 60 minutes and then try and pull away in the final quarter.

Defense will be key for the Reds.

Reds missed 35 tackles by my count v Blues. The Crusaders had bugger all possession and were ahead at half time then play a territory game in the 2nd half.

R

RuckinGoodStats

I'd say that discipline is the big factor here.

Dan Carter kicked like a machine against the stormers, booting them from nearly 50m on a few occasions and having no problems.

Sure they scored two tries, but one was an intercept which was a gift....

For Carter's boot to be a factor for pens you need to get them awarded. The Reds cough up less than the Crusaders in average.

Status
Not open for further replies.