• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Colts - 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
I am just coming to terms with the "need to hate Gordon" and I must say that this is an entirely new experience. Maybe this rubs off on some of the younger players who decide that Gordon isn't for them because they don't like the idea of being hated ;)

G'day Butts, cant see any recent comments about hating Gordon, great to see 2 teams with ample reserves - i think that is the safest approach.

As I've said above and in most of the threads I'm looking at - minis and juniors and the rest will follow.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
"need to hate" = healthy tribalism - nothing more.

Interesting comment about the Coasties and their "School Commitments". Further evidence to confirm that players are voting with their feet and moving out of SJRU/NSWJRU comps while they are still at school in search of more challenging competitions through the Colts model.

Formalise this and have Colts run all U16 and above rugby. This creates a good pathway into "proper" Colts teams post school, and allows the Clubs and Scouts to see non-AAGPS/CAS boys in a competitive environment.

SJRU and NSW JRU are not up to it.

The Butts

Herbert Moran (7)
"need to hate" = healthy tribalism - nothing more.

Interesting comment about the Coasties and their "School Commitments". Further evidence to confirm that players are voting with their feet and moving out of SJRU/NSWJRU comps while they are still at school

While I can understand the "healthy tribalism" in Sydney rugby, perhaps some of the more impressionable young players see it entirely differently . . . just making an observation. Nice tongue in cheek comment from BR that they wouldn't end up at Uni :p

I know that the Coastie boys went back to playing with their Coast Clubs after pulling out of Gordon, and certainly stayed with the "rugby family". This had nothing to do with the Staggie environment, it was just that the couple of hours on a train each training day started to interfer with the Year 12 study load.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Not suggesting that there is anything wrong at Chatswood. Far from it, the fact that some kids are prepared to travel a fair distance suggests that someone has faith in the Gordon revival.

The issue is that the initial "preferred" option taken by the boys (and their families) is that they chose Colts over local Juniors.

I suspect behind that decision was a desire to gain exposure to advanced (or appropriate) training and coaching, participate in well administered, competitive and challenging competition, possibly get facetime in front of some of the movers and shakers of Rugby.

Bottom line, they believed that Colts was where they should be even though they were still at school.

Done that

Ron Walden (29)
Not suggesting that there is anything wrong at Chatswood. Far from it, the fact that some kids are prepared to travel a fair distance suggests that someone has faith in the Gordon revival.

The issue is that the initial "preferred" option taken by the boys (and their families) is that they chose Colts over local Juniors.

I suspect behind that decision was a desire to gain exposure to advanced (or appropriate) training and coaching, participate in well administered, competitive and challenging competition, possibly get facetime in front of some of the movers and shakers of Rugby.

Bottom line, they believed that Colts was where they should be even though they were still at school.
The underlying reason they considered playing colts football would have been that they were approached by the club.
Their subsequent experience resulted in them deciding to play locally.
It's not uncommon.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Yeah, the realities of playing a full season with more than 10 games, travel, training on cold and wet nights, no school holidays off, little "respect" paid to previous representative honours gained, and playing in front of 5 sets of parents, 2 dogs and 4 girlfriends can be rather confronting to many that are used to the more "child friendly" environment of Junior Clubland.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
OK,three more sleeps to go,time for some predictions.
Uni,Manly,Randwick & Norths to makeup the top 4.
Big chance for Uni being toppled this year,depending on what the other clubs do with their stars.
If they can all field their superstars within the points cap & they are not stolen by grade,all three clubs have the potential to topple the Premiers.

First round prediction:

Wicks to smash the Beasties
Norths will beat the Woodies
Parra will do a big job on Gordon
Uni are playing Penrith
Manly will beat Southern
West Harbour will put away the Rats.
Easy,if only you could put money on it!

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I'm interested to see the Team Sheets to see who is playing where, who has been promoted to grade, and how the Clubs are managing the challenges of the revised player points cap.

Anyone know if the players from the U20 tournament will be players will be running out this weekend?

ILTW, I think you are on the money regarding the top 4, and the possible premiership winner.

Blackers13

Syd Malcolm (24)
OK,three more sleeps to go,time for some predictions.
Uni,Manly,Randwick & Norths to makeup the top 4.
Big chance for Uni being toppled this year,depending on what the other clubs do with their stars.
If they can all field their superstars within the points cap & they are not stolen by grade,all three clubs have the potential to topple the Premiers.

