• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Colts - 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sidelineview

It's hard to see how it'll ease the player points pressure at Randwick when he was a 1 pointer last season

He was a Gen Blue player. I'LL have to research the points system to see how it works.

S

sidelineview

He was named in the the wider Gen Blues training squad this year, but wasn't last season

OK, thanks.

This no doubt is covering old ground but to clarify, 40 points is allowed for 1st grade Colts teams and 30 points for 2nd grade.

Randwick look to have a lot of 6 and 4 point players with some discounts thrown in for some.

OldColt

Sydney Middleton (9)
OK, thanks.

This no doubt is covering old ground but to clarify, 40 points is allowed for 1st grade Colts teams and 30 points for 2nd grade.

Randwick look to have a lot of 6 and 4 point players with some discounts thrown in for some.

Sorry to seem like a pedant SLV, but we've been told that the total player points will be the same as last year (i.e. 40 for 1st Colts & 35 for 2nd Colts) - apparently the significant change this year is that the 40 & 35 points will only include the 15 players on the field and won't include the reserves in a cumulative total - if the reserves take the field, then their points will count in the team total from the time they start, but at the same time, the points allocated to the player being replaced will come off the team total.

This sounds like a potential nightmare for team managers, who'll not only have to be sorting their own stuff out, but will also have to be monitoring who comes off and who goes on for the opposition. We've also been told that clubs will have to publish their player points allocations at the beginning of the season so that other clubs can confirm the accuracy of the information on the team sheets.

I can't see that these changes will benefit anyone other than the clubs who've previously had difficulty fitting all their high points players within the existing allocations.

redblack

Larry Dwyer (12)
^^^^
Yep OC
Back to 2 years ago - run a player on for 5 minutes in 2s or 3s and bring him on as a ZERO pointed reserve in 1sts. End up with 50 points on the field..

Funny how the game is manipulated for the lucky few...No wonder people just walk away.

Then again will anyone police it and what penalties if any will be handed out?

S

sidelineview

Thanks OC.

It actually sounds like a fair system re replacement players as compared to what i understand happened last season, but the team 'points guy'' will have to be on the ball. Sounds like a job for an assistant manager.

Monitoring the other team's replacements could be the real difficulty.

I assume all games are videoed.

Sounds like fun and games ahead.

S

sidelineview

^^^^
Yep OC
Back to 2 years ago - run a player on for 5 minutes in 2s or 3s and bring him on as a ZERO pointed reserve in 1sts. End up with 50 points on the field..

Funny how the game is manipulated for the lucky few.No wonder people just walk away.

Then again will anyone police it and what penalties if any will be handed out?

Will that happen again, or will that player's points be counted given its a fresh game?

redblack

Larry Dwyer (12)
Will that happen again, or will that player's points be counted given its a fresh game?

Not how OC has explained the possible ruling above. You would have a max of 40 points on the field at any one time, however you could replace a 6 point player with another 6 point player , hence throughout the course of the game quite possible to utilise way over the 40 points in player value ...

On a brighter note I believe that OC's team Souths are in for a big year, have developed their players well over the past 3 years with a solid program in place, and hopefully can go 1 better than Norths last year and win the premiership..

S

sidelineview

Not how OC has explained the possible ruling above. You would have a max of 40 points on the field at any one time, however you could replace a 6 point player with another 6 point player , hence throughout the course of the game quite possible to utilise way over the 40 points in player value .

On a brighter note I believe that OC's team Souths are in for a big year, have developed their players well over the past 3 years with a solid program in place, and hopefully can go 1 better than Norths last year and win the premiership..

OK, but in theory, no team should have any more than a total of 40 points for players on the field at any one time.

That creates an even contest on the field, but it gives an advantage to teams with a strong reserve bench and sounds as if it will work in Randwick's favour this season.

How many players are allowed as replacements in any one game?

OldColt

Sydney Middleton (9)
Not how OC has explained the possible ruling above. You would have a max of 40 points on the field at any one time, however you could replace a 6 point player with another 6 point player , hence throughout the course of the game quite possible to utilise way over the 40 points in player value .

You're quite right RB! As I understand it, 1sts Colts will be allowed to have a maximum of 40 points on the field at any one time, and 2nds will have 35 (both the same as last season). The difference from last season is that when a player being replaced leaves the field, his points come off the team total, but the replacement's points are then added to the total when he takes the field.

The changes mean that the team allocation of 40 (or 35) points only applies to the 15 players on the field, whereas last year we had to fit 23 players (if all reserves were used) under the points cap. Teams with a stable of high points players will be able to bring these guys on as replacements for other high points players, and as long as their 15-man total never exceeds the points allocation for that grade, they'll be okay.

And rather than evening things out, this rule change appears to be aimed at providing relief for the 2 or 3 teams who consistently have issues fitting their stars under the points cap.

