• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Colts - 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

the baz

Alfred Walker (16)
I agree with most HJ. My favourites are Randwick - recruited well and have held on to some talent from last season. Souths are my bolters, showed good form last season and will build on this.
I think this year will be a closer competition. It would be interesting to see how the clubs are going coaches wise, with many moving on to grade, whilst others just moving on.
Uni, norths, Randwick Gordon, I know have changed their coaching staff, so may have an impact, positively or negatively.

Prodigy

Alex Ross (28)
Just read that Andy Fairfull, who was the Head Coach of Eastwood's Colts program, has left and taken up the General Manager position of Newcastle Hunter Rugby. Any idea as to who has taken over at the Woodies?

GPSrow

Watty Friend (18)
Gents, went to Gordon's recent Pre-season training last week and things are looking very promising. Looking at the numbers, there were approx 40-50 training hard and well. This year the training seems to be a lot more direct and structured with the boys getting the most out of each session and bonding as a team unit. There are still a few of the lazy senior boys still to rock up but the 1st year fellas are getting into it with a lot of GPS/CAS banter bringing the boys together.

Good to see plenty of country boys and gappies joining the Gordon Crusade, should be a good season for the men in the tartan.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Too quiet for too long.

Pre-season is now well underway at all clubs, with many of the young men who have been slogging it out all summer in the "elite/academy" programmes being joined by the "regulars" that will round out the club lists for the upcoming season.

By now the graduates of the Class of 2014 will have been integrated into their various clubs for Colts, and the last of the Class of 2012 vintage will have moved on up to Grade Rugby.

Who is where, who has moved, who is staying put?
Where and when are the trials?
Who has been parachuted into Grade and/or Sevens Programmes?

Will Gordon and Emus have a full roster of players to fill 3 teams week in week out?

What is happening with the Under 19/Under 18/"Colts 4" competition? How are the numbers looking across the clubs/districts?

Tah and feathered

Watty Friend (18)
I went to the southern districts 7s yesterday and spoke to keith holmes who is in charge of the colts and asked how the colts are looking for 2015.
He said they will be a very young colts group with 80% of players eligable for 18s. There numbers are very good and will be able to field 4 sides with plenty of reserves. They have worked really hard on making sure they get all there juniors and stop other clubs grabbing the locals. They missed out on kieran boiden who played combined states to Randwick and that was only due to uni and Latinapulu the Newington 12 went to randwick to play with his mates.
They said they have recruited well and did not get too involved with getting into battles with 3 or 4 other sydney clubs over players and used his connects to get players from other parts of Aust and other places and have recruited some good talent . There Academy ran from 6th november and recently finished and again another great success and they went to canberra last week with 2 sides, an 18s and 1st colts side and played Easts of canberra and the 18s lost 3 tries to 2 and 1sts won 3 tries to 1 in extremly hot conditions. Keith said the expectations are all 4 sides in the semi finals and that souths colts are looking quite strong for the next 3 seasons as this group move through there time in colts.

Brett Kenna

Frank Row (1)
Twoblues are looking good for two under 18's teams at the moment, with colts numbers close to 80-90 players. Our 18's will have the chance to play
colts if selected and meet the criteria. The forwards are looking extremely
strong across the board.

forwards4ever

Jimmy Flynn (14)
The draw for 2015 for Colts has been published on NSWRU web site:
http://www.nswrugby.com.au/ShuteShield/DrawsResultsLadders/3rdGradeColtsDrawsResults.aspx

It looks like all clubs will have 3 Colts teams this season.

That is good news.

If there is to be an Under 18 (or Colts 4) grade, it doesn't look like the competition results and table will be tracked by the "usual" Shute Shield website.

Norths don't at the moment. Playing Easts tomorrow with only enough for 2 teams.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Norths had some quality players last year, but were lacking player numbers in their overall roster.

I'd heard whispers that they had recruited well from the Central Coast, and one of the GPS schools. Be a shame to have a bye in Colts 3.

Maybe the draw on the NSW website is an aspirational one?

Dingasden

Ward Prentice (10)
Seems a typical half arsed nswru way of managing things, either they are part of the shute shield clubs or they are not.
That's a bit harsh. NSWRU have done s lot of work with Sydney Juniors in the last 6 months to ensure u18s colts has its best chance to work while allowing for a competition for 17s or 18s on s Sunday. U18s are by their age - juniors and so must come under Sydney Juniors jurisdiction but will work with Shute Shield clubs to ensure kids don't pay double levies & insurance and to move between Saturday & Sunday comps. Also non Shute Shield clubs (eg Newport, Beecroft, Lane Cove, Forest, etc) have been invited to enter teams if there is no u18s entered for their district.

Brett Kenna

Frank Row (1)
Twoblues and Randwick had an entertaining hitout today at Granville, even with both clubs missing numerous players. The Wicks 3rd grade were too strong for the home team, but a 5 tries to 4 in 2nd grade was a much closer game. Wicks ran away with a about 8 tries to 3 in 1st's. The Parra boys in most games were better in the scums, and the forwards took the ball up in all three games with vigour. Too much turn over ball didn't help their cause. Wicks played well in firsts out wide and ran in a number of good tries when they were able to turn the ball over quickly. Still a good start for the Parra boys, with many new players still finding their feet. Hopefully a trial can be arranged for next weekend, as the Melbourne Unicorns trial looks to have fallen through. If not it will be a solid training session, in preparation for the trial against Southern Districts away.

the baz

Alfred Walker (16)
Watched easts v norths trial. Good first hitout, scrappy games as expected in hot conditions. Saw one of the worst coward punches from easts hooker, red card, deserves a long spell on the sideline.

Whale berry

Larry Dwyer (12)
That's a bit harsh. NSWRU have done s lot of work with Sydney Juniors in the last 6 months to ensure u18s colts has its best chance to work while allowing for a competition for 17s or 18s on s Sunday. U18s are by their age - juniors and so must come under Sydney Juniors jurisdiction but will work with Shute Shield clubs to ensure kids don't pay double levies & insurance and to move between Saturday & Sunday comps. Also non Shute Shield clubs (eg Newport, Beecroft, Lane Cove, Forest, etc) have been invited to enter teams if there is no u18s entered for their district.

Fair call, I applaud the initiative and kudos for NSWRU for getting it up.
I guess if I was running a senior club and had a team playing under my name and my colours I would prefer to have some control over it.
Not sure about being U18's means they have to play under SJRU, plenty of U18's are playing colts already.
Anyway lets hope nothing falls between the cracks of NSWRU and SJRU.

Status
Not open for further replies.