• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Colts - 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blazing Saddles

Sydney Middleton (9)
Can you show us your Calcs?

Don't forget the points halve in year 2.

Halved? my word it's confusing. So a 6 point player in 2016 becomes a 3 point player in 2017 and a 4 point player in 2016 becomes a 2 point player in 2017?

It doesn't seem that clear in the player points thread, hopefully someone has a copy of the rules to help us all.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
Halved? my word it's confusing. So a 6 point player in 2016 becomes a 3 point player in 2017 and a 4 point player in 2016 becomes a 2 point player in 2017?

It doesn't seem that clear in the player points thread, hopefully someone has a copy of the rules to help us all.
Agree it is confusing and I might be wrong.

Can't seem to find anything explaining it on any official website.

Found a declaration form for last year which I assume is the same used this year.

Rugby Survivor

Ward Prentice (10)
The points don't halve they drop by 1 point for each year played at the club.
Any Australian Schoolboy from 2015 should be a 5 point player unless they played juniors at that club. Even then they can only go down to a 3 point player. Can only have maximum 50% deduction on points.
The anomaly is for Schoolboy State Championship players from 2015. Last year those players were worth 4 points. This year they are only worth 1 point. This is due to the fact the SRU left off 2015 Schoolboy Championship players from the schedule. Previously that player would have been worth 3 points in his second year of Colts but it has changed.
The SRU needs to be on top of the points system specifically for Colts.
Once again there is no point in having one club beat potentially the second best team in the 1sts Colts competition by over 60 points.
No wonder rugby in Australia has problems when the competition at the U20 level which develops players is so stuffed up and dominated by one or two clubs. Clearly shown by our poor performances at U20 World Cup.

Blazing Saddles

Sydney Middleton (9)
The points don't halve they drop by 1 point for each year played at the club.
Any Australian Schoolboy from 2015 should be a 5 point player unless they played juniors at that club. Even then they can only go down to a 3 point player. Can only have maximum 50% deduction on points.
The anomaly is for Schoolboy State Championship players from 2015. Last year those players were worth 4 points. This year they are only worth 1 point. This is due to the fact the SRU left off 2015 Schoolboy Championship players from the schedule. Previously that player would have been worth 3 points in his second year of Colts but it has changed.
The SRU needs to be on top of the points system specifically for Colts.
Once again there is no point in having one club beat potentially the second best team in the 1sts Colts competition by over 60 points.
No wonder rugby in Australia has problems when the competition at the U20 level which develops players is so stuffed up and dominated by one or two clubs. Clearly shown by our poor performances at U20 World Cup.

Thanks for this, explains it somewhat clearer.The 4 point to 1 point is certainly a massive drop.
Are Australian Schools Baa Baa players 6 or 4 point players?

Rugby Survivor

Ward Prentice (10)
Baa Baa players were 6 point players a couple of years ago but it is my understanding they are now only 4 point players as played School Championships. Next year unless changed they become 1 point players.

the baz

Alfred Walker (16)
Baa Baa players were 6 point players a couple of years ago but it is my understanding they are now only 4 point players as played School Championships. Next year unless changed they become 1 point players.

baa baas are 6 pts as they are still classed as aus school boy.
I know some get confused with the 50% discount - a player cannot receive more than a 50% discount - so you cant have a reduction for (returning player\junior\father played at club) you can only receive a max of 50% - you cannot be 4 point player and become 1 point the same year, max you have to be is 2. That's my understanding from previous readings

S

sidelineview

baa baas are 6 pts as they are still classed as aus school boy.
I know some get confused with the 50% discount - a player cannot receive more than a 50% discount - so you cant have a reduction for (returning player\junior\father played at club) you can only receive a max of 50% - you cannot be 4 point player and become 1 point the same year, max you have to be is 2. That's my understanding from previous readings

My understanding is baa baa players are worth 4 points with local juniors dropping to 2 points, but wouldn't it be nice to view a clear set of player points rules somewhere .....

Rugby Survivor

Ward Prentice (10)
Baz you are correct that you can only go from a 4 point player to a 2 point player in that season.
However as the rules do not have points for 2015 School State Champ players they become a 2 point player automatically. If they played in season 2016 for the club then they get the 1 point deduction and only worth 1 point in 2017.