And thanks for the positive words about Souths, RB! We've been fortunate in being able to hold on to some good young players from last season, and have expanded that group with a number of very high quality, but relatively unknown, school leavers, who also happen to be locals, as well as guys new to the club. It's a testament to our local systems that we also have 3 Gen Blue U20 reps, who all came through junior rugby down here. The squad's been training hard for a while now, and we had a good hit out against Singleton as a 'pre-trial' trial last weekend (won the games, and, more importantly, the boat race!) We're looking forward to the trials against Easts, Wollongong Uni & Norths, and can't wait for the season proper to start. I think its fair to say that we're optimistic about things this season, without being over-confident.

S

sidelineview

I think I've got it now.
15 on the field and 8 on the reserves bench with an unlimited number of times replacements can be made during a game using all 23 players. As long as the total onfield player points do not exceed 40.

This will give teams with a strong reserve bench an advantage concerning injuries and at times during a game when fatigue becomes a factor especially towards the end of each half. Also if any particular player is having an.off day.

It can be a big advantage although I suspect coaches wont want to chop and change their players too much during a game just for the sake of it. That could go against them.

Can players who have played in the 2nds sit on the bench for 1sts ?

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
I think I've got it now.
15 on the field and 8 on the reserves bench with an unlimited number of times replacements can be made during a game using all 23 players. As long as the total onfield player points do not exceed 40.

This will give teams with a strong reserve bench an advantage concerning injuries and at times during a game when fatigue becomes a factor especially towards the end of each half. Also if any particular player is having an.off day.

It can be a big advantage although I suspect coaches wont want to chop and change their players too much during a game just for the sake of it. That could go against them.

Can players who have played in the 2nds sit on the bench for 1sts ?

I think your getting confused I don't think it would be unlimited interchange just that the 15 players on the fields points must not exceed 40 at all times during the game or 35 in 2nd colts instance.

S

sidelineview

I think your getting confused I don't think it would be unlimited interchange just that the 15 players on the fields points must not exceed 40 at all times during the game or 35 in 2nd colts instance.

So what are the restrictions regarding the 8 reserves being used as replacement players during a match?

the baz

Alfred Walker (16)
Ut seems a ridiculous situation. A team can start on 40.points, and replace a 6 point player with a 6 point player and it doesnt add to the team points. All that does is create the haves and have nots. My understanding was the points system was to even the spread of talented individuals across the board. This new system doesn't do that. The club with the most money and most to offer players wins. The system last season was fine, i dont see why it needed fo change. I assume clubs recruited and realized they had too many high point players, probably over promised, and then asked for the system to change. Disappointing

OldColt

Sydney Middleton (9)
Ut seems a ridiculous situation. A team can start on 40.points, and replace a 6 point player with a 6 point player and it doesnt add to the team points. All that does is create the haves and have nots. My understanding was the points system was to even the spread of talented individuals across the board. This new system doesn't do that. The club with the most money and most to offer players wins. The system last season was fine, i dont see why it needed fo change. I assume clubs recruited and realized they had too many high point players, probably over promised, and then asked for the system to change. Disappointing

It's disappointing alright! The clubs were asked for submissions regarding possible changes to the existing points system, and some of the more sensible of those proposed reducing the totals points allowed for Colts 1 & 2, while leaving it so that reserves were counted in the total. Someone even suggested that the top 4 teams at the end of the competition one year should have their points allocation reduced the following year - both of these options would have helped reduce the dominance of certain clubs by preventing them from acquiring and then warehousing large numbers of high-points players.

Of course, players can make up their own minds about who they want to play with after school, but with all the offers of scholarships, accommodation and cash, the big clubs aren't going to tell these guys that they're likely to spend a season on the bench for 2nds or even 3rds, when they could be playing 1sts at their local club. A more effective (and rigorously enforced) player points system could've been used to limit the dominance of the main offenders.

S

sidelineview

It will certainly favour the ''big'' clubs, especially with 8 fresh reserves on the bench, all of whom could potentially be high ranking players.

OldColt

Sydney Middleton (9)
It will certainly favour the ''big'' clubs, especially with 8 fresh reserves on the bench, all of whom could potentially be high ranking players.

8 reserves are allowed - I'm not sure that any club has the capacity to have 8 'fresh' reserves on the bench. Most reserves will have played the previous game.

S

sidelineview

8 reserves are allowed - I'm not sure that any club has the capacity to have 8 'fresh' reserves on the bench. Most reserves will have played the previous game.

True but they could be high ranking players coming on in the 2nd half after a bit of a break. Still an advantage.

Gary Owen III

Syd Malcolm (24)

I think more so will be the challenge to get these guys onto the park at the same time and keep under 40 points.

Take Randwick (and am happy to be corrected) with no reduction for playing juniors in the Randwick district.
Pietsch (Gordon jnr) @ 6 pts,
Wilkinson (Cowra jnr) @ 6 pt,
Jaffer-Williams (Norths jnr) @ 6 pts,
Orpen (Eastwood jnr) @ 6 pts
Schoupp (Hunter jnr) @ 4 pts
Matthews (Blue mtns) @ 6 pts

That's potentially 34 points in just 6 players - Plus i don't know how the points are allocated to the other NSW U20's players, but i imagine they are worth more than 2 pts each?

Will take some creative accounting to field all these lads in 1st colts together.

Status
Not open for further replies.