• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

SupeRugby Final 2011: Queensland Reds V Canterbury Crusaders

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

RuckinGoodStats

Groucho, Ruckin Good Stats' deeper analysis of the Carter v Cruden kicking success this year is quite fascinating, in part as it calibrates to degree of difficulty as well as to absolute success or otherwise. Also interesting is G Henry's obvious focus upon kicking success as a basis for back up selection this RWC year, etc.

See: http://www.theroar.com.au/2011/07/01/arron-cruden-a-better-kicker-than-dan-carter/

Might be getting the call up to do the same type of article but Carter v Steyn v JOC (James O'Connor) v Cooper. Just cruching the numbers this week and hopefully Matt likes it...

R

RuckinGoodStats

Great piece of analysis RGS. If you can, please let us know where to find the analysis you are doing comparing Carter, Steyn, JOC (James O'Connor) and Cooper.

It's coming and it will be only on G&GR, of course its got to be up to G&GR standard. Best part of G&GR is that I can do charts and table and not resticted to text like in other websites...

R

RuckinGoodStats

"I have a database of place kicks from the last ten years from a variety of competitions and professional rugby union kickers... My database provides a map of the field so the element of difficulty such as distance, angle, conditions can be applied."

:thumb RuckinGoodStats, that is kicking awesome!

Any thoughts of putting this on-line?

One of the guys who posts on PR (NZ based and with an IT background) has the excellent webpage pickandgo but he has data on rugby teams, not rugby players.

As you can imagine the database took a bit of time to pull together and run the simulations for kick probability, so unlikely to put it up just for fun. More likely to pick the best bits out and share it from time to time. I do tweet the first kick probability as it being lined up, but more to piss off the bookies as in NZ they offer odds on it.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Yeah, rejig a gelled and performing backline combination, and throw in an unfit bloke in who hasn't kicked all year to take the kicks in the high pressure Super final.. wise move.

But look how it worked for the Blues choosing Munroe over Ranger!!!

G

GC

Kiwis overconfident much?

From the NZ Herald:
The Crusaders will win the Super 15 title and for the best possible reason.

No, it has nothing to do with the tragic earthquake or their desire to embolden a city that is knee-deep in trouble. They'll win because they are the best side in the Super 15 by a country mile.

It will be an injustice if the Crusaders are denied on Saturday night

No point the Reds turning up, Crusaders have already won easily.

slydare

Frank Nicholson (4)
Yeah I read that this morning too with some amusement - is this par for the course over the dutch? No wonder they struggle to deal with losing....

My favourite quote "With a home ground, these Crusaders would have secured a final on it and there isn't a team in this Super 15 who could beat them in Christchurch. "

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Yeah I read that this morning too with some amusement - is this par for the course over the dutch? No wonder they struggle to deal with losing....

My favourite quote "With a home ground, these Crusaders would have secured a final on it and there isn't a team in this Super 15 who could beat them in Christchurch. "

To be fair they (our NZ cousins) haven't had much practice with managing the emotions that come with a loss at either the Test Level or Super Level (if a Saders fan).

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Oh keep that kind of talk coming. It will just make the loss even more crushing if it does happen.

EDIT: Sorry, it's Chris Rattue. Ignore what I said ;)

Rattue is an idiot - I think he's actually hoping the Wallabies win the RWC so that his hatred for Graham Henry and his man-love for Robbie Deans can be somewhat justified.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
It's coming and it will be only on G&GR, of course its got to be up to G&GR standard. Best part of G&GR is that I can do charts and table and not resticted to text like in other websites...
We run a plugin called "WP-Tables Reloaded" that makes tables very easy - just prepare your data in Excel, save as .csv and you can upload it - system will present the data like this: http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/preview-tahs-vs-blues-and-then-there-were/

It's sortable (click headers) and dynamically searchable (top right box), and if you've got many rows of data you can tell it to be paginated, say 10 rows on the first page and have people click next to see more. (example:

Of course you can also embed images, screenshots of Excel charts work particularly well (example here: http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/analysis-rocky’s-blindside-replacement-by-the-stats/)

And, if you're up for it, you can type HTML directly into a blog post.

rsea

Darby Loudon (17)
This is a big ask but ticketek isn't letting me use my myrugby id to buy tickets
Any good samaritan willing to let me use theirs for 2 x tickets? PM is probably best

Cheers

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
This is a big ask but ticketek isn't letting me use my myrugby id to buy tickets
Any good samaritan willing to let me use theirs for 2 x tickets? PM is probably best...Cheers

rsea - assume you know that, if you are buying Finals tickets in the Reds' Members period currently open, it's not the Rugby ID you need to buy Finals tickets on Ticketek, but the unique 6 digit number just to the upper left hand corner of your Member's card's bar code and just above the upper edge of the bar code. The Rugby ID won't work this week.

R

Rev Spooner

After watching both games on the weekend, what was most evident was the Crusaders' scrum and defence were clearly superior. That's not discounting the fact that the reds can improve in those areas. The Reds defence lacked punch on Saturday and they missed a lot of tackles. Their scrum was poor and they struggled to get the ball away cleanly. Their lineout was average although they still managed to score a try from one. Throughout the season our lineout has been strong, our defence superb and our scrum has oscillated from poor to good (depending on the opposition). I think our defence and lineout will improve enormously in the GF but what worries me most is our scrum. We can survive as we did last time against the Crusaders (and against NSW) but it makes for a hard slog.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
The main hurdle for the Crusaders will be their dreadful away strip. You can't have the premiers wearing that grey and red tripe. It should be outlawed in the Super 15 rules. If they can overcome the embarrassment, I fear the Reds won't be able to stop them particularly in the centres.

This might be contentions but I think the Crusaders were flattered by a fairly dismal Stormers effort on the weekend. They have a great lineup on paper but have often misfired this season. The Reds, by contrast, are more than the sum of their parts - a team. I don't see any reason why they can't win this.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
rsea - assume you know that, if you are buying Finals tickets in the Reds' Members period currently open, it's not the Rugby ID you need to buy Finals tickets on Ticketek, but the unique 6 digit number just to the upper left hand corner of your Member's card's bar code and just above the upper edge of the bar code. The Rugby ID won't work this week.

So what happens if you have lost your membership card and only have your Rugby ID number? :(

twenty seven

Tom Lawton (22)
Stats or no stats....Link will get Quades head in the right space for Saturday night. Wonder if changing boots has got much to do with it! Those laces were bright!

Scotty

David Codey (61)

Just read the details. Forever Red and 3 gamers are to use their MyRugby ID. Full members their card numbers.

http://www.redsrugby.com.au/MembershipHospitality/HomeFinalMembers.aspx

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
So what happens if you have lost your membership card and only have your Rugby ID number? :(

QRU Membership have indicated that, in this eventuality, they will issue you a new plastic Members' card (which you need to enter the gate this Saturday, Ticketek enables the cards that have acquired Finals' tickets this way), and on that will be your unique bar code number per individual Member. I bought my Members tickets this way yesterday on Ticketek (using the Member bar code number not the MyRugbyID), no problems at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.