First round prediction:

Wicks to smash the Beasties
Norths will beat the Woodies
Parra will do a big job on Gordon
Uni are playing Penrith
Manly will beat Southern
West Harbour will put away the Rats.
Easy,if only you could put money on it!
I wish I shared your confidence ILTW. No Coleman (Force), Leano (Study), Olmstead (injured), Leota (France), Fakafanua (retired) or Tavola (injured) means a new look side for the Two Blues. There's a real rivalry emerging and I expect Gordon will be up for this one.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
A Grade comment in the Colts thread @ Ryano9.

Turning to Colts, how do you rate the Two Blues chances at the final 4?

As I understand it, most of the team 2013 will be back (and they were no mugs then), a year wiser, older, confident and stronger.

Without seeing the team sheets or any results for this season, I reckon you must fancy yourselves to take a couple of high profile scalps, and to be in the hunt for the top 4 finish.

All should be revealed by round 4.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Bloody close to that third team there @Gibbo. Another 8 or so and you'd back yourselves to recruit another one or two throughout the season as well as having stock to cover Team Rehab.

Your challenge will be to keep the bench warmers interested for later in the season when you will need them, and more importantly to rock up next year. If they aren't getting meaningful game time the young folk tend to drift off to Subbies, or other pursuits.

Any thoughts on proposing a game of 15 minute halves 10 A-Side rules rugby against the opposition colts 3rds in that time slot?

no9

Ted Fahey (11)
Clubs work hard to foster a 3rd grade colts team to ensure player depth and even though the SRU has been aware that both Gordon and Penrith would struggle again, don't have a plan B in place.

So this weekend Uni are playing themselves, and so are Parramatta, when with just a touch of organisational capability they could be playing each other as part of a ten team home and away competition.

And people wonder why rugby is a professional sporting laughing stock. For god's sake get rid of the old boys brigade and get some people in who can run a raffle at least.

Can't wait to see what they can screw up with the 3rd tier level of mismanagement.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I think most Clubs would prefer to have a couple of extra byes in Colts 3's and keep them all together,rather than the 3's having a totally different draw to the other 2 Colts grades all year.

Blackers13

Syd Malcolm (24)
A Grade comment in the Colts thread @ Ryano9.

Turning to Colts, how do you rate the Two Blues chances at the final 4?

As I understand it, most of the team 2013 will be back (and they were no mugs then), a year wiser, older, confident and stronger.

Without seeing the team sheets or any results for this season, I reckon you must fancy yourselves to take a couple of high profile scalps, and to be in the hunt for the top 4 finish.

All should be revealed by round 4.
Yep, I forgot what thread I was in. Sorry! And in that case I agree with you but we won't be taking Gordon lightly in Colts either. In terms of the season we are older and wiser and have some depth. I think we finished 5th in 1's last year, anything less than that would be a disappointment.

the baz

Alfred Walker (16)
Yeah, the realities of playing a full season with more than 10 games, travel, training on cold and wet nights, no school holidays off, little "respect" paid to previous representative honours gained, and playing in front of 5 sets of parents, 2 dogs and 4 girlfriends can be rather confronting to many that are used to the more "child friendly" environment of Junior Clubland.

I cant speak for the all country players, but know a few playing in the sydney comps. Country rugby is struggling, particularly on the coast (the jgc 15's team in the 3 games i watched, were ordinary, maybe 4 decent players). The better players are moved past colts and into grade to boost numbers, and many are just not ready. They like the idea of playing with and against players around their own ages. Some will ensure the travel, even if its one night per week and play 3rds, just to play in a better standard, but in their own age. I hope Gordon do get these guys back next season, but also build on the local talent... 3 colts teams for the stags would be awesome, for the competition, ut also players and supporters.

Ozzie Bob

Charlie Fox (21)
I think you have to take into consideration the competition Gordon now have for colts players.

Take this into consideration in terms of subbies clubs that have colts teams around them:

* Knox Old Boys (Didnt have colts 7/8 years ago)
* Barker Old Boys (Didnt have colts 7/8 years ago)
* St Ives
* Lindfield
* Brothers (Didnt have colts until last year)

Suddenly Gordon don't have access to over 100 colts players and Norths are being very active by having sponsorship deals with Barker and Knox Old Boys through Cabana Bar. NB they aren't sponsoring Barker Old boys this year.

the baz

Alfred Walker (16)
Seem to be some exciting colt games this weekend. Anyone care to predict the outcomes of this weekends games?

Tah and feathered

Watty Friend (18)
Been a couple of tips but I think the 2 results that will go against the general thinking is
Rats to beat Wests
Souths to beat Manly

I have seen Wests and they have big forwards who still might be a few weeks from fitness plus there backs are limited in attack and I believe Warringahs backs could be a bit too sharp

Souths to beat Manly through the backs but it won't be won till the last 5 or 10 minutes. Game of the round by 2 serious contenders

Status
Not open for further replies.