• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Colts - 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Dave Beat, Parramatta developed a junior through their program who went on to Australian schools level and when he wanted to continue playing rugby he was told he had to play for Randwick or no deal. He's still with Parramatta, THE EELS. Thanks Check.

No one wants to deny a club the opportunity to rebuild and develop but you have to keep the vultures away.

No9 I new I'd read that previously somewhere, and had referenced that in the 2014 NRC thread as to a reason a Randwick shouldn't stand alone. I couldn't recall what club.

By watching home and away grade my knowledge of colts is purely listening, and reading, but I do look to learn as much as I can.

Not doubting what you say, if accurate not good.

Great news with the sponsors well done.

Tah and feathered

Watty Friend (18)
I saw the email from cheika about nominating players but the nominations put forward were ignored except got Cameron Orr and Albert Hemopa who both played Aust A schools
All others were a no and Souths colts were beaten by Uni in the game too see made the GF so Souths had some good players
These good players are now saying should they leave Souths and go to Uni or Randwick to get a chance
They didn't go too GPS schools and 2 played CCC and who gets picked for anything from there?
So now they are saying that to be seen they need to go elsewhere
Now players who have never played Colts getting starts
Where is the opportunity for the player who slips between the cracks?
Has anyone seen or heard from Tim Kellaher the chief scout?
Why not have a couple of possibles v probables something like that

The Butts

Herbert Moran (7)
Reading some of these comments helped me understand why Australian Rugby is in such a pot hole. If nepotism is so rampant might as well just have a couple of teams in the colts firsts, and the rest of the players can have fun in the colts seconds and thirds.

Blackers13

Syd Malcolm (24)
I saw the email from cheika about nominating players but the nominations put forward were ignored except got Cameron Orr and Albert Hemopa who both played Aust A schools
All others were a no and Souths colts were beaten by Uni in the game too see made the GF so Souths had some good players
These good players are now saying should they leave Souths and go to Uni or Randwick to get a chance
They didn't go too GPS schools and 2 played CCC and who gets picked for anything from there?
So now they are saying that to be seen they need to go elsewhere
Now players who have never played Colts getting starts
Where is the opportunity for the player who slips between the cracks?
Has anyone seen or heard from Tim Kellaher the chief scout?
Why not have a couple of possibles v probables something like that
We're in exactly the same boat, our 4 got a good run through the training and trials and aquitted themselves well but all got cut. At the end of the day NSW went through the motions and picked the side they wanted anyway.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
One of your kids in particular should consider himself unlucky.
It appeared to me that he got the rough end of the pineapple in terms of opportunity,and did better than some of his more favoured peers to no avail.
I wonder what the kids themselves think about it?
Knowing what they know now,would they do it again?

Blackers13

Syd Malcolm (24)
One of your kids in particular should consider himself unlucky.
It appeared to me that he got the rough end of the pineapple in terms of opportunity,and did better than some of his more favoured peers to no avail.
I wonder what the kids themselves think about it?
Knowing what they know now,would they do it again?
None of them are bitter and are genuinely thankful for the opportunity. They learnt a lot and have brought a higher intensity to training and preparation. They are determined to show the selectors they got it wrong through a big year in Colts.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
^^ The best course of action to take. Noli nothis permittere te terere.

There is nothing more satisfying on the rugby field than to show up the fancy pants rep players/team.

The Selectors may have their eyes averted at the precise moment you make the bone crunching tackle on the more favoured opponent. but you know and they know, and that counts for a lot. They can take a lot away from you, but personal satisfaction is yours and yours alone.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
Sydney Colts Season 2013 is all over bar the shouting.

Time to start the Season 2014 wang.

Any movements in the Coaching ranks?

What Clubs are the 2013 Year 12 graduates going to?

Will the Mighty Two Blues momentum from 2013 carry through to 2014?

Will Gordon stop the rot and have the numbers to register 3 Colts teams?

Pre-Season training will start soon in many clubs after a short break.

answer I heard for Gordon is no. Late pull out and pissing everyone off at that level.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
That is a shame about the Gay Gordons. I had heard some positive notes from a couple of snouts.

Said it before, and I'll say it again - We need to hate Gordon, not pity them.

Have they got at least two teams? That would be a positive sign.

couldabeen

Alfred Walker (16)
I don't get it with Gordon Colts. They have Barker, Knox, St Pius, SHORE, Asquith BHS, Normanhurst BHS (any others?) all on the rail line and in the catchment area. Something must be wrong.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
There are some who would say that much of the current malaise at Gordon is entirely of their own making. Something to do with creating superstar junior village club teams that just encouraged the "average" kids to give it away, and the struggling club teams to fold when they lost their one good kid. Unfortunately their rockstars had a habit of disappearing into the Schools machine at U15/U16 only to be enticed to clubs other then Gordon after High School graduation. Superstar teams is not entirely a unique Gordon phenomena.

Like the ARU, many of those behind the current problems at Gordon are no longer there, but there is a bit of a mess left behind for the new team to clean up before progress can be made.

couldabeen

Alfred Walker (16)
There are some who would say that much of the current malaise at Gordon is entirely of their own making. Something to do with creating superstar junior village club teams that just encouraged the "average" kids to give it away, and the struggling club teams to fold when they lost their one good kid. Unfortunately their rockstars had a habit of disappearing into the Schools machine at U15/U16 only to be enticed to clubs other then Gordon after High School graduation. Superstar teams is not entirely a unique Gordon phenomena.