Blazing Saddles

Sydney Middleton (9)
/quote]

So all 2nd year colts are now on 2 points, unless they were a 2015 Schoolboy or Baa Baa, which would make them 5 points if they are at the same club.

I think what they are saying is that 2nd year colts who played in Australian Schools carnival in 2015 go from 4 points last year to 1 point this year.

All other 2nd year colts apart from Aus schools and Baa Baas are on 1 point. Hence with this change in rules it would encourage teams to "quarantine" 4 point players in 2nds and 3rds for a year until they become 1 point players the next year.
Guess the gap will keep widening and those players sitting in 2nds and 3rds will bypass an opportunity to test their skills in the 1st grade competition.

lightning rod

Chris McKivat (8)
Well when you've got all the best players it should be a clinical victory. Does anyone know who checks the players points? By my calculations Uni were WAY over the allowed 40 points.

Surely Sydney Rugby has an auditor that checks the points before and after each round.

It's nice to see someone from randwick honest enough to admit there should not have been so many Randwick players in the Gen Squad
can you hear the violins too

Rugby Survivor

Ward Prentice (10)
Blazing Saddles you are right. A number of those players were in those 2nd and 3rds Colts teams. This year they are only worth one point.
In regards to Gen Blue players it was requested that they be worth points if they played Gen Blue last year but the SRU did not want to make a ruling on Gen Blue players. So you have Gen Blue players running around for a club who did nothing to develop them as a junior and they are only worth one point.
There is a reason why Uni continue to win the 1sts Colts Premiership.

Actually I'm not from Randwick, just an old boy that follows the game. Randwick's points also need to be checked and double checked.
Does anyone have a copy of the rules or is it part of the chamber of secrets?

Wouldn't it be nice if the SRU deemed that boys must play Colts at their junior club unless said club was full. At the moment The Corporation poach all the best players from the less financial clubs, followed closely by Randwick. I know if it were my son I'd have him playing at his junior club to help them improve rather than chasing trophies and glory.

But what would I know I'm only a rugby fan.

Here ya go Badger
Sydney Uni

1 J. Spencer - 1

2 T. Horton - 5

3 H. Johnson-Holmes - 5

4 P. Fenwicke - 1

5 R. Rotuisolia - 2

6 L. Swinton - 5

7 R. Suttor - 6

8 M. Bason - 2

9 B. Travers - 2

10 D. Poletto -1

11 E. King - 2

12 G. Porter - 2

13 J. Armstrong – 6

14 N. Tamwoy - 1

15 T. Clements – 2

D. Calavassy - 1

P. Calavassy - 1

S. Hasegawa – 1

Total - 46 (it is meant to be 40 isn't it?)
my calcs are going off what Hugearse posted last year and my understanding is the "rules" haven't changed/

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
^^^^^
Last year the results and players points were posted on the site via fusesports. Does anyone have access and can do the same? I'm pretty sure Swinton wasn't an Aussie Schoolboy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the baz

Alfred Walker (16)
I think what they are saying is that 2nd year colts who played in Australian Schools carnival in 2015 go from 4 points last year to 1 point this year.

All other 2nd year colts apart from Aus schools and Baa Baas are on 1 point. Hence with this change in rules it would encourage teams to "quarantine" 4 point players in 2nds and 3rds for a year until they become 1 point players the next year.
Guess the gap will keep widening and those players sitting in 2nds and 3rds will bypass an opportunity to test their skills in the 1st grade competition.
A player cannot go from 4 points to 1 as the rules only allow for a max of 50% reduction so they can go from 4 to 2 only

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
Here ya go Badger
Sydney Uni

1 J. Spencer - 1

2 T. Horton - 5

3 H. Johnson-Holmes - 5

4 P. Fenwicke - 1

5 R. Rotuisolia - 2

6 L. Swinton - 5

7 R. Suttor - 6

8 M. Bason - 2

9 B. Travers - 2

10 D. Poletto -1

11 E. King - 2

12 G. Porter - 2

13 J. Armstrong – 6

14 N. Tamwoy - 1

15 T. Clements – 2

D. Calavassy - 1

P. Calavassy - 1

S. Hasegawa – 1

Total - 46 (it is meant to be 40 isn't it?)
my calcs are going off what Hugearse posted last year and my understanding is the "rules" haven't changed/

I think if I understand the discussion all the players you have with 2 points are now 1 point players and there are 6 of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.