Like the ARU, many of those behind the current problems at Gordon are no longer there, but there is a bit of a mess left behind for the new team to clean up before progress can be made.
That is sad. I do remember that when we lived in Sydney there was a Wahroonga team in my son's age group that was very very good.
Last week Uni had enough Colts players at Penrith to make up four teams and they had 8 away with the NSW Colts. There are a lot of factors in play here, but I offer it as just an observation.
Best of luck to the Gordon Colts and their rebuilding.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Team Rehab can hit hard (and so can mid year break) but if Uni have enough players for 4 teams, then perhaps that could register a Uni Blue and Uni Gold team, with the Uni Gold team playing in the vacant slot created by the lack of a Gordon team in Colts 3's.

There would be logistic challenges, but this way 30 young men would get a game of footy each weak they wouldn't otherwise have. 15 would normally sit on the Uni 3rds bench (or be rostored off), and the other 15, from the club playing Gordon, would have a bye.

It is cyclical though. I think I read earlier that Parra 2 Blues also have a Colts player roster that is overflowing. Several years back, they struggled to field 1 Colts team, and that was belted from pillar to post every week. Credit to @BellyTwoBlues and his team of volunteers who have turned things around there.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
I don't get it with Gordon Colts. They have Barker, Knox, St Pius, SHORE, Asquith BHS, Normanhurst BHS (any others?) all on the rail line and in the catchment area. Something must be wrong.

When they were in touch with the schools they were strong (Hawkins taught at Shore, and coached the school boys). Being in touch with the Juniors helps.

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
Dave I don't think you will find that is a problem. Tim Wallace ex Wallaby and ex Gordon is 1st grade backs coach and a teacher at Shore.

I think you will just find Gordon has had it's reputation shattered so badly through the financial problems from the previous board that it takes a lot of re building.

It's not to necessarily say the program this season is bad or unorganised or lacking the facilities to progress footballers and for them to enjoy it it's the damage done by previous seasons that has caused it.

Better signs this year with basically two new teams of colts. Quite a lot are back for next season so if Gordon look after them and they do OK hopefully three teams go around next season.

They need to regain the trust of the locals to an extent though the number of kids flooding to Norths (have been particularly aggressive in targeting Gordon Juniors), Uni, Warringah etc so if some positive results this season are gained I imagine a few will start coming back.

The ever present threat of Subbies rugby converging all over Gordon has had it's problems as well. Knox Old Boys could field a reasonable 1st/2nd grade colts side some seasons!

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Dave I don't think you will find that is a problem. Tim Wallace ex Wallaby and ex Gordon is 1st grade backs coach and a teacher at Shore.

I think you will just find Gordon has had it's reputation shattered so badly through the financial problems from the previous board that it takes a lot of re building.

It's not to necessarily say the program this season is bad or unorganised or lacking the facilities to progress footballers and for them to enjoy it it's the damage done by previous seasons that has caused it.

Better signs this year with basically two new teams of colts. Quite a lot are back for next season so if Gordon look after them and they do OK hopefully three teams go around next season.

They need to regain the trust of the locals to an extent though the number of kids flooding to Norths (have been particularly aggressive in targeting Gordon Juniors), Uni, Warringah etc so if some positive results this season are gained I imagine a few will start coming back.

The ever present threat of Subbies rugby converging all over Gordon has had it's problems as well. Knox Old Boys could field a reasonable 1st/2nd grade colts side some seasons!

Didn't Tim only return to the coaching ranks last year?
Doesn't happen by just waking up one morning, need to walk the walk to talk the talk.
Whilst Hawkins was Shore, I recall Baker & Knox boys use to gravitate towards Gordon.

Good to see work and improvement is underway

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Is there still an Under 85kg competition running, or is this solely the realm of NSW Subbies?

This is a good idea to give the undernourished an avenue to chase their rugby dreams without facing the rather daunting prospect of having to take on a 125kg fatty charging at them with Gilbert tucked securely under their sweaty armpits.

The Butts

Herbert Moran (7)
I guess I have to put my hand up and make a comment. I have mentioned before I only became involved with Gordon this season, so can't comment on all the talk about the previous seasons - so I cry "ignorance".
But I can talk about this season.
At the start of the year there were enough players to form 3 colts sides - which was an absolutely remarkable turnaround of 300% over last year. Unfortunately there were an early couple of injuries (shoulder and knee operations) which started to put a dent in ranks.
The players were absolutely loving their training, and the respect for the coaching team and the patterns they were putting together was clearly evident. Sure they were going to have to punch above their weight, but were very willing to get into the fight :D
The trial against Warringah had Gordon field three teams of Colts but with very few reserves. Against Easts they were down to 2 colts sides with quite a few reserves, the same against the Newcastle Wanderers last weekend.
I don't intend to even try to get into the heads of the Gordon management, but it looks like the decision was made to field 2 colts with ample reserves, rather than field 3 colts and take the risk of losing a few players and then having to fold during the season - this would really "piss people off".
And the railway line can also be an "enemy" with about 5 Central Coast boys dropping out because of the reality of the distances to travel for training - perhaps they'll be back next year when their school commitments finish???
I am just coming to terms with the "need to hate Gordon" and I must say that this is an entirely new experience. Maybe this rubs off on some of the younger players who decide that Gordon isn't for them because they don't like the idea of being hated ